Neo Geo CD Neo Geo Cd issue

Joined Mar 2008
99 Posts | 0+
Within myself
Hi, I posted this on the Tech Support page on the main forum and never got as much as smart alec reply. SO I am going to repost it here and hopefully garner something.

I have a Neo Geo Cd toploader system that I bought recently and I already have a questions about it. I bought it off a legit seller who said he didn't know what was wrong with it, so I figured after I fixed a PS3, PSP, and a 360, I could use a challenge. Now I was told it was having loading problems and that was about it. I tested the system and saw that the motor works fine, the laser emits and check fine, and the sled assembly moves without a hitch. Now for the problem. I can put in any of the games I bought (which aren't copies) and all the system does is bring up the tracks on the cd. How does one actually play the game? Is it supposed to come up and give you an option (like the old sega CD) or is it supposed to happen automatically?

Any help would be useful. I have literally gone through hundreds of forums and topics trying to find an answer.

Ps. this is a Japanese unit.

Hello

the console happen automatically or if you put the cd after to boot the console you sould press "start"

the problem come probably to the CD unit

I know this will look crude, but I have just taken pictures of my TV screen.

This first screen is what you first get when you put in a game. I take it that the blue box says "please wait." I'm thinking that it must be detecting a CD game that is in the drive during this wait.
neocd1.png

After a few moments the blue box will be gone. Notice in the bottom left hand corner of the picture below, it says push start button. Pushing the start button on the game pad will begin the actual loading of the game you have in the drive.
neocd2.png

About trying to find information, I know how you feel. I just got my NGCD sometime before Christmas. I have been going through old threads trying to find as much info as I can. It seems that no one really is involved like they used to be in many of the Neo Geo CD forums. And it seems that there are very few that will respond. I take it that they are not playing anymore or are not visiting the forum like they used to. I hope that there can be a next generation of owners that begins to rediscover the NGCD.

Well it looks identical to those screens sans the "press start" It reads all the tracks, but just doesn't load up the game. I am not convinced that the problem is the drive. The entire assembly works as near as I can tell. Just doesn't load...

Could the lens be a little out of adjustment? Not that I know anything about those things.

another simple question outside the email I sent...

can you actually listen to the cd tracks?

BV :hat

also... just to confirm, you do not get any error messages?

you do not see the please wait,

you do not see the press start?

if you can play the cd tracks, it is my understanding you should be able to play the games.

I do miss when we had MANY Neo CD users. Times Change. If you guys remain active here... I can guarantee that we will pick up more people that still use the system.

The user base we had pretty much sold off all their gear and got out of the Neo CD and some of them got out of gaming all together. I only know a very small handful of people that still own them... and half of them don't play their systems any more.

I still play mine here and there.

Bluevoodu said:
I do miss when we had MANY Neo CD users. Times Change. If you guys remain active here... I can guarantee that we will pick up more people that still use the system.

The user base we had pretty much sold off all their gear and got out of the Neo CD and some of them got out of gaming all together. I only know a very small handful of people that still own them... and half of them don't play their systems any more.

I still play mine here and there.

Sad, real sad to hear that. I can never picture myself not ever being a gamer. Maybe it is because I have been in it soooo long. I can say that, and I am sure about it, that I will be gamer until I can't see or hear what I am playing. I would have to be incapacitated before I would quit. I guess I enjoy it that much. The reason that I am so sure is because I am 53 years old and I can't see myself changing. And I can be sure that I will play my NGCD until it wears out or I wear out! :) :lol I guess I will stick around here and haunt this area until it builds back up. I really don't want to double post. I really don't want to be posting to myself. :lol

Yes, I listened to all the level tracks on kof 96 and 97. I saw a quick message when I first booted it, but no "press start". I never saw any error messages pop up. First it the neo geo cd logo screen, then the cd player. I pop a game in, then it loads and displays all the tracks. I can play through them all and there isn't any issues with loading. Just the "press start" never comes up. Is it supposed to be there immediately?

