Neo Geo CD First Impressions

ahah...missed one

6 - loading ) Yes...this isnt the fastest loading system ever invented. On second thought, I am almost quite sure its the slowest.

Yet lets remember that when I purchased my PS3, it took well over an hour of downloading files, updating the OS, installing game files, and downloading patches, before I could fire up MGS4. Now THATS what I consider to be 'slow loading'. Even now if I bring home a brand new PS3 game, its still going to take longer to get into than a Neo Geo 1x cd rom will!

Sure, the AES is instantaneous, but is a little load time that bad? KOF 99 is the slowest loading game I currently have, and even that isnt too big of an issue to me. I play, I wait, I play some more. No biggie

You can get extension cords for the controllers, yes. I used to have several back in my heyday. You make some very good points about the girlfriend, I've found that girls like Neo-Geo more than other retro systems, with maybe the exception of the NES. Hell, I met my wife on a Neo-Geo forum actually :lol

I feel compelled to respond to the discussion of the "gf factor". It certainly is a phenomenon unique to the Neo Geo.

Neo Geo has a perfect cutesy title to "ease" girls into it with Bust A Move. From there, there are many cool female characters in most of the 2D fighters for them to play as. My lady's favorites are Cham Cham, Yuri Sakazaki, and Mai Shiranui.

I would say that Neo Geo has been a boon to my own relationship, and it appears that the rest of you would agree.

Oh, and Dr_Ackula, as far as meeting your wife on a Neo Geo forum, that is honestly the coolest thing I have ever heard! You are living out many a geeky high school daydream.

got my neo cd and samurai spirits 3 earlier this week and my first impressions are very positive. it's my first home neo experience too! i got the front loader as you probably know by now and it's a big console. it's lovely! big, but not too heavy. i like the boot screen and i like the cd pad. the buttons are responsive and have a good build quality. i like the shape of the controller too, feels comfortable. the clicky d-pad is okay and probably works better for some games than others. SS3 is a great game! i knew i made the right choice. great animation, great atmosphere.

i can't wait to start expanding my collection. i dont want all the games, but who knows. i also would like to get an AES to get the games not on CD.

all in all though, i can tell this is the best investment i've made in a while. i will need to get another CD console though because i can tell this front loader i have is on its way out. i will take care of it until its very last day!