PS2 games a possibility?

Joined Jul 2009
2K Posts | 0+
California
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-14-sony-invents-back-compat-device

Looks like Sony hasn't completely abandoned BC. But then this isn't a guarantee either :p

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/14/sony-patent-for-last-gen-console-adapter-surfaces/

Yup, I just caught that.

Auron234 said:
how come sony doesn't off ps2 games for download when they offer ps1 and ps3 games?

Probably because of cost. Due to the original PS2s architecture, it's very difficult to emulate on the PS3. PS1 games are easier to emulate, but even some of them have problems or not ported at all.

cost? ps2 has the best variety of games of any console ever. that's not debable imo. they could make a lot of money

Auron234 said:
cost? ps2 has the best variety of games of any console ever. that's not debable imo. they could make a lot of money

Yeah, but once a new console appears, people want the latest and greatest and older libraries aren't as sought after. People will usually only buy them if they're updated. For example, Ico and SotC.

idk, I've been buying PS2 games like crazy recently, since they're dropping prices on them. Some PS2 games are cheaper to get from wal Mart now than to have them shipped from Amazon.

I think the reasoning of removing PS3 BC was that the mast majority of people werent really using it or had already had PS2's.

I would prefer more HD collections than straight up BC.

Auron234 said:
how come sony doesn't off ps2 games for download when they offer ps1 and ps3 games?

Some interesting information I found while reading the differences between the 360 and PS3 versions of Resident Evil 5 on Eurogamer.

In terms of just why Xbox 360 has the edge technically, it seems to be all come down to the set-up of the graphics hardware. Capcom itself rates the triple-core Xenon CPU as being about equal to a dual-core 3.2GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition CPU. Not a bad processor as such, but no match for the raw computational power of Cell. However, Capcom has made extensive use of the 10MB of 'EDRAM' that is directly attached to the Xenos GPU in order to maximise its visual effects. With virtually unlimited bandwidth, effects can be processed enormously quickly. The Cell/RSX combo doesn't this advantage, although ironically, the PS2's graphics synthesiser does - one of the reasons why full software emulation of the older console is difficult on the PlayStation 3.

[Face-Off: Resident Evil 5]

I literally understood none of that but te last sentence. I guess i'll take their word for it :lol

Auron234 said:
I literally understood none of that but te last sentence. I guess i'll take their word for it :lol

:D
Let me break it down for you. Although the Cell processor is very powerful, the graphic processor that Sony went with isn't all that great. Which is a shame because that almost completely nullifies the Cell processor, especially when developing multi-platform games.

360 games are actually better looking (albeit not by much or if you have a really good eye) than PS3 ports.

CreepinDeth said:
360 games are actually better looking (albeit not by much or if you have a really good eye) than PS3 ports.

Ah, it's pretty even in that respect. It usually depends on what console is the main one for building a game. For some reason graphics are a big deal to people, but there's PS3 multiplatform games that look better than 360 and vice versa. I'll still never understand the big fuss over if a game looks a tiny bit better. It's minuscule if you ask me.

Strubes said:
Ah, it's pretty even in that respect. It usually depends on what console is the main one for building a game. For some reason graphics are a big deal to people, but there's PS3 multiplatform games that look better than 360 and vice versa. I'll still never understand the big fuss over if a game looks a tiny bit better. It's minuscule if you ask me.

It is minuscule, which is why I mentioned that it's not by much. But I recommend you read Eurogamers Face-offs. Nearly every single game, with the exception of maybe 3, the 360 game looked better. They even have side-by-side videos to prove it.

Now I'm not saying that the differences are enough to say that the 360 is superior and you shouldn't buy a PS3 copy. But technically, the 360 port is the better looking game because of the graphics processor. PS3 anti-aliasing actually blurs out a lot of the textures. Not to mention that most PS3 ports don't even get true 720p resolutions. They also have to take out some effects usually due to the PS3s video processor unable to handle them.

With all that said, you would have to be looking for it and/or just have a good eye. When I went to school I learned a lot about video and these issues do stick out to me unfortunately. At the moment though, it seems the only PS3 games that look better are the ones that are exclusive to the PS3.

CreepinDeth said:
It is minuscule, which is why I mentioned that it's not by much. But I recommend you read Eurogamers Face-offs. Nearly every single game, with the exception of maybe 3, the 360 game looked better. They even have side-by-side videos to prove it.

Now I'm not saying that the differences are enough to say that the 360 is superior and you shouldn't buy a PS3 copy. But technically, the 360 port is the better looking game because of the graphics processor. PS3 anti-aliasing actually blurs out a lot of the textures. Not to mention that most PS3 ports don't even get true 720p resolutions. They also have to take out some effects usually due to the PS3s video processor unable to handle them.

With all that said, you would have to be looking for it and/or just have a good eye. When I went to school I learned a lot about video and these issues do stick out to me unfortunately. At the moment though, it seems the only PS3 games that look better are the ones that are exclusive to the PS3.

would that depend on which console the game was developed on first? like Final Fantasy XIII looks better on the ps3 because it was made primarily on that console and then ported to the 360.

Zidart said:
would that depend on which console the game was developed on first? like Final Fantasy XIII looks better on the ps3 because it was made primarily on that console and then ported to the 360.

If I remember correctly the 360 version looks better, Eurogamer did a comparison for this game too. The only thing that looks better in that game is the FMVs since Blu-ray allows them to be less compressed due to the space availability. I'll try to find the article.

UPDATE: Scratch that. FF XIII is one of the very few that looks better on PS3.