Ocinara or Majora's Mask

Asii said:
I have the Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. I was excited to play Majora's Mask, because I had never played it before. It's very fun and intuitive, but I'm stuck at the Ice Dungeon (or whatever it's called). I believe I've got everything I need, but I just can't make it to the Boss Door. I'm assuming the trick is connected to that giant pillar you're supposed to punch. I've played around with it a little (punching one, two, and going up, etc.), but I just can't seem to get to the Boss Door. I'm not asking for help here or anything. One of my favorite parts about gaming is figuring things out by myself. I think the reason I stopped trying was because of the 3-day time limit. Sure, it was original, but it really makes it annoying to beat a dungeon when you're still trying to figure things out.

use the song to slow down time and that way you will have a very long time limit, i never had a problem during dungeons

Asii said:
I have the Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. I was excited to play Majora's Mask, because I had never played it before. It's very fun and intuitive, but I'm stuck at the Ice Dungeon (or whatever it's called). I believe I've got everything I need, but I just can't make it to the Boss Door. I'm assuming the trick is connected to that giant pillar you're supposed to punch. I've played around with it a little (punching one, two, and going up, etc.), but I just can't seem to get to the Boss Door. I'm not asking for help here or anything. One of my favorite parts about gaming is figuring things out by myself. I think the reason I stopped trying was because of the 3-day time limit. Sure, it was original, but it really makes it annoying to beat a dungeon when you're still trying to figure things out.

Let's just say you need to perform an almost impossible leap of faith! And yeah, make sure to slow down time during dungeons.

A leap of faith, huh? I probably fell to the bottom every time I attempted it.

Asii said:
A leap of faith, huh? I probably fell to the bottom every time I attempted it.

Yeah, probably, I know I did a few times and got frustrated. You'll get it, just be patient :)

Well, to be honest, I haven't played it in a really long time, and probably won't play it soon, because my Gamecube rarely works.

I would say that MM is one of the most original games of all time and it is amazing, but I think OoT is slightly better because it is a little longer. It is a tough decision to make honestly.

Kokiri 10587 said:
I would say that MM is one of the most original games of all time and it is amazing, but I think OoT is slightly better because it is a little longer. It is a tough decision to make honestly.
Who cares how long a game is? Mass Effect is 15 hours and bad, and God of War is 8 and good.

I actually spent a lot more time on MM then with OOT. But, yeah, if you don't do all the side stuff it is definitely shorter.

fhqwhgads said:
Oh yes, doing all of MM's sidequests without a guide would take forever.

That is why I love MM. I spent so much time on that game and I still ended up beating it with only 17 out of 20 heart containers full. It actually boggles my mind how I missed so many heart pieces.

x2 said:
That is why I love MM. I spent so much time on that game and I still ended up beating it with only 17 out of 20 heart containers full. It actually boggles my mind how I missed so many heart pieces.
I like how you can have roughly 7 by the second dungeon.

Or 4, if you're like that.

Also, who wants to fix the title?

Observations of a rookie in playing Zelda on the N64, be nice to me it is my first time. :)
I've had my N64 since the day it hit the store shelves. I was never able to get a copy of OOT back then. Being that I never got a copy of it, it never occurred to me to want the second Zelda Majora's Mask. I got caught up in other games (and game systems) and really took no thought of hunting down a copy. Time sure flies, I have missed so much. Recently I picked up a copy of Ocinara from eBay, tried to get into it and got stuck in the big tree and then put it away for something else. This past weekend I got it out again and really got into it. WOW! It is a great game. I have spent my time playing a lot of RPGs on the PS1 during the N64 days, but this is really a 3D adventure RPG. The RPGs on the PS1 seems to be only 2D in comparison, even FF7. A painted background with collision points in place. What it opened my eyes to is the capabilities of the N64 to be able to do any of the RPGs that were on the PS1 except maybe the music and the FMV sequences. Developers really went for the “more money” in the CD vs cart issue IMO. I'm not trying to start any battle between the two systems in this thread, so don't get me wrong here. This is just the way it hit me this past weekend. And I'd rather be playing from a cart than a CD any day.

