Why do you use this or any forum?

What do you look for most on a message board?

• News

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Discussion

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Fun and games with others

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in post)

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Joined Jul 2009
2K Posts | 0+
California
Alright so I'm doing an essay, and I decided to do it on Internet Forums. Well I can "interview" people and I thought I'd ask you guys some questions about it so here goes. :3

For everyone:

• What do you look for in a forum?

What do you find forums useful for?

What, if any, things do you dislike about forums?

Do you feel using a forum is the same, if not, better than having a discussion in person?

Why do you like this particular forum? (Feel as though there's a topic for this, just covering all my bases here)

Have you left other forums? If so, why?

What keeps you sticking around forums?

Any traits or habits you don't like about posters? (I mean in general, not like something you don't like about a user on this board, I mean like when they flame bait, ridicule, go off topic, etc.)
For mods (past, present. Of this site or any):
  • What do you feel is your responsible for? (y'know like keeping the peace, starting discussions, being an overseer, etc.)

Do you feel obligated to do certain things because you're a mod? (Sort of like how Mega posts articles :) )

Did you hope to become one? Do you see it as power or authority like you're a ruler and what you say goes? or kind of like being a teacher, someone with experience the others can turn to with their questions and problem.

You see yourself leaving this forum eventually?

Don't worry about answering them all, just whatever you feel like answering :)
If I think of any more I'll ask. Thanks in advance everyone. Now please discuss :D

If anyone can tell me how to post polls that would be cool too xD

P.S.
If for any reason you do not feel like posting some or all your answers in this thread publicly feel free to PM me your answers, I will keep your replies to myself. I have nothing to gain by sharing any info with another use, nor will I directly even hand it over your answers to a teacher. This is more of like just the general consensus of the users. :D

Snatcher_L said:
Alright so I'm doing an essay, and I decided to do it on Internet Forums. Well I can "interview" people and I thought I'd ask you guys some questions about it so here goes. :3

For everyone:
What do you look for in a forum?
Do you feel using a forum is the same, if not, better than having a discussion in person?
Why do you like this particular forum? (Feel as though there's a topic for this, just covering all my bases here)

For mods:
What do you feel is your responsible for? (y'know like keeping the peace, starting discussions, being an overseer, etc.)

What problems do you face being a mod?

Did you hope to become one? Do you see it as power or authority like you're a ruler and what you say goes? or kind of like being a teacher, someone with experience the others can turn to with their questions and problem.

If I think of any more I'll ask. Thanks in advance everyone. Now please discuss :D

to do polls, look at the bottom right hand corner of your above post. There should be an option to add a poll. :)

I'll answer the other questions later, gotta get some chow in me.

ThravRande said:
to do polls, look at the bottom right hand corner of your above post. There should be an option to add a poll. :)

I'll answer the other questions later, gotta get some chow in me.

I don't see it, maybe I need a certain number of posts to?

Alright, Thanks man. I appreciate it :)

Snatcher_L said:
I don't see it, maybe I need a certain number of posts to?

Alright, Thanks man. I appreciate it :)

If you are using the default layout, it looks like this.

jc2dega.png

Because PS3 has no games.

But to be serious i use forums because i get to interact with people with the same interest as me Games :D.

What do you look for in a forum?

Friendly people, decent activity

Discussion about hobbies or certain topics.

The unanimousness (is that a word? :lol) of people.

I personally am shy so it is much better than talking in person.

The amount of members here, I don't care much for insanely large ones.

Yes many, including my own. Lack of activity is the biggest culprit.

Activity.

Any traits or habits you don't like about posters? (I mean in general, not like something you don't like about a user on this board, I mean like when they flame bait, ridicule, go off topic, etc.)

Baiting and going off topic is my biggest peeves.

For mods: (I'll answer these because I was a mod here, you don't have to take them if you don't want to though.)
What do you feel is your responsible for? (y'know like keeping the peace, starting discussions, being an overseer, etc.)

Organization and cleanliness.

What problems do you face being a mod?

Not really sure what you mean by the question, or maybe I just don't have much problems.

Meh, feels just the same as a member, just with special clicky powers. I guess the later, if you want me to choose between those two.

I have. A few times. For some reason I come back eventually though.

Thanks for the contributions you two :)

aleeock157 said:
Not really sure what you mean by the question, or maybe I just don't have much problems.

Yeah I could have phrased it better, like do you feel like you're obligated or that you must do certain things (like set an example, start discussions, y'know like "With great power, comes great responsibility") :lol

Sounds like a totally different question now xD

I like the comfort this forum brings.There is something to be said for that.Why join a forum with 3 million members?If someone in this forum is hurting or needs to talk about something,there is usually a clue hidden in their post.Because this forum is smaller than some others doesn't mean there is any lack of help that you can receive and benefit from.Some members here know each other offline which helps.When x2's cat died not long ago,the forum members swept in to help comfort him through the pain of his loss.Like I've said before:True loss only occurs when you lose something that you love more than yourself.The members were really compassionate in their efforts to help x2 get through this painful time.There is no painkiller on Earth that can alleviate that kind of pain.But the forum members helped him a lot through their swift response to quite possibly,the hardest post he ever had to make.Try getting that support from Neoseeker Forums which has a population of 364,664.