On a related note, I have been a gamer for 25 years. I am also a huge collector so I don't imagine myself without the horde in my closet (no room in the apartment)

retro junkie said:
Sad, real sad to hear that. I can never picture myself not ever being a gamer. Maybe it is because I have been in it soooo long. I can say that, and I am sure about it, that I will be gamer until I can't see or hear what I am playing. I would have to be incapacitated before I would quit. I guess I enjoy it that much. The reason that I am so sure is because I am 53 years old and I can't see myself changing. And I can be sure that I will play my NGCD until it wears out or I wear out! :) :lol I guess I will stick around here and haunt this area until it builds back up. I really don't want to double post. I really don't want to be posting to myself. :lol
:lol well I will try to help respond to your topics :) and I don't ever see me getting out of the Neo CD or gaming ever... I enjoy it too much.

weaponepsilon said:
Yes, I listened to all the level tracks on kof 96 and 97. I saw a quick message when I first booted it, but no "press start". I never saw any error messages pop up. First it the neo geo cd logo screen, then the cd player. I pop a game in, then it loads and displays all the tracks. I can play through them all and there isn't any issues with loading. Just the "press start" never comes up. Is it supposed to be there immediately?

The Press start is not there "immediately" it takes a few seconds (maybe up to 20 seconds) to appear. BUT I BELIEVE it tends to appear when all the tracks finally appear, after the "loading" message. I have to say this one baffles me...

The only thing I can think of now is that the reader has gone bad and will only read music tracks, not gaming tracks.

A stupid question... are you using a neo cd pad or joystick? OR are you using a 3rd party made controller?

Have you ever tried to hit the reset button (not powering off) and trying to access the game again?

†B†V† :hat

Using the original AES joysticks. I've waited like 30 seconds and nothing ever came up. I am a little at odds with this machine.

weaponepsilon said:
Using the original AES joysticks. I've waited like 30 seconds and nothing ever came up. I am a little at odds with this machine.
Yeah... this is definitely odd. I am trying to contact one of the Neo CD guys I used to talk with to see if he has a clue.

Alright I've decided to revisit this after I fixed a Gamecube for a friend. I got to thinking and reopened my NCD. On the topside of the cd rom board there are 5 potentiometers. One blue one is on the laser. Now, if anyone who has done this in the past, please give me any detail before I start adjusting things.

Alright lads, time for an update!

I took her apart and took a crack at the blue pot on the underside of the laser (not removing any board.) I tweaked the blue pot COUNTER clockwise slightly and powered it up. I got a CD read error and there were no tracks on the cd player. I went back and turned the pot back CLOCKWISE plus a few degrees from its initial position. The game ACTUALLY LOADED but crapped out and went to an IO 002 error. I readjusted the pot a hair CLOCKWISE and again started the unit. Viola. Problem Solved. I am now taking KOF '97 for a spin.

Not bad for $50 (the system)

If anyone needs to figure out an IO0002 or a disc read error, I guess this would be this fix. BV, do you want to Sticky this for future reference?

Wow! That's great! Glad you sorted things out. I agree this might need to be a sticky. Would it need to be located in tech support?

weaponepsilon said:
Alright lads, time for an update!

I took her apart and took a crack at the blue pot on the underside of the laser (not removing any board.) I tweaked the blue pot COUNTER clockwise slightly and powered it up. I got a CD read error and there were no tracks on the cd player. I went back and turned the pot back CLOCKWISE plus a few degrees from its initial position. The game ACTUALLY LOADED but crapped out and went to an IO 002 error. I readjusted the pot a hair CLOCKWISE and again started the unit. Viola. Problem Solved. I am now taking KOF '97 for a spin.

Not bad for $50 (the system)

If anyone needs to figure out an IO0002 or a disc read error, I guess this would be this fix. BV, do you want to Sticky this for future reference?
I think this would be a good idea... I migh actually post up something on the site regarding this... as opposed to stickying it :)