I am right now in the town at the bottom of Death Mountain, I think it is called, (I am having a great time catching chickens) and I am now wanting a copy of the Zelda Majora's Mask game. I feel that this is going to be a great gaming experience so maybe I might need to do some hibernation with OOT. :)

retro junkie said:
I've had my N64 since the day it hit the store shelves. I was never able to get a copy of OOT back then.
It didn't for a couple years after launch, that's why.
but this is really a 3D adventure RPG.
*sigh*
Developers really went for the “more money” in the CD vs cart issue IMO.
Actually, they went for the "CDs hold a lot more" part.
I am right now in the town at the bottom of Death Mountain
Kakariko Viilage.
(I am having a great time catching chickens)
Hit 'em.
and I am now wanting a copy of the Zelda Majora's Mask game.
Good, it's better.

fhqwhgads said:
It didn't for a couple years after launch, that's why.
Then let me rephrase that, When it came out two years after launch I was never able to get a copy of OOT back then. In my statement of my original post I was only putting emphasis on the fact that I have had my N64 from the beginning. And in that time period, I had not been motivated to pick up a copy until now.
Actually, they went for the "CDs hold a lot more" part
Sorry but as a gamer I don't buy that. That, I think, was an excuse. There was never a game, that I can think of that needed that extra space for the game itself. The extra space was only used for the music and FMV. And really as a game company if you thought that was an important part that you wanted in your games....... CD was the only way to go. I guess it is debatable from an individuals personal view point wether that is needed or enhanced the gaming experience. But really those games could have been as easily put on a cart. I personally would have rather have had a lot of the RPGs on the PS1 on a cart and would have been willing to sacrifice not having the musical scores and FMV. But that is really my own personal preference. They could have easily had a version for the N64 as well as for the PS1, but the cost of game carts was expensive with little return for the investment compared with the CD.

retro junkie said:
Sorry but as a gamer I don't buy that. That, I think, was an excuse. There was never a game, that I can think of that needed that extra space for the game itself.

*coughMGScough*

Fr0dus Maximus said:
*coughMGScough*

*coughMUSICcough* *coughFMVcough*
You would be very surprised how much the music and FMV eats up that disc space. We are talking about a CD. Take Ridge Racer Type 4 as an example. On one of the disc, the file is over 500 mb. Remove the music and the FMV and the actual whole game is only 12 mb. I have yet to see MGS broken down, but I bet it would be a little shocking to see just how much disc space is actually used for the game.

I was mainly referring to the RPGs.

retro junkie said:
Sorry but as a gamer I don't buy that. That, I think, was an excuse. There was never a game, that I can think of that needed that extra space for the game itself. The extra space was only used for the music and FMV. And really as a game company if you thought that was an important part that you wanted in your games....... CD was the only way to go.
You just said, "I don't believe they went with CDs because they held more." then, "CDs held more and they used the extra space."

fhqwhgads said:
You just said, "I don't believe they went with CDs because they held more." then, "CDs held more and they used the extra space."

Only for music and FMV. The actual game files did not need the whole CD. They could have placed a lot of the same games on the N64 minus the music and FMV. They could have given the N64 more support if it had not been for the expense of the carts. The N64 has very good audio capabilities, good enough that they sold music CD is Japan with the actual music from the games.

I did not mean to get this topic so off by my comments. Sorry. :(

retro junkie said:
They could have placed a lot of the same games on the N64 minus the music and FMV.
Yes, and a lot of the praise came from the beautiful movie style presentation thanks to the music and FMV.

retro junkie said:
*coughMUSICcough* *coughFMVcough*

MGS wasn't cluttered with FMV due to using it's in game engine. And the music was nothing, with only 20 tracks on the first game. Oh there was also the side game of VR. Yea, they used both discs to the full advantage.