My Reproduction Final Fantasy VI Naked & Exposed!!!

Joined Feb 2007
2K Posts | 0+
Kentucky, US
This Final Fantasy 6, or when it was released in the US it was labeled Final Fantasy 3. I am on my way of having my cake and eating it too. I am going to have those expensive RPGs that I never had until now. And I am playing them on my Super Famicom by way of inexpensive reproductions.

FF1.gif

The two carts of the same game. Top is the reproduction for the SNES and the bottom one is the real thing for the Super Famicom. Boards are interchangeable and fit perfect.

FF2.gif

The Nintendo board which looks impressive next to the reproduction. The battery was dead in this one. The game would boot up, but it would not let you play the game. A message would come up in Japanese. I can only guess what it actually said, "battery dead."

FF3.gif

You can always find Nintendo on the real McCory. That seems to be the only way of identifying the real thing anymore.

FF4.gif

The small PC board with a minimum showing of chips.

FF5.gif

I sort of wonder if it is the advancement in technology? Or should I question the durability of such a board. 10 to 1 it will not last 23 years like the original hardware.

FF6.gif

And the icing on the cake, that battery can be easily changed out. That is one thing that I like about these things. Again the reproduction shell was a high quality plastic with the metal screws, just exactly like the real Nintendo carts. They look authentic but open it up and the truth hits you. If anyone has a notion that they want to go on eBay and spend high dollars for what they think is the real game cart, I would ask the seller to open it up and show photos. I don't care if they have a perfect rating. They might not know what they have because they didn't know to look. Too many of these China reproductions are showing up on eBay. I spent only $18 for this repo, free shipping.

On the real SNES / FAMICON carts, does the battery come off the Nintendo board easily?

The NES carts always required the battery holder to be desoldered and replaced to change a battery, I just wondered if that was something they changed in the 16 bit flavors.

I must say, I really like this idea of yours, I may start doing something similar.

No, the battery does not come off without a good solder. But it can come off with a sharp knife used to break the spot welds. :lol Then you can take black gorilla tape, wrap it around that corner, and it will hold and work, surprisingly. I was just experimenting with the Japanese FF 6 until the repo arrived. It wouldn't let me play with the dead battery anyway. The tape holds the two contacts to the battery. I wouldn't guarantee someone not throwing the controller through the TV screen if they got two thirds in completing the game and one of the contacts came loose. ;) I need to get me a soldering iron. I don't have one right now. Right now I am waiting on Tales of Phantasia. One thing that I have learned about the pricing on Aliexpress, the $15 games cart are the fake looking carts. The $18 carts are the ones that look authentic Nintendo carts with the screws.

FFVI.gif

Just a Note: In searching the Aliexpress site, use "snes games," "Super Nintendo games," and "super nes games." For some reason you will not get everything with just one of those searches. ::)

When I first starting losing saves to dead nes batteries I just used what I had. Pre-google days were rough! I'd take my sister's old stuffed animals that talked or purred or had a heart beat and cut the battery holders out of them. I'd desolder the battery holder on the pcb and solder in the one I pulled out of her toys. two aa batteries really adds the weight to a Nintendo cart!