Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts | 0+
Hi all!

Newbie to the site. Please forgive me if this has already been asked, but....

My computer just crashed (not surprising after 9 years of hard use). I used it mostly for gaming. I'm looking to replace it, but was thinking maybe I should just get an Xbox instead (and a more affordable laptop for email, etc). What do you guys think?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of an Xbox over a gaming PC?
Do y'all think I should buy an Xbox instead of a gaming PC?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best,
J

I would stick with PC gaming if that's what you're used to. Especially for fps, switching from a mouse and keyboard to a controller would take some getting used to.

It really depends on what you want and can afford. Xbox is obviously cheaper but if you do any online multiplayer the price starts to climb a bit. PC has free online multiplayer but the hardware is more expensive.

Advantages XBOX -

Cheaper hardware
Great controller for games that are not FPSs
Large number of games not available on PC
No Hardware/Software compatibility issues

Disadvantages -

DLC is rarely free
XBLA Gold required for multiplayer
no mice/keyboard options
lower graphical capabilities
Hard drive capped at 250GB

Advantages PC (desktop) -

More powerful
Mice and Keyboard controls + game controllers (including Xbox 360 controllers)
Steam sales (including being able to back up your games)
better monitor resolution support
user serviceable
Bigger Hard drive space
Majority of DLC is free

Disadvantages -

Hardware can be triple the price of an xbox
PC monitors larger than 22inches can triple the cost as well
hardware/software compatibility
Most mainstream games are ports of 360 and usually run worse (there are exceptions)

Re: PC or Xbox?

It really depends on what games you like.

If you prefer console gaming, have a nice TV and stereo system to run an xbox 360 through and like Halo a lot, Xbox 360 would be the way to go. The 360 also has Kinect and several downloadable games on xbox live.

The downside is that you have to pay additional fees for a premium xbox account to play online multiplayer games.
-------------------
If you go the PC route, a PC can be more money up front, but you also have more options; upgrading graphics cards, adding a blu-ray drive, many many games available for PC are also on PS3 or Xbox 360.

If you prefer gaming with a mouse, go PC. If you prefer gaming with a controller, PC or 360 are both options.

Thanks y'all.

This has been helpful. If I had my way, I'd get both!

Ah, decisions, decisions.....

J

jjsankwalker said:
Thanks y'all.

This has been helpful. If I had my way, I'd get both!

Ah, decisions, decisions.....

J

If you do want both, you could go with a 360, then build a budget gaming box.

If Xbox 360 exclusive games are not necessarily your thing, you could always go with a PC, get a Microsoft controller, and use it with your TV.

It all really depends on what you want to do with it in the end...

Be sure to come back and let us know what you decide!

the xbox has more interesting controls, you have to use both joysticks on the controller. its really hard to get used to.

PC gaming on the other hand, the keyboard and mouse make it much easier!

I think CreepinDeth has made it clear. For me - the main disadvantages for Xbox are expensive games and there is more games on PC.