Game Addicts' Gaming PC specifications

Status
Closed
Here are pics of my rig. I just added a PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 580 Workstation Graphics card. Only to find out that my Maya serial number no longer works!!! Frustrating and now I have to call Autodesk tomorrow.

Anyways, here is my everyday setup -

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

My ex gaming now turned linux machine:
11v02vd.jpg

Has 320GB of HD space, 2 gigs DDR2 Ram, ATI Radeon X1300Pro 256MB, AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.0.

The linux machine's monitor:
sbr3nt.jpg

A Dell 19" LCD

My new Lappy:
sxivqq.jpg

ipz41j.jpg

I added some PNY XLR8 PC800 DDR2 memory. So, even using WinXP Professional 32 bit, I still am showing 3.2 gb total memory, running in dual channel, with timings of 4-4-4-12. I also threw in some Vantec PCI slot covers just to give it all a slightly more finished look.

I think the last real upgrade I can do to this machine is to swap out the Core 2 Duo 7200 for one of Intel's newer 65 watt Core 2 Quad processors.

I technically could upgrade the graphics card, but at the sacrifice of my X-fi Titanium since any better graphics card is going to cover my PCIe x1 slot...and really, the 8800GT can handle ANYTHING I've thrown at it on high settings. I think Crysis is the only thing that I'd be shy of high settings while running.

Good stuff.

I installed the full retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate the other night (thanks MSDN), so I'm no longer running on the RC version. Haven't noticed any real differences, though I also haven't had much time on my computer.

Still looking forward to finishing my liquid cooling setup, pictures obviously to follow, so I can cut back on some of this system heat and noise. Found an interesting article about making thermal paste from 60,000 mesh diamond powder and some chemical gels, seems to have dropped about 18C off the load temps of a P4 compared to Arctic Silver 5, so I'm definitely trying that on every component I have in my system. Paired with liquid cooling, I can't imagine how amazingly cool the machine will run.

trkorecky said:
Good stuff.

I installed the full retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate the other night (thanks MSDN), so I'm no longer running on the RC version. Haven't noticed any real differences, though I also haven't had much time on my computer.

Still looking forward to finishing my liquid cooling setup, pictures obviously to follow, so I can cut back on some of this system heat and noise. Found an interesting article about making thermal paste from 60,000 mesh diamond powder and some chemical gels, seems to have dropped about 18C off the load temps of a P4 compared to Arctic Silver 5, so I'm definitely trying that on every component I have in my system. Paired with liquid cooling, I can't imagine how amazingly cool the machine will run.

18* C off a P4 at load? Very nice. I'm just using Arctic Silver 5 and a PWM controlled Zalman 8700NT on my Core 2 Duo. I think the BIOS is pretty much set to just keep it at a stable 46* C.

amd athlon 64 x2 2.6ghz
ati 3870 512mb
4gb ram
250gb sata hd
Rocketfish case (aka Lian-Li)
zalman v1 black widow gaming cpu cooler
acer 22" lcd 1680x1050
zmerc gaming keyboard
razor deathadder mouse
plantronics gamecom pro1 headphones/mic

the other parts i dont even know, i try to get the cheapest i can for the performance i actually need(need for what i want?). my old cpu cooler was another small heatsink and fan square piece and i got tired of em they all broke or overheat so i switched to this huge thermaltake one which seems to be great. thats actually one of the parts i actually spent money for something really good i guess(took the earphones from my bro). but the only next upgrade i want is a quad core i7

5109desktop.jpg

since i broke my camera thats all i have for now ,-,

why thank you :) btw the top is rocketdock, it works like mac icons. the rest on the sides is rainmeter. took me a stupid long time to configure and get nice lookin themes

Okay, updated images of my gaming computer setup:

summersend09013.jpg

Here you can see my Samsung LCD Syncmaster monitor (1280x960, 75hz refresh, desktop image compliments of www.digitalblasphemy.com), my wireless router, printer, Bose Companion speakers, assorted water dragon statues, a picture of one of my pet ratties, a Pilot G2 pen, CD-ROMs, my alarm clock, Italian language CDs, Kurzweil K2000S synthesizer, Sony MDR headphones, Logitech G-5 version 2 laser mouse, and Logitech wireless keyboard. An extra "yay" is necessary since I finally got the media keys on the keyboard working again!

summersend09011.jpg

Here is a slightly updated picture of the computer's innards. I changed out the 2x 1gb stock memory with heat spreaders to 4x 1gb sticks of PNY XLR8 high performance memory at DDR2 6400 - 800mhz with 4-4-4-12 timings. I then added Vantec PCI slot covers to the open PCI slots below the graphics and sound cards for a more finished look.

summersend09007.jpg

And I had to include a low light ambient blue glow shot too!

I have to say, I am amazed at how quiet this computer is. With the case open, I was trying to listen very carefully for the noise level from the power supply, the CPU cooler, and from the graphics card. The Rosewill PSU runs cool (at over 80% efficiency at 630 watts with active power correction) and very quietly with a 120mm fan. The Zalman CPU cooler was DEAD silent and keeps my Core 2 Duo cool even after the overclock. The XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog has a larger fan intake than most 8800 nVidea cards, and with the Thermalright HR-11 heatsink, I never push it past the minimum fan speed.

The components were so quiet that I didn't even remember to listen to the SilenX exhaust fan. That thing makes almost no audible noise. At this point, I am pretty happy with this PC build.

i thought i had replied here, but i guess not...

my setup (with links to more in-depth specs)

Cooler Master CM690 case w/550w PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

XFX nForce 680i SLI Motherboard

http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=14393.25;num_replies=28

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU (3.0GHZ; 6mb L2 cache)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3574211&sku=CP1-DUO-E8400

Corsair Dominator Dual Channel 4096mb DDR2 Ram (1066mhz clock on 5-5-5-15 latency)
CURRENTLY RUNNING @ 800mhz on 5-5-5-18 for some reason....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3986479&CatId=2531

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB HDD (32mb buffer; SATA)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4426054&CatId=2459

XFX nVidia GeForce 8600GT

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us.html?startgom=1

Nice setups guys! I am in the process of a new build. So far I only have the RAM, HDD, DVD Burner, and Sound Card. Not sure what I am gonna go with as far as motherboard and CPU.

BTW, Phoenix, you can manually change your RAM speed in your BIOS. It's very simple to do. I can't remember ever having a mobo that sets the correct RAM speed, I always have to go in and change it myself. You can also make it faster than its stock speed, but that's a little more complex and involves changing voltages and crap. Feel free to ask if you need help with anything.

x2 said:
Nice setups guys! I am in the process of a new build. So far I only have the RAM, HDD, DVD Burner, and Sound Card. Not sure what I am gonna go with as far as motherboard and CPU.

BTW, Phoenix, you can manually change your RAM speed in your BIOS. It's very simple to do. I can't remember ever having a mobo that sets the correct RAM speed, I always have to go in and change it myself. You can also make it faster than its stock speed, but that's a little more complex and involves changing voltages and crap. Feel free to ask if you need help with anything.

thank m8. right now im running all of that on a 550w PSU so im not sure if ill have the leeway in hard load conditions to run at the full 1066mhz....although, if i did im sure id see NUMEROUS improvement in speed.

Phoenix said:
thank m8. right now im running all of that on a 550w PSU so im not sure if ill have the leeway in hard load conditions to run at the full 1066mhz....although, if i did im sure id see NUMEROUS improvement in speed.

You'd see some, yes. Your power supply is far more than enough to run all of that, and clocking your RAM up will hardly use any more.

With my system (3.6GHz quad, 4870X2, 4GB RAM, 3 hard drives, etc. etc.) I only ever pull a max of 360W or so from the wall (measured it), never once hit near 400.

trkorecky said:
You'd see some, yes. Your power supply is far more than enough to run all of that, and clocking your RAM up will hardly use any more.

With my system (3.6GHz quad, 4870X2, 4GB RAM, 3 hard drives, etc. etc.) I only ever pull a max of 360W or so from the wall (measured it), never once hit near 400.

oh wow!!! thanks!!...i might have to get me another 9600GT then 8)

now that i have a camera phone i decided to show some sexy pics like grindspine :D, lemme know what u guys think
the only thing u see that i didnt post b4 is my speakers i guess lol, its the z-2300 <3 my bass
oh and a drink cooler which is holding the cup
Photo0029.jpg

Photo0026.jpg

Photo0028.jpg

Dav7d24 said:
now that i have a camera phone i decided to show some sexy pics like grindspine :D, lemme know what u guys think
the only thing u see that i didnt post b4 is my speakers i guess lol, its the z-2300 <3 my bass
oh and a drink cooler which is holding the cup

Photo0026.jpg
That's a wicked looking heat sink!

†B†V† :hat

Grindspine said:
I think it's a Thermaltake V1.

yeah it is thermaltake v1 black widow payed like $50, my last heatsink had the fan blades break off and fly around the case.

Just added these two bad boys recently:

Logitech K350 wireless keyboard -

http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/logitech-wireless-keyboard-k350/4505-3134_7-33750076.html

Logitech MX Revolution Mouse -

http://reviews.cnet.com/mice/logitech-mx-revolution/4505-3148_7-32036707.html?tag=mncol;lst

The mouse isn't going to be used for gaming but for overall general PC use, since I don't game as much. The keyboard I did buy because I like the way the keyboard is shaped. It makes it much easier for me to find the ASDF keys without having to look down. Much more intuitive for me when playing games.

Status
Closed