XBOX 2 not backwards compatible + no hard drive

stealth toilet said:
Hey! Trkorecky, stop using my avatar! Well, I guess you don't have to, but it's confusing this way.

In either case, I heard a while ago that the Xbox 2 was just gonna be a chip or something. Does anyone know how that rumor got started, and if it had any factual basis?
:lol sensative about the AV, eh? Just say please :)

em.... no clue.... where did you hear about this chip rumor?

†B†V† :hat

em.... no clue.... where did you hear about this chip rumor?
Probably the same place that I heard PS3 will be using Sony's Memory Sticks rather than a DVD of some sort, that it'll have a hard disk, and will be quite small of a system.

Until I saw this thread actually I had accepted that rumor as fact. I thought it was a fairly popular rumor, I guess it may just be a Canadian thing.

I think that Microsoft will come out of the blue and surprise us all.........or just let us all down.

I am not going to say at the present.... but I can say that I will be ticked if they bring out a handheld.

BV

I doubt they will, even with the success of Xbox. It took them this long to get into the console market, so I just don't think they'd go for handhelds for at least a few years.

I think if they were going to get into handhelds, they should wait and see what happens with the PSP and the DS. If the PSP succeeds and the DS fails, MS would be more likely to follow the PSP's model. If it's vice versa, then MS would model their handheld after the DS.

In regards to the backwards compatability issues, MS is making a huge mistake, and hopefully they will realize it before its too late. The HD was also a very nice feature as some have already said the elimination of memory cards and the ability to rip music..well they just rocked. The games load so much quicker and can be so much more expansive with the HD, so I have no idea what MS is planning, but it better be some type of extended memory for the system, otherwise I don't see how games like ninja gaiden and halo would be pulled off at all without massive load times frequently.

Dr_Ackula said:
In regards to the backwards compatability issues, MS is making a huge mistake, and hopefully they will realize it before its too late. The HD was also a very nice feature as some have already said the elimination of memory cards and the ability to rip music..well they just rocked. The games load so much quicker and can be so much more expansive with the HD, so I have no idea what MS is planning, but it better be some type of extended memory for the system, otherwise I don't see how games like ninja gaiden and halo would be pulled off at all without massive load times frequently.
yes... the harddrive did save the Xbox in many areas.
While at the same time, it seems sad to me that the system has to rely on this for its best games.

They should make a system with a ton of fast RAM (like 12 gig of ram) .... they could work some really cool stuff off that :lol

Does anyone know why they are ditching the HD?

PErsonally... I lilke the cube without the HD.....
to each their own I guess.

†B†V† :hat

I believe one reason was because people could hack hard drives and modify things.......maybe im off, but i think its something like that.

Actually, I believe Microsoft said they were working on a way to get backwards compatability. Like an emulator or something.

Without backwards compatability, a lot of people won't get the next gen Xbox I don't think. Unless there are a lot of stellar games anounced for it, like another Halo (!!!), they're gonna have a hard time of it.

Bungie should start another series IMO. A Halo 3 would be extremely hard to improve while maintaining balance etc.