Neo Geo CD New 3rd party game in development

Joined Feb 2005
97 Posts | 0+
Houston, TX
There is *now*  homebrew game in development for the Neo Geo CD.
http://www.game-shoppe.com/

I'm the programmer behind the Neo Geo CD demo (http://arcadedev.emuvibes.com ), and one of the programmers involved with the Super Fighter project.

Tonight I got the demo to boot on a real Neo Geo CD, and have recently been working on a Frog Bog clone for the Neo Geo/ Neo Geo CD and Genesis/Sega CD. Frog Feast is also booting on the real Neo Geo CD player.
:woot

Keep checking the page for updates.

If you'd like to see the demo on a real Neo Geo CD, download the file from http://arcadedev.emuvibes.com/files/ngcddemo.zip
and follow the instructions in the included readme file.

WOW!

Welcome to the forums..i'll be downloading this and trying it out immediatly. Any new info please feel free to post it up here...

Also..what happened to Super Fighter? I kept emailing ppl at oldergames for answers....

EDIT: Theres a million questions I can think of to ask you .. :lol

Does this progress you've made in any way point towards a possibility of porting other neo games to CD? Prehaps older small meg games that were never released on CD or protos?

OK..double post...

I burnt the demo and tried it out just now...it booted up fine ;)

Congratulations man, this is the first step in what I've been telling people would happen for a while now! I can't wait to see the frog game running on a Neo-Geo CD, please keep me informed if you will of any progress at all!

A litle hint to anyone else that tries to burn this demo though...be sure to use iso mode 1...I made a coaster the first time cuz I used iso mode 2 heh.

if you ever decide to make a side scroll shooter..... I am decent at guitar music.... and I could make you some good metal music for the shooter :)

†B†V† :hat

Dr_Ackula said:
Also..what happened to Super Fighter? I kept emailing ppl at oldergames for answers....

Does this progress you've made in any way point towards a possibility of porting other neo games to CD? Prehaps older small meg games that were never released on CD or protos?

I'm not sure what ended up happening to the Super Fighter stuff. I worked on it for little while. They spent a lot of time getting approval from the company that developed the original.
Then, with buying a house and everything, the project slipped through the cracks. And to top it off, I can't find the source code.

The project was at a point of displaying title screens and player selection. I never did get into the game play stuff.

I've gotten a few smaller roms to work in emulators, but haven't tried burning a CD. I'll give one a try in the next few days.

I've converted androdun, gururin, joy-joy, league bowling, Neo Mr Do, Puzzle Bobble, Puzzle de pon, and riding heros. I believe they all work, it's been a few years...

Thats very cool..especially Neo Mr Do since it was never released on CD.

I'd love to see the Ghostlop proto run on CD myself, that would be a huge deal hehe.

cdoty said:
I'm not sure what ended up happening to the Super Fighter stuff. I worked on it for little while. They spent a lot of time getting approval from the company that developed the original.
Then, with buying a house and everything, the project slipped through the cracks. And to top it off, I can't  find the source code.

The project was at a point of displaying title screens and player selection. I never did get into the game play stuff.

I've gotten a few smaller roms to work in emulators, but haven't tried burning a CD. I'll give one a try in the next few days.

I've converted androdun, gururin, joy-joy, league bowling, Neo Mr Do, Puzzle Bobble,  Puzzle de pon, and riding heros. I believe they all work, it's been a few years...
hm... can you do andro dunos?
I would really like to see that. :D

and if you ever decide to try to dev a side scroll shooter, I can try to help with some graphics... and guitar music :D

†B†V† :hat

The Neo Geo CD resets when loading the converted files. It always resets 20-25% of the way into the load.

I've removed the Neo-Geo protection data. I didn't remove the Neo Geo logo from the fix, but this shouldn't be a problem.

I can't imagine that SNK was worried about Neo Geo roms being released on the Neo Geo CD back in the early 90s.

I don' t think the rom should be executed at that point in the booting process.

Tomorrow night, I'll look at League bowling and see if there's a noticable difference, and attempt to replace pieces one at a time until it reset.

