Author Topic: Got my hands on a PC Engine!!!  (Read 1580 times)

Offline retro junkie

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
    • Pieces of Me
Got my hands on a PC Engine!!!
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
I have been wanting the Japan counterpart to the Turbo Grafx 16 for years. I finally got my hands on one a couple of weeks ago. I am one happy gamer.  :)

It is a great addition to my HuCard gaming addiction.

The one thing that throws a monkey wrench into the whole retro gaming aspect of the older systems is the RF connection that you have to deal with. I am going to need to do some mods to my older systems. As we more and more become more entrenched into the HD tech, the older rf connection looks ugly on the HD sets.
I am glad I still have a tube to play my retro gaming sets on. I have a twenty something 19" Sanyo color set beside my desktop computer. I always have my Turbo Grafx 16 hooked and ready for a quicky.  ::D
There is no spoon.

Offline Grindspine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Got my hands on a PC Engine!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »
You must find a copy of Castlevania (Dracula X) Rondo of Blood to play on that!

I am really glad that I bought a Sony Trinitron WEGA right at the end of the TV tube era.  It really captures the best of standard definition display quality, but still is capable of looking great for modern streaming.  Granted, it is full screen instead of wide screen, but SNES, PS2, and DVDs still look awesome on it!

Offline retro junkie

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
    • Pieces of Me
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »
Dracula X is on CD. I have a Turbo Duo that it would run on. But the game is a bit pricey and can run over $100. I keep a watch on eBay for a lot of my HuCards and such. If I do find a good catch on the Dracula X game, I will grab it up.
There is no spoon.

Offline targetrasp

• Marco
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
Is that what the call a turbo booster on the back of your tg 16 in that picture? I remember having one a long time ago and it seems like you purchased something separately to give s-video or rca video out? My memory is hazy, turbo wasn't my most favorite at the time (but oh how I do miss the shooters).

and as far as the pc engine Ive always thought that'd be cool except not knowing Japanese would drive me crazy.
?

Offline retro junkie

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
    • Pieces of Me
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 06:29:44 PM »
No, that is just the plastic cover that sits where the booster would install. It just makes it look good instead of seeing that ugly protrusion out the back. Wished they'd of kept the sleek look of the PC Engine when they released it here in the US. I tried to purchase the CD Rom attachment at the time, It has the same features as the Turbo Booster, early nineties. They were sold out so as a supplement they gave me a Turbo Duo instead.  ::D It was a mail order place. At the time I don't think they knew exactly what it was.  :D

I really stick to shooters and action platform stuff, so not knowing Japanese doesn’t bother me. I might pick up a racer or two. The PC Engine had three times as many games released for it in Japan in comparison to the Turbo here in the US. For example W-Wing and Rabio Lepus, two excellent shooters which I own.
There is no spoon.

Offline CreepinDeth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
You guys should read this awesome story on the Turbografx/PC Engine from Gamasutra. It reveals why they changed the look and all kinds of reasons why it just didn't take off in the US.

Stalled Engine: The TurboGrafx-16 turns 25
®

Offline retro junkie

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
    • Pieces of Me
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:21:21 PM »
Good read, but sad. I was aware of some of the history but that was more detailed. I have worked for a Japanese company for the last 14 years. I believe that information in that article. It sounds so much like the internal workings of the company that I work for. It seems to be the business mindset.

My main desire of having the PC Engine is to acquire some of the games that never made it to the US. There are three times as many Hucards games for the PC Engine. There are those that I will never pick-up due to the Japanese dialogue would make it impossible for me to play. But the platform, arcade, puzzle, and shooters games should be not so difficult to figure out. At least that is what I am thinking. There are the CD games too which will play on my Turbo Duo.

For the PC Engine, I found someone on eBay selling a home-made RF converter to composite mod that mounts to the back of the unit in the expansion area. It should be here in a few days as it is in transit now to my address.
There is no spoon.

Offline retro junkie

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
    • Pieces of Me
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
You must find a copy of Castlevania (Dracula X) Rondo of Blood to play on that!

I finally got a copy of Dracula X. It is hard to believe that I am actually playing a game like this on my Turbo Duo.  One awesome game!
There is no spoon.

Offline targetrasp

• Marco
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
what an awesome Castlevania game.
?

Offline Grindspine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 12:14:05 AM »
I finally got a copy of Dracula X. It is hard to believe that I am actually playing a game like this on my Turbo Duo.  One awesome game!

I really need to play the version of it that was released on the PSP a few years back!