Snatcher_L said:

For everyone:

• What do you look for in a forum?

• A friendly community to talk to

Snatcher_L said:
    getting game news fast, as well as receiving help that I wouldn't be able to find elsewhere as fast.

Snatcher_L said:
    Nothing on this one, but flamers and spammers at other places. It's pretty well contained here, though.

Snatcher_L said:
    Better. It's hard for me to find many gamers irl to talk to about our similar interests

Snatcher_L said:
    Friendly community, most people are willing to help me with my gaming problems, as well as an small group of active members. It's easier to develop relationships in smaller groups.

Snatcher_L said:
    Flamers, spammers, (If those things arent taken care of) and inactivity.

Snatcher_L said:
    Friendly people and I need to know my gaming news. Since EGA uses all different kinds of sources, I feels it's better than just using Kotaku, or just using 1UP, etc.

Snatcher_L said:
I think if a forum is going to survive, it's gotta have a hand on what goes on in it's boards, so if you got a good forum, you shouldn't have any bad posters.

Snatcher_L said:
For mods (past, present. Of this site or any):
I've been a mod elsewhere, so I'll answer.

Snatcher_L said:
  • What do you feel is your responsible for? (y'know like keeping the peace, starting discussions, being an overseer, etc.)

• Keeping the boards active, whether it be by news or random discussions or whatnot, especially in a new forum, you gotta keep people talking until it really picks up and the members start doing it on their on.

Snatcher_L said:
    Do you feel obligated to do certain things because you're a mod? (Sort of like how Mega posts articles :) )
    Keep the spammers out, and keep posts regarding the rules.

Snatcher_L said:
    Did I hope to become one? Yeah, but I never voiced it. And it's kinda like being a cop. :mp A nice cop, mind you.
    Snatcher_L said:
    The forum I mod at or EGA? I already left the forum I mod at. I might leave EGA someday, if it gets overrun with spammers flamers or becomes inactive.
    Snatcher_L said:
    Don't worry about answering them all, just whatever you feel like answering :)

P.S.
    If for any reason you do not feel like posting some or all your answers in this thread publicly feel free to PM me your answers, I will keep your replies to myself. I have nothing to gain by sharing any info with another use, nor will I directly even hand it over your answers to a teacher. This is more of like just the general consensus of the users. :D

My quoting got messed up, but you should be able to get all my answers out of that. :)

Snatcher_L said:
1. What do you look for in a forum?

2. What do you find forums useful for?

3. What, if any, things do you dislike about forums?

4. Do you feel using a forum is the same, if not, better than having a discussion in person?

5. Why do you like this particular forum? (Feel as though there's a topic for this, just covering all my bases here)

6. Have you left other forums? If so, why?

7. What keeps you sticking around forums?

8. Any traits or habits you don't like about posters? (I mean in general, not like something you don't like about a user on this board, I mean like when they flame bait, ridicule, go off topic, etc.)

9. You see yourself leaving this forum eventually?

1. Good Community

2. Awesome people, news, and fun times

3. All depends on the forum but, closed minded individuals are a big dislike about forums and people in general.

4. It all depends who I am talking to. If it's a friend that I already know then it's about the same as if I was talkin to them via forum. Strangers and people I hardly know is a little bit harder to talk to.

5. The people. Everyone is friendly and easy going. Sure there have been times when I and others have been out of hand but, a lot of the times it's fun. Whether it be via posts or using the chat client there are a lot of fun memories. And every now and then we get someone like Maverick (pretty sure how that's spelled), some people will remember that one for a long time. Also doing the podcasts are a lot of fun and some of the behind the scenes stuff make it that much more fun.

6. I've left other forums due to the size. Too many people. And others due to inactivity.

7. See 1.

8. I really don't. At one time or another I was that person so it doesn't seem right that I pass my judgement on them. Except if they really deserve it, Maverick.

9. I don't think so. The only way would be if the whole forum goes inactive or it doesn't exist anymore, which I don't see happening.

Thanks everyone for your time. My professor really liked my essay, especially liked that I asked you guys on your opinions. :D

Snatcher_L said:
Thanks everyone for your time. My professor really liked my essay, especially liked that I asked you guys on your opinions. :D
No prob, glad it went well!

ThravRande said:
No prob, glad it went well!
Thanks man, once again I really appreciate that you guys and gal took the time to answer my questions :) You guys are the best :'(