Final Fantasy series general discussion

Joined Aug 2007
7K Posts | 0+
Palm Harbor Florida
Since this forum seems to have a reasonable amount of Final Fantasy fans I thought the best course of action would be to create a general discussion dedicated specifically to the final fantasy series. I would suggest that all your questions or comments related to the final fantasy series are to be posted here to avoid confusion.

I'll start by asking a question i think has not been asked before.

what do you think makes a Final Fantasy game.... a Final Fantasy game XD?

Zidart said:
Since this forum seems to have a reasonable amount of Final Fantasy fans I thought the best course of action would be to create a general discussion dedicated specifically to the final fantasy series. I would suggest that all your questions or comments related to the final fantasy series are to be posted here to avoid confusion.

Hi Zidart! What the hell does XD stand for?

Hey great idea Zidart... I wonder what prompted you to make this thread :D Anyhow. For me what makes a Final Fantasy, or rather a GOOD Final Fantasy game is a combination of a great battle system, likable characters, challenging boss fights, fun side games like cards or treasure hunting, and a good story, all in that order. My favorites are FFX and FF9.

P.S. Kaz, I've already told you what XD stands for.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention that a great soundtrack is very important! That is a big part of why I love FF9 so much.

x2 said:
Hey great idea Zidart... I wonder what prompted you to make this thread :D Anyhow. For me what makes a Final Fantasy, or rather a GOOD Final Fantasy game is a combination of a great battle system, likable characters, challenging boss fights, fun side games like cards or treasure hunting, and a good story, all in that order. My favorites are FFX and FF9.

P.S. Kaz, I've already told you what XD stands for.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention that a great soundtrack is very important! That is a big part of why I love FF9 so much.
Would I be asking this question if I remembered the answer?

Zidart said:

The summon creatures and the soundtrack.

x2 said:
Google maybe?

But Zidart, what is your favorite FF?

well my nickname is a clue to that answer.... xD my favorite is final fantasy IX

Zidart said:
well my nickname is a clue to that answer.... xD my favorite is final fantasy IX

Speaking of "FF IX",what happens when you get Morid all 3 of his coffee types? I never did get the 3rd one. :)

Oh ha I never even noticed that! You took Zidane and Dart and made one name :) And KAZ I think he just gives you some dumb model or something.

x2 said:
Oh ha I never even noticed that! You took Zidane and Dart and made one name :) And KAZ I think he just gives you some dumb model or something.

Figures.

My favorite FF of all time is FFX.

But I also enjoy FFVII and Crisis Core. And of course FF Tactics Advance and FFTA2.

bump for one of the greatest rpg series of all times...

I've finally managed to collect the first ten final fantasy games in some form or another thanks to amazon, ebay, steam, and gamestop selling retro games. There's been some duplication, anthology and chronicle disks, steam sales, and I think II and IV are the same game in the US (don't quote me I've just been buying anything that says final fantasy, I've not started the series yet). I know a year or two ago I said that'd my new years resolution was to play through the entire series but its taken me this long to even collect them all. Up until a year ago I would only primarily only pick up games I found out in the wild. Yard sales, flea markets,thrift stores, etc. were where I'd typically get my games. I've had such terrible luck finding anything that I've started paying some of the higher prices online and at speciality dealers. It'll probably take me another two years to get around to playing these things but at least now they're on my shelf.

You are semi-correct about II and IV. Final Fantasy IV in Japan for the SNES was originally released in the US as Final Fantasy II. For some reason, they thought this would be less confusing to the American audience. So, if you have the SNES US cart, then you have Final Fantasy IV labeled as Final Fantasy II. If you have a re-release from a later platform, then Final Fantasy II is actually II and Final Fantasy IV is actually IV.

Final Fantasy VI in Japan for the SNES was released as Final Fantasy III for the US market.

The original Japanese Final Fantasy III was not released in the US until the DS was out. It was released on that.

ok so check my math...

If I'm intending on playing in the actual order of release this should work...

Final Fantasy (NES, PSP) or Final Fantasy from the final fantasy origins PlayStation disc
Final Fantasy 2 from FF Origins PS disk
Final Fantasy 3 from Nintendo DS
Final Fantasy 4 from Final Fantasy Chronicles PlayStation disc
Final Fantasy 5 and 6 from Final Fantasy Anthology PlayStation disc.

after that it seems more straight forward.

Those are definitely the legit versions of those games. But if possible, I would opt for the cart/digital versions (GBA, DS, virtual console) since they won't be plagued with the horrible load times that a lot of the disc versions have.

Otherwise, those are proper.

I bought a network adapter and surely have a pata harddrive laying around somewhere.... I'm sure there's something that can be done to speed the playstation up a bit...