What got you into the NEO GEO in the first place?

Joined Nov 2005
140 Posts | 0+
Denver, Colorado
What about the NEO GEO got you interested in the system. I remember for me it was back in 1990. I was totally into arcades. I wanted something that would allow me to play these games at home. I sold all my systems and games to a friend and with the cash, I purchased a NEO GEO AES. It cost me around $750.00 for the Gold System. Over time I had around ten game then sold it.

I felt empty ever since! Next week I will be whole again by owning the NGCD and AES together!

GAMEFAN

I never bought the system when it first was out.

I remember going into a game store in Hawaii and seeing the amazingly cool boxes for the games, but couldn't afford (or at least justify) it. When I was visiting Japan during the early 90's, there was plenty of Neo Geo's around. They were in arcades and smaller game shops. This is where I first played Wind Jammers (Flying Power Disc).

The thing that's really got me into the Neo Geo was emulators, and developing for it. I have since purchased several Neo Geo CD systems, a couple of MVS boards, and an AES system.

What got me into the Neo was back in 1995 when I met a guy that worked at Funcoland and he had a Neo Geo CDZ. I thought it was the coolest thing, so I sold my 3DO and went into NYC to a place called Game Express and bought myself a $600.00 NG CDZ. Then I found the Neo Geo Website in 2000 and started out by trading my Dreamcast and games for an AES and the rest is history.

Well it was when I was a kid and saw the system in the arcades. I used to play Ninja Combat ALL THE TIME, and sometimes other stuff like MAgician Lord. Even back then, I knew the system was priced way out of my range, but about a year and a half ago, I was able to pick up a Neo Geo CD for really cheap, and since then I've amassed close to 50 games for it.

March 2002....I was working at GameStop....my boss was a huge fighting game fan...and he purchased a Neo Geo AES when it was brand new on the market....he brought that baby to work one day...with Samurai Shodown 2....Shock Troopers 2....and Metal Slug X....I had no clue how much those games were until I was educated about this stuff from neo-geo.com....

I wanted one badly...he hooked me up very quickly...I traded him my PS2 with 5 games for a Neo Geo...

I've played Neo Geo MVS Arcades for years..but never knew much about the company "SNK", except for their ports on SNES and Genesis.

Yet I do remember reading all the EGM magazines, the last few pages where they show the NEO GEO from stores like "Chips and Bits", seeing how insanely priced they were and wondering why....

Looking back at it...yeah those price tags dont lie...you really do purchase the Arcade...

Back in '92 I think it was.... Walmart had a dedicated Samurai Shodown Cab (if only I could have purchased that... it was NICE! but alas, I was too young).

Anyway... I played Samurai Shodown there for quite a long time. This is back when Walmart was actually clean and a nice store. Well... they are still somewhat clean, but imo not as nice as they used to be... especially since it became a super walmart or whatever. When we would go out to eat at the near by Lone Star (pretty good western style restaurant... you could throw peanuts on the floor :lol NOw you can't due to a lawsuit).... I would go over to the walmart and play Samurai Shodown while waiting for our food. I couldn't figure out what system it was for... I kept looking EVERYWHERE. Lets just say, I put in hours at the Samurai Shodown machine..... Awesome, Awesome game.

I then played king of the monsters at a local arcade.... and really dug that game. BUT I was soon able to find that on the Snes... but I was unsatisfied.... it just wasn't as good as the arcade.

SO, while browsing my EGM, I noticed the Chips N Bits ad..... I never really paid attention to that ad before. I called them and they were having a sale where you got 2 games free with the AES for $550 + shipping. SO, I had some cash from confirmation to burn (yes, this was back in 8th grade)... and my dad helped buy the system. So I got the system and the 2 games that came with it were Ghost Pilots and King of Monsters. I then bought Samurai Shodown, Last Resort, and Fatal Fury Special for myself. A couple of the guys I hung around with couldn't believe I got a Neo Geo.... I couldn't either..... the arcade sticks that came with it are awesome and still work perfectly today. I haven't bought many more games for the system because of the price, but I never regret getting the system. It ticks me off a bit that Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown are so cheap now.. :lol Oh well.

I have to say it was a BIG bummer when SNK declared bankruptcy a few years back. It was very cool that they made games for the Neo Geo AES and MVS systems until recently.... but it really sucked when they stopped making games for it. They still could have made other games for the system.... plus.... I wish Playmore had made more of a variety.

I cannot say too much of the details... but it also makes me a little unhappy that SNK Neo Geo USA Corp wouldn't do any more Neo CD games.

The Neo Geo is definitely a killer system!

BV :hat

Bluevoodu said:
I cannot say too much of the details... but it also makes me a little unhappy that SNK Neo Geo USA Corp wouldn't do any more Neo CD games.

Dave, you know how much I agree with you on that subject. I love my NGCD! Now, if I can just find another US Model, I would be happier! I should have never sold my US System 2 yrs ago.

It'll be hard to find them :) Those suckers.... man... they just never appear anymore.

