Building a gaming computer.

Status
Closed
Joined Jan 2010
4K Posts | 0+
Northern AL
How hard and expensive would it be to build a simple gaming PC? I think I've got myself a summer job and I was thinking about building one, but I don't know all that much about computer parts, and I wonder if this is even something I should be considering?

Not sure on costs since I don't know how high end you want it to be, but as far as actually building it, it's actually quite simple and you could build the whole thing in less than 2 hours easily. And with all the resources on the net to help you, there's virtually no way you could get stuck at any point. I warn you, though, once you build one you will be addicted and want to build more and more...There's just something very exciting about getting a box full of shiny new computer parts in the mail... ;) Oh, and order your stuff from Newegg.com exclusively.

It can be expensive. It just depends on how diligent and patient you are on waiting on deals.

A simple gaming PC that can play most games on decent specs could start at around $600. A high end rig can go up towards $1800.

As for the building aspect, it can be easy as long as you don't rush. I would say the most difficult part would be placing the CPU into the motherboard. Once the motherboard is in place everything else just snaps in, really. If this is your first build, I recommend using a static strap around your wrist so that you don't short out any of your parts.

Overall, patience is the name of the game. You rush and you could be paying too much or having to dismantle your rig to see which part isn't working and why.

x2 said:
Oh, and order your stuff from Newegg.com exclusively.

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with that. At times, Amazon has better deals than newegg and usually I don't have to pay tax and/or shipping. When it comes to PC parts, shopping around helps save money.

CreepinDeth said:
It can be expensive. It just depends on how diligent and patient you are on waiting on deals.

A simple gaming PC that can play most games on decent specs could start at around $600. A high end rig can go up towards $1800.

As for the building aspect, it can be easy as long as you don't rush. I would say the most difficult part would be placing the CPU into the motherboard. Once the motherboard is in place everything else just snaps in, really. If this is your first build, I recommend using a static strap around your wrist so that you don't short out any of your parts.

Overall, patience is the name of the game. You rush and you could be paying too much or having to dismantle your rig to see which part isn't working and why.

My thoughts exactly. Putting in the CPU and heatsink is probably the hardest part of the whole build. Hooking up all the front power/led lights is also a pain, but not very hard.

Edit: Caught your edit there. When it comes to something like computer parts, I would rather deal with Newegg who I know has excellent and no hassle return policies over saving a few bucks. But if amazon is good on the return thing then no problem.

What if I can't order off Amazon or Newegg? Is there any stores that I could get the parts for a decent price?

x2 said:
Edit: Caught your edit there. When it comes to something like computer parts, I would rather deal with Newegg who I know has excellent and no hassle return policies over saving a few bucks. But if amazon is good on the return thing then no problem.

They're very good. One of the most reputable as far as returns and customer satisfaction, but only if you actually buy from Amazon and not some dealer who sells in their marketplace.

ThravRande said:
What if I can't order off Amazon or Newegg? Is there any stores that I could get the parts for a decent price?

That's something you're going to have to research on your own. Try to find PC stores in your area, I don't recommend going to big box stores like Best Buy. They are definitely not the cheapest. I can almost guarantee that any brick and mortar won't be as cheap as online.

What you need to do is save money and get a cash card. You can then use that cash card like a credit card online.

Ah, that is good to know about amazon, thanks! I will have to scour them when I buy my next case. Shipping prices on cases sucks :lol

x2 said:
Ah, that is good to know about amazon, thanks! I will have to scour them when I buy my next case. Shipping prices on cases sucks :lol

Yeah they do. Their super saver shipping is awesome. I'm actually a Prime member. It's $79 a year but I order off them so much it's like paying a few cents for two-day delivery. So I have my items much quicker than usual.

That sounds great. Shipping costs really add up over a year. I'll look into that if I start ordering from them more.

x2 said:
That sounds great. Shipping costs really add up over a year. I'll look into that if I start ordering from them more.

Yeah you should. I also believe you can split it with someone else. So if you know anybody else who's interested both of your accounts can have Prime and you guys pay half.

Also, with Prime you get discounted 1-day delivery. It's $4.

Crazy...I usually pay $4 or more for "economy" shipping which is like 3-5 days...

Thrav listen give amzon a shot, find a local coinstar machine and you can put dollar bills in there and turn them into amazon gift cards with no extra charge. Just make sure you know how much it's all going to cost before you head to a CS machine so you don't have to make two trips :p

Snatcher_L said:
Thrav listen give amzon a shot, find a local coinstar machine and you can put dollar bills in there and turn them into amazon gift cards with no extra charge. Just make sure you know how much it's all going to cost before you head to a CS machine so you don't have to make two trips :p
You don't have to an account with credit card info to use those? That's how iTunes works. You can't use the gift cards without having CC info attached to your account.

ThravRande said:
You don't have to an account with credit card info to use those? That's how iTunes works. You can't use the gift cards without having CC info attached to your account.
Yep, it's free to have an account on Amazon, you'll just have to go to "your account" and add gift credit or something then just type in the code on the printout the CS gave you. I do it all the time :3

ThravRande said:

You can get a few parts at Best Buy, but really, if you're serious about building a computer, Newegg and Amazon have a better selection. Pay your parents in cash and have them order the part in question for you.

(And you can help egameaddiction.com by clicking teh Newegg link on the forums!)

Grindspine said:
You can get a few parts at Best Buy, but really, if you're serious about building a computer, Newegg and Amazon have a better selection. Pay your parents in cash and have them order the part in question for you.

(And you can help egameaddiction.com by clicking teh Newegg link on the forums!)
My dad got scammed out of money online, so he ONLY does business on eBay... so unless there's some way of buying without credit card info, I can't shop from there.

ThravRande said:
My dad got scammed out of money online, so he ONLY does business on eBay... so unless there's some way of buying without credit card info, I can't shop from there.

Uh, you can get easily scammed on eBay as well. So not sure about this logic.

If anything, you're less likely to get scammed from Newegg or Amazon than eBay. They're two of the most reputable and biggest online retailers in the world. I've placed literally hundreds of orders between these two places, (even an HDTV!!) and haven't been scammed yet.

Another option is to open a bank account when you have enough money and use the check card they give you to place orders.

Ironicly, I'd figure it'd be easier to get scammed on eBay than on Amazon or Newegg.

If you can only go to brick & mortar stores, your selection will be very limited and you won't be able to shop for the best deals. Maybe the suggestion to get a visa or mastercard prepaid gift card is the solution.

CreepinDeth said:
Uh, you can get easily scammed on eBay as well. So not sure about this logic.

If anything, you're less likely to get scammed from Newegg or Amazon than eBay. They're two of the most reputable and biggest online retailers in the world. I've placed literally hundreds of orders between these two places, (even an HDTV!!) and haven't been scammed yet.

Another option is to open a bank account when you have enough money and use the check card they give you to place orders.
It's not my logic, it's my crazy father's logic. He only uses eBay because he'd been using it before he got scammed, I can'y convince him to order from anywhere else.
I have had an account for a while, my parent's opened it for me when I was 13, but I never knew I was supposed to get a credit card with it. o_O

ThravRande said:
It's not my logic, it's my crazy father's logic. He only uses eBay because he'd been using it before he got scammed, I can'y convince him to order from anywhere else.
I have had an account for a while, my parent's opened it for me when I was 13, but I never knew I was supposed to get a credit card with it. o_O

Depends on the bank. It's possible that they won't give you one until you turn a certain age, but nearly all of the big banks give you a check card. It's not a credit card, but can be used as one.

Status
Closed