Feelin kinda retro

Joined Jul 2004
1K Posts | 1+
Bmount
The siren call of eBay has lured me in once again.

I won a Maniac Mansion for the NES, am bidding on Skitchin' for the Genesis, Rampart for the SNES, Faxanadu for the NES, and Rygar for the NES. I was also looking for a copy of espn extreme games in the long box and some sega cd stuff but