It's like.... 2 years ago, I had a killer stock of Neo CD games. I still do, but quantities on some titles are starting to get low.

I can no longer get Burning fight new/us
art of fighting new/us
fatal fury new/us
adk new/us

and many of the other titles that were available. It is insane how things changed over the last 2 years. that and the PSP emulator really has hurt some sales of Neo CD games imo.... not just my sales, but many sales of other retailers.

It is hard to believe that the neo aes market basically has fallen out..... and it seems that other "Neo sites" have fallen away, or are in the process of dropping out. But hey, at least we got to see the good time :) It was definitely great while it lasted, and the Neo market is still there a bit and is fun to play.

Bv :hat

Bluevoodu said:
It'll be hard to find them :)  Those suckers.... man... they just never appear anymore.

It's like.... 2 years ago, I had a killer stock of Neo CD games.  I still do, but quantities on some titles are starting to get low.

I can no longer get Burning fight new/us
art of fighting new/us
fatal fury new/us
adk new/us

and many of the other titles that were available.  It is insane how things changed over the last 2 years.  that and the PSP emulator really has hurt some sales of Neo CD games imo.... not just my sales, but many sales of other retailers. 

It is hard to believe that the neo aes market basically has fallen out..... and it seems that other "Neo sites" have fallen away, or are in the process of dropping out.  But hey, at least we got to see the good time :)  It was definitely great while it lasted, and the Neo market is still there a bit and is fun to play.

Yeah, Ray at !Arcade! warned me back in August 2004 about the soon-to-be drop-off of Neo Geo Games. He said it would occur over the next 6 months back then and he was right to a point. I sold off most my AES at that time, but there is still some games catching a nice amount. As long as there are people who want them, there will be a market for them.

neogeofl said:
Yeah, Ray at !Arcade! warned me back in August 2004 about the soon-to-be drop-off of Neo Geo Games.  He said it would occur over the next 6 months back then and he was right to a point.  I sold off most my AES at that time, but there is still some games catching a nice amount.  As long as there are people who want them, there will be a market for them.
yeah... I remember that....

I am curious.... What happened that he said that? OR how did he recognize that it would happen?

I just remember how crazy it was seeing everyone sell off their collections.... even the massive ones...

Bluevoodu said:
yeah... I remember that.... 

I am curious.... What happened that he said that?  OR how did he recognize that it would happen?

I just remember how crazy it was seeing everyone sell off their collections....  even the massive ones...

Yeah, I use to talk to Ray all the time. I think it had something to do with Playmore/Sammy. I just know he was purging his stock of systems and modding them for Shawn. I just know that he had enough connections that made me rethink my collection and purge. Better to do that and wait then to kick myself for losing a lot of money. I hated selling off my Ultra System (1 of 6 ever made) he made for me, but I would have lost a lot on that deal.

only 6 ultra systems were made? what was special on that one?

I actually wonder how Shawn and other Neo sellers are doing...

It had a seperate video and sound board that needed an extra Power Supply (2 in total). The picture and sound rated with the newer systems available. I will have to look at the Neo Forums back in Sept 2004 at my posts for all the details of it. It was a sweet system and ran about $1,000.00.

son of a nutcracker. $1000 is a chunk of change :lol

That sounds pretty crazy. How did they get the seperate video to work right? I thought that was a problem some people saw because when people tried to use the special video boards, they weren't getting a better picture because it was still running through the old video setup somehow. I wish I could be more specific... but it's been a long time since I had this discussion.

KOF, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, and Samurai Showdown got me hooked into the whole SNK and Neo Geo thing. There was an airplane game that I played constantly in the arcades too..I think it was Aero Fighters. I've never actually played a Neo Geo console other than the Neo Geo pocket color. All the games that I've played were in the good 'ol arcades eating my money away.

hm... you had Aero Fighters 1 and 2, Strikers 1945 Plus (MVS - Arcade), Last Resort, View Point, Ghost Pilots, Brikinger, Pulstar, Alpha Mission 2, and a couple others I am not naming because I blanking on the title names.

†B†V† :hat

I know I've played Strikers 1945 for PS and the others dont look familiar to me. I want to play Metal Slug now, its so fun with co-op.

you have played Metal Slug, right? :D

Strikers is a really cool game. I hate to admit it... I almost bought a used PsX that I have in stock just for that game :lol

Yeah I think I've played all of them and beat them all too. The one that I can think of right off the top of my head is the one where you can turn into a zombie and a monkey, the others I'd have to play again to remember.

Bman409 said:
Yeah I think I've played all of them and beat them all too. The one that I can think of right off the top of my head is the one where you can turn into a zombie and a monkey, the others I'd have to play again to remember.
:lol that would be Metal Slug 3.. you turn into a Zombie, but a monkey follows you.

I can't wait for the Wii to come out... I am getting the Metal Slug Compilation.... MEtal SLug 1-5 :D

Although I already own Metal Slug 1 and 2 on the Neo Geo CD, and Metal Slug 3 on The Neo Geo AES.