Huge UK Arcade Opens

Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts | 0+
UK
Any UK based gamers in here?

Just stumbled across some excellent news (if A little old) about the reopening of Weston Super Mare's pier following the fire two years ago.

Well, the brand new Amusement Arcade reportedly boasts some 500+ machines, inc all the latest SEGA cabs.

Great news for Arcade fans, so thought I'd share the news.

OK, so a friend and I went there to check it out....

IT SUCKS!

Edge Magazine lied thier A**** off about this place, either that or they never actually went there.

There are easily 500+ machines in there, no question, but about 475 of them are fruit machines/slots.

There was one fighting game in the wholes arcade, that's right, ONE - Tekken 5.

Other games they had:

Virtua Tennis 2
House of the Dead
House of the Dead 4
Crazy Taxi
Sega Rally (turned off)
18 Wheeler (turned off)
Outrun 2 (turned off)
Ferrari F355
Primeval Hunt (Calibration waaaaaaaaay off)
Mario Kart Arcade (not accepting ANY coins, so not playable)
Some HUGE F1 Simulator that was acting as more of a spectacle than arcade game, always surrounded by about 30 people.

There were a couple others but nothing great.

As you can see, this is hardly the NEW arcade I was expecting. I played newer games at the service stations on the way there lol

We went to check out the older Arcades in the town and they are all just as bad. A couple of 90's Sega racers (No Scud Racer though) and that's your lot.

I was kind of hoping for a mini arcade revival in this place, but it turned out to be even worse than I thought things were already :mad:

sk3tch said:
There are easily 500+ machines in there, no question, but about 475 of them are fruit machines/slots.

Man that's rough. They newer arcades were probably too expensive for them. I do wish there were at least a few more around but let's be honest, a lot of people would rather play games at home.

sk3tch said:
Any UK based gamers in here?

Just stumbled across some excellent news (if A little old) about the reopening of Weston Super Mare's pier following the fire two years ago.

Well, the brand new Amusement Arcade reportedly boasts some 500+ machines, inc all the latest SEGA cabs.

Great news for Arcade fans, so thought I'd share the news.

are you serious!?!?! 500+ games!!! wow that is freaking epic!!! now i wish i lived in the UK for once :p

You should read the follow up post, then you wouldn't. lol :lol