Castlevania N64, has anyone played this?

Joined Feb 2007
2K Posts | 0+
Kentucky, US
I have not seen a topic on this one here. Was curious as to anyones take on this game. I just picked it up for around $4.00. And have been playing it this past weekend for the first time. I have found it to be a very good action adventure game. I was very surprised by it. I like some of the puzzle element that has been added in. Obviously it is not "THE" Castlevania, but I do think that it is able to stand on its own as a good game for the N64. Good enough to edge its way toward my top ten.

So did anyone else play this game and like it? :)

Well, there was 2 Castlevania games for the N64 I believe. I did play the first one and I liked it well enough. I do not remember much from it, though since it's been so long. I'd say it's definitely worth a measly $4, so good find :)

This is the first one on the N64. It has the Guy or Gal choice of characters. The second one did not, I think. I read a lot of bad reviews of it years ago and never picked it up. It makes me want to chase down the 2nd game. Yeah, for $4.00 it is a good "bargain kick back and play game."

I personally loved it. The first 3D CastleVania wasn't precised well by the public, however I love the soundtrack, atmosphere, and the massive bosses.

The 2nd CastleVania game was actually a Director's Cut sorta. CastleVania: Legacy of Darkness. Which you take the role of a Werewolf named Cornell or the Knight named Henry.

Now if you play Henry's game first, you'll notice it's a search and rescue mission. You must save all 8 children within 72 hours. Each child unlocks a new feature in the game (Costumes, Weapons, and Characters). If you find them, you can play as Reinhardt and Carrie in this game as well!

That's the only upper advantage to owning the CV: Legacy of Darkness.

Otherwise, the normal game cart is perfectly sweet as well :)

MegaDrive20XX said:
I personally loved it. The first 3D CastleVania wasn't precised well by the public, however I love the soundtrack, atmosphere, and the massive bosses.

The 2nd CastleVania game was actually a Director's Cut sorta. CastleVania: Legacy of Darkness. Which you take the role of a Werewolf named Cornell or the Knight named Henry.

Now if you play Henry's game first, you'll notice it's a search and rescue mission. You must save all 8 children within 72 hours. Each child unlocks a new feature in the game (Costumes, Weapons, and Characters). If you find them, you can play as Reinhardt and Carrie in this game as well!

That's the only upper advantage to owning the CV: Legacy of Darkness.

Otherwise, the normal game cart is perfectly sweet as well :)

I second this... I love both Castlevania games for the N64. I couldn't understand why more people didn't give 3D Castlevania a chance, but COULD accept 3D mario without remorse :lol

Irregardless, the effects are pretty good in both. The monsters are huge... and the soundtracks AND sound effects are superbly done. The only drawback was the viewing angle at some points in the game. Other than that... I personally think they were both VERY solid games.

Honestly, for some reason they made me think of the NES series while playing them. Not sure if anyone else felt like this.

†B†V† :hat

Bluevoodu said:
I couldn't understand why more people didn't give 3D Castlevania a chance, but COULD accept 3D mario without remorse :lol

I think its because Mario 64 had a controllable camera for one, while Castlevania suffered from terrible camera angles that really affected the gameplay. Myself personally, I have always been a diehard fan of Castlevania, and I can stand the N64 versions but they are not my favorites by any means. The music is very good though, especially for a cartridge based game.

Subjectively, it was a "good" game compared to most of the N64's rather lacking library... but as a game, under normal circumstances, it was quite bad... Arguably the worst in the series next to Belmont's Revenge.

Belmont's Revenge? Belmont's Revenge is actually one of my favorite classic GameBoy CastleVania games. It was as fast paced as CastleVania 3 on NES. It was freakin' good compared to the slow-as-mud game beforehand, CastleVania Adventure and the horrible super slow-as-mud "CastleVania Legends" on GameBoy Color.

I played the hell out of Castlevania and Casltevania: Legacy of Darkness, and thanks to some unmentionable methods and tactics played through certain means, I can still do such.

I started the game, killed some skeletons, killed a BIG skeleton, and that's as far as I got.