Neo Geo CD Dunk Dream, Viewpoint, Joy Joy Kid, and Last Resort

Joined Jul 2005
90 Posts | 0+
Green Bay, WI
Got some new games for the NGCD today! Gave them all a test run and here are my thoughts:

Dunk Dream: I played through a game on the easy level and this is actually pretty good. It's most similar to NBA Jam, though its 3 on 3 instead of 2 on 2. While it doesn't have the charm of NBA Jam, there is definitely a lot to like here. I am looking forward to giving it some more time.

Joy Joy Kid: This is a bizarre Tetris style puzzle game. Each round starts with tetris blocks already on the map, and a little dude in a hot air ballon trapped inside. You need to clear the lines to free the balloon. Sadly, the speed ramps up too quickly and the controls don't seem as smooth as tetris.

Viewpoint: I really liked Motherbase on the 32x, and it was neat to see the game that inspired it. The isometric style shooter looks and sound terrific! Like Motherbase, it's insanely hard, requiring you to memorize the levels and die a lot. We'll see though.

Last Resort: Horizontal shooters are my favorite kind of shmup, and this R-Type inspired game seems pretty cool. The "orb" physics are weird though. Your little orb shoots in the opposite direction of where you are flying. I can see spending some serious time with this game, but I think R-Type will remain my favorite game of this type.

That's all for now.

Viewpoint is awesome, isn't it? It is, however, WAAYYY too hard. I can't get past the 2nd level. :lol

I agree with you about Joy Joy Kid. Its faults in terms of speed and difficulty are both its greatest asset and liability. It is horribly unforgiving, but it is also a lot of fun. And, being the quickest-loading CD title, it's fun to pop in now and then just to see how quick you can get pwned.

I LOVE Last Resort. I can't encourage you strongly enough to spend some serious time with it. Everything from the Akira-esque cityscapes to the AWESOME soundtrack just make this one hold a place so close to my heart.

So far I am up to level 3 in Last Resort. Thank God there are unlimited continues! It's pretty challenging. I agree, the music and atmosphere are excellent. The game play is great as well, and I'm starting to get used to how to best utilize the Orb.

For me, Last Resort is like an insane addiction. Whenever I sit down to play it, I can't stop.

Well, I got up to the boss in level 4 and finally gave (for now). Tough stuff. How many levels are there in total?

There are five in all. You may already know this, but in case you don't. . .
Protip: Get a second player to join in. When you die, you don't start back at a previous point. :)

Last Hope is actually pretty easy game but Viewpoint is a hell when you get to the 4 stage!

CutChemist said:
There are five in all. You may already know this, but in case you don't. . .
Protip: Get a second player to join in. When you die, you don't start back at a previous point. :)
And that tip works great! It keeps you from pulling your hair out. There is nothing more frustrating than working your way through an area, ending up with your last life, only to get to the same point as before, and get totally blown away by the same pattern of ships. ::) Then you get thrown back to the beginning, repeat.

CutChemist said:
Viewpoint is awesome, isn't it? It is, however, WAAYYY too hard. I can't get past the 2nd level. :lol
It was fun until the second boss. That damn crab thing doesn't die, and eventually some random bubble will find its way towards me and kill me! I really wanted to get a good way through this game to properly review it, just not sure I have the skill.