Happy Birthday Nintendo 64, September 29th, 1996

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
10 years ago, Nintendo's first venture into the 3D world, had to be the most interesting 5 years I've ever seen Nintendo at. They managed to piss off alot of companies by sticking with just carts only instead of going CD based. Yet regardless, this is one of my favorite systems to play, because of how much fun it was and really revolutionized FPS (i.e. Goldeneye). It perfected Adventure 3D games after countless mess up with bad camera angles in games before Mario 64 came out. Sadly, some still can't learn this in today's modern gaming.

It revolutionized multiplayer gaming to go into 4 player (Mario Kart, GoldenEye, Mario Party series, Pokemon Stadium), and gave birth to the first true 3D Zelda that became so legendary, that it made sure the N64 could get into the history books by far.

N64.gif

So here's to you, cheers N64. 10 years old and still being resurrected thanks to your new brother, the Wii.

One honorable mention, is what got me to get an N64 was the announcement of DOOM 64. Since I was already crazy about DOOM on PC and PSX at the time, I knew I had to get one.

Let's also not to forget the mad respect for the import N64 game, "Sin and Punishment" which really pushed the N64.

Star Fox 64 still stands up surprisly well even after so many sequels now honestly. I also felt that Miyamoto finally achieved what he wanted to do with Star Fox when it finally arrived on N64

Sin and Punishment was and AWESOME game.  Doom 64... I was VERY interested in getting this and I did.  It was a little lack luster though.  REGARDLESS it is still a great game, and the graphics on it were pretty darn good as well.

What got my interest early on for the N64 was... ULTRA DESCENT!  I am very ticked off it never came out.  I could not wait on that game.  IN FACT, I believe there was a commercial for it with Jenny Mccarthy?  or am I mistaken?

Regardless... the N64 was HONESTLY some of the best years in gaming.  People won't admit it... but there is a lot to thank Nintendo for in that system. 

This is probably one of those systems that will go down with a ton of superb games unrealized by many.  I can tell you.. my friends owned othre PC games, PLaystations... and some had 64s.  The only system that EVER got a ton of play was the Nintendo 64.  we played the playstatoin a bit... but you couldn't deny Bomberman, GOldeneye, Waverace, F-zero, Battletanx, and many more games on the N64 that we would play for 4-6 hours straight.

I agree on Starfox... that game is still awesome to play.  Heck... I still love the Snes Starfox :)

Bv :hat

I was just playing the SNES starfox recently. I like it much better than the new Starfox Command.