So wait... you're telling me that it could be possible to convert games that weren't originally release for the NGCD into a bootable NGCD format...? Like say... Money Puzzle Exchanger or Shock Troopers? I love those games :)

The big limitation is the size of the sprite data.

The sprite data does have to be converted, but that's about it.

And, they work under Neo Geo CD emulators.

I wish I could find out more information on the boot process. What files are loaded first, etc.

Joy Joy kid works on a real Neo Geo CD!  :lol

It was a small bit with the IRQ setup.

As a comparison between the versions:

My version uses version 2.0 of the sound driver. The original is 3.0.

The PGM file is 1MB versus 384k in the original.

There are some differences in the PRG file, probably dealing with playing CD audio tracks.

My version only has one audio track, and it's a warning message, and not part of the game.

And how about a new game for the Neo Geo CD! :D

Puzzle De Pon has also been converted and works on a real Neo Geo CD.

I haven't tested the programs in depth, but they do start up, and can be played.

This may be an issue with Puzzle De Pon, as it uses two sprite banks.

Andro Dunos works on a real Neo Geo CD player also.

As an interesting note. the last 64k (approx.) of the current Andro Dunos z80 rom (049-m1.bin) contains some text and stuff, including what would appear to be some source code from the game.

Money Exchanger and Shock Trooper would appear to be too big to work on the Neo Geo CD, I think.

Gururin works also  :eek:

This one gave me a little bit of a scare. NeoCD doesn't emulate something correctly, and the background was showing up half sized, but on the real system it works fine. (I use NeoCD as a preliminary test to make sure I have stuff set up correctly).

Can you put up a link to Andro Dunos and Gururin converted...so I can burn them to CD and try them out.

I assumed that Shock Troopers would be too bug...the ones that I'm really interested in is Waku Waku 7 and the Ghostlop prototype..Ghostlop..it should fit fine..Waku..I'm not too sure about..it was ported onto the Saturn though..so one would assume its size would not be a limitation.

But anyways, if you would...please provide me with these converted files and explain how to burn them...ie..if there is anything in particular that you have to do when making the CD...I'm dying to see this for myself.

I'm going to start with Joy Joy Kid, and make sure it works, since it's fairly small (< 1 MB).

It can be downloaded from:
http://www.game-shoppe.com/JoyJoyKid.zip

To burn the Neo Geo CD disk (using Nero):

Create a Mixed Mode CD.
On the ISO tab, ensure the CD is ISO Level 1 and Mode 1. Ensure the Character set is ISO 9660. Joliet is checked on mine, but also works if unchecked.

Click New.

Drop the Files from the JoyJoyKid.zip. (Do not drop the JoyJoyKid directory, but all of the files). There are no subdirectories on a Neo Geo CD.

Drop an Audio track into the lower window. (WAV/MP3). Nero will complain if the format isn't correct.
The WAV that I used 44 KHz, 16 bit Stereo. I think the minimum length is 4 seconds, but the one I use is 40 seconds. Nero might be a bit more tolerant with MP3s.

Burn away.

Please post the results here.

I've run into my first issue. Neo Mr Do converts and runs fine, except that there is a loud sound when hitting the enemy with the ball. I'm only copying 1 MB of the 2MB sound bank, since that's the largest I've seen on a Neo Geo CD. And the entire second bank is practically empty. There are may games that are mainly limited by the sound bank size.

I've looked into GhostLop, and it's currently using more space than I'm using for any other Neo Geo CD, but may work depending on how memory is set aside.

cdoty said:
Andro Dunos works on a real Neo Geo CD player also.

As an interesting note. the last 64k (approx.) of the current Andro Dunos z80 rom (049-m1.bin) contains some text and stuff, including what would appear to be some source code from the game.

Money Exchanger and Shock Trooper would appear to be too big to work on the Neo Geo CD, I think.

god bless you :)

Sorry, my page was down over the weekend and into this week.

But, I have put up an official page for the Neo Geo CD conversions.
http://www.game-shoppe.com/NeoGeoCD/