Installing external DVD Drive

Status
Closed
Joined Jan 2010
4K Posts | 0+
Northern AL
A friend of mine has a six year old laptop and the disc drive is fried. I suggested that he get an external drive to replace it, considerign he's planning on getting a new laptop at some point this year. We went and got a DVD ROM external reader, installed it and whatnot, seemed to be set up right. However, when he tries to burn a CD, it tries to burn it using the faulty drive in the laptop. How can we change it to where it recognizes the external drive?

if its a dvd rom it won't burn. A dvdr or dvdrw will burn and assuming it's installed correctly you'll have to tell whatever program you're using to burn discs to use the new drive.

http://www.amazon.com/eTDU108-External-Slim-DVD-ROM-Black/dp/B002HKFYDY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334000659&sr=8-4
This is what we got. The guy in electronics at walmart said it would burn. Then again, I doubt he knew anything about it.

That's definitely not a burner. Both Amazon and Newegg list only reading capabilities. Go back and return it. I would recommend going to Best Buy or similar store to buy an external.

Status
Closed