Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
3DS, DS, Game Boy, GB Color, GB Advance, Virtual Boy / Re: The New 2DS xl
« Last post by retro junkie on October 21, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »
Make that a "New" 3DS xl / LL. Or maybe a "Used New 3DS xl" Just trying different combos of that name, LOL. I hope they fix that naming in the next portable.  ::)
« Last post by Grindspine on October 20, 2017, 11:21:55 PM »
Congrats!  Happy new game system day!

I am still eying a 3DS.  I really need to replay my DS Castlevania games too!
« Last post by retro junkie on October 19, 2017, 10:44:04 PM »
I got my eye on the Switch, but right now I want to pick up every 3DS game that I really want. There hasn't, yet, been that game that makes me think, "I got to have a Switch." If you know what I mean. I know there is that Zelda game but I need more than one.
« Last post by CreepinDeth on October 19, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
Congrats!! I still have my original, launch 3DS. Not sure if I want to upgrade but if I do, it will probably be this.

Interestingly a lot of these are showing up on eBay at a discount. That is where I got mine which seems untouched and still in the box.

I'm sure the Switch had a lot to do with that.
3DS, DS, Game Boy, GB Color, GB Advance, Virtual Boy / The New 2DS xl
« Last post by retro junkie on October 19, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
I have found my portable of choice, it is the 2DS xl. I love this little portable. The 2DS xl and my DSi are my go to gaming consoles right now for those warm gaming fuzzies. Even though there are a few quirks with the 2DS xl it has quickly won me over. The outward design, shape and feel, weight, colors, gives it a rich feel. Just so different from the other models. There is no 3D of course, but I never have used it. And that is the point of this system.

I use the camera on these things. Yeah I know they are not the best, but they are handy just to catch those candid shots with the Family. The location of that outward camera on the bottom of this unit makes it so awkward. Speaker location at the bottom edges and the short stylus might just be its achilles heel. I have difficulty with the power button. No little feet on that bottom, so that means it will scratch more easily. What really surprises me is the ability to surf the net. That really shows me the power of that "New" in the hardware.
As always with Nintendo, this is a solid, well built, quality piece of hardware. I wanted this console mainly for the "New" tech to be able to play games like Xenoblade Chronicles. And I can see the power of the system in that game. I am hopeful that they will put out more titles that take advantage of the processing power of this hardware.

Interestingly a lot of these are showing up on eBay at a discount. That is where I got mine which seems untouched and still in the box.
Just by looking at Nintendo's history of portables you come to the conclusion that it is time for a change. I remember when the GBA SP Bright hit the shelves. I considered it Nintendo's crowning achievement in a portable. And it took my breath away at how fast it was snatched from the store shelves to make room for the DS as it gained momentum. At the time I was glad I at least got one.

Gameboy 1989
Play it Loud 1995
Gameboy Pocket 1996
Gameboy light 1998
Gameboy Color 1998
Gameboy Advance 2001
Gameboy Advance SP 2003
Nintendo DS 2004
GB Micro 2005
GBA SP bright 2006
Nintendo DS lite 2006
Nintendo Dsi 2008
Nintendo 3DS 2011
Nintendo 3DS 2012
Nintendo 2DS 2013
New Nintendo 3DS & 3DS xl 2015
Nintendo New 2DS xl 2017
3DS, DS, Game Boy, GB Color, GB Advance, Virtual Boy / Re: New 2DS xl: The End? Or?
« Last post by Grindspine on October 12, 2017, 09:30:08 PM »
So if that is at all Walmarts, I need to snag a 3DSXL now.

It has been my tendency to not buy systems lately until they are on their last breath.
And so it begins..................

3DS, DS, Game Boy, GB Color, GB Advance, Virtual Boy / Re: New 2DS xl: The End? Or?
« Last post by targetrasp on October 08, 2017, 11:55:49 PM »
they'd have to start making some games for it.
3DS, DS, Game Boy, GB Color, GB Advance, Virtual Boy / New 2DS xl: The End? Or?
« Last post by retro junkie on October 08, 2017, 06:58:40 AM »
Having followed Nintendo's line of handhelds since the Original GAMEBOY, I honestly believe that the 3DS, or DS, line is coming to an end. I feel it is at an odd crossroad. I think that Nintendo will keep some form of entry level of gaming, just not sure what that would be. It has always been their business model to have a console and a portable. But the 3DS never sold as well as its predecessor, the DS. Was it the 3D or the popularity of Smart-phone and Tablet gaming? Is the currant newest 2DS xl the route they will return to or will we see something totally different?
Just speculating. It would be nice if they had a smaller Switch mini where the controls were not removable for entry level gaming. Using the same game cards, smaller price tag, for the younger gamer. The screen could be the size of the top screen of the 2DS xl model. It would not hook up to the TV like the Switch console. You would need the Switch console to do that just to keep the two lines. I would be interested in that, who wouldn't?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10