Dissidia: Duodecim Final Fantasy 012 (March 3rd in Japan. America: unknown)

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
Square Enix had two devastating pieces of news for Japanese gamers today. One, Final Fantasy XIII is coming out on the Xbox 360 in Japan on December 16. (That means nothing to us, of course, since we've had the 360 version since launch day. It's a big deal to console warriors in Japan, though, because Square Enix president Yoichi Wada swore up and down on both Japanese game media and his own Twitter account that the 360 port would never, ever come out in that nation. (Game biz executives breaking promises? Well, I never!)

More interesting to us overseas gamers, though, is this: In this week's spate of Japan game mags, Square Enix announced a sequel to Dissidia: Final Fantasy, the PSP fighter/action game that pits characters from across the FF series against each other. Titled Dissidia: Duodecim Final Fantasy 012, the title is coming exclusively to the PSP, once again, with a 2011 Japan release in the works.

Not much about what's new gameplay-wise has been revealed with Duodecim yet, but Square Enix is promising a raft of new characters to appear in the sequel. Two have been revealed so far: Lightning from FFXIII (expected, of couse), and Kain Highwind, who debuted in Final Fantasy IV and was last seen acting like a nutter in The After Years.

Details beyond that are a mystery still, but the game will be playable at the Tokyo Game Show next week, so stay tuned.

http://www.1up.com/news/dissidia-final-fantasy-sequel

Re: Dissidia 2 announced!

my poor little heart could not take these news.... the excitement might kill me

Re: Dissidia 2 announced!

DISSIDIA 012 [duodecim] FINAL FANTASY may have a bizarre, head-scratching title, but its brand new features make a whole lot of sense. The follow-up to 2008's mash-up fighter offers the most obvious addition for a sequel: an expanded roster, including Final Fantasy XIII's Lightning and Final Fantasy VII's Tifa. However, it also includes a number of other features that make the experience more engaging for fans, and more accessible for newcomers to the franchise.

The original Dissidia met a mixed response from fans due to its rather unique combat system. Instead of copying the model of other fighters -- Nintendo's Smash Bros., or Capcom's Vs. series -- Square Enix crafted a battle system inspired by Advent Children, but still rooted in RPG mechanics. If that doesn't make much sense to you, you are not alone.

Arguably the biggest new feature for Duodecim is the addition of an "RPG Mode" that strips down the combat experience into something that might be a bit more familiar to traditional Final Fantasy players. Unlike the traditional "Action Mode," you lose direct control over your character in this mode, relegated to selecting commands. You'll be able to switch between attacking Bravery and HP, or choosing a more defensive role. It may seem like the game is simply controlling itself, and to a certain degree, it is. However, this mode lets you understand the various mechanics that are at play in Dissidia without being overwhelmed.

Tifa from FF7 confirmed.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/18/dissidia-012-duodecim-final-fantasy-preview-a-sensible-sequel/

Re: Dissidia: Duodecim Final Fantasy 012 (Coming to North America, name intact)

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/21/dissidia-012-duodecim-final-fantasy-coming-to-north-america-na/

BAM!

Please have Vaan and Tidus!!!!!

Starrynite said:
Please have Vaan and Tidus!!!!!

i think Tidus will still be in there XD why would they take him out? but yeah i do want Vaan in this game

Fr0dus Maximus said:
Tidus? Sure. Vaan? NO.

sorry but your hatred of XII and XIII won't stop developers from adding characters from those games into Dissidia (lightning was already added anyway xD) not to mention just because you hate their games doesn't mean they are bad characters, i mean i hate FFII with extreme passion but my main character in dissidia is Firion. (you would think it is zidane but he is too predictable...and lacks unblockable moves)

Zidart said:
sorry but your hatred of XII and XIII won't stop developers from adding characters from those games into Dissidia (lightning was already added anyway xD) not to mention just because you hate their games doesn't mean they are bad characters, i mean i hate FFII with extreme passion but my main character in dissidia is Firion. (you would think it is zidane but he is too predictable...and lacks unblockable moves)

Vaan or any character from FFXII would just be a copy of the onion knight.

Fr0dus Maximus said:
Vaan or any character from FFXII would just be a copy of the onion knight.

not necessarily. I mean look at gabranth, he was a rather unique character, and besides the onion knight is unique because most of his bravery moves link to other bravery moves or HP attacks, and his fighting style is more DPS than any other character. and besides there are only 2 characters in the entire game that lack the ability to use magic those being Tidus and Jecht, so by that logic everyone would be a clone of everyone and that is not the case. I do believe every character regardless of the series can bring a completely new style to the picture.

Again you just gotta let the dislike from other games aside and just wait and see.... the best character for you might be one that you never expected you could like... i know this because i've seen it happen with a lot of people (SPECIALLY those who want to play with squall/sephiroth who lacks any bravery to HP moves and don't know how to properly link into HP attacks with him...yeah it takes skill to use him)

http://kotaku.com/5709306/final-fantasy-viiis-other-main-character-joins-dissidia-duodecim

FF8's other main character joins the roster. Mr. Laguna Loire.

MegaDrive20XX said:
http://kotaku.com/5709306/final-fantasy-viiis-other-main-character-joins-dissidia-duodecim

FF8's other main character joins the roster. Mr. Laguna Loire.

my mind has been blown... but for those who do not know Vaan from final fantasy XII was also announced

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-laguna-dissidia-012/708557

gameplay video for laguna

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-tifa-dissidia-012/708556

gameplay video for Vaan and Tifa

I gotta say that Vaan and Lightning seem to fit my play style and they seem to be pretty good characters so i'll try them out first.

also gotta love how they remixed my favorite battle theme in the series (the FFVIII one)

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/jump-festa-dissidia-012/708917

the new trailer will show off some of the new moves the game has for each character as well as giving a hint that Yuna has been confirmed. In addition a new mechanic to the assist system has been explained, you can use your assist attacks to outright cancel an opponent's EX mode which in my opinion is a welcome addition to the battle system since it allows for one to fight back even when the tides are against you.

Also for those who can spot it Ultimecia gets an Edea costume and Golbez gets an "out of armor" costume which look fantastic.

Fr0dus Maximus said:
Yuna will be confirmed in the latest issue of Jump Magazine.

I can't wait to see her mechanics, Hopefully they exploit the Dresspheres much like Lightning has paradigm shift or like Cecil has dark knight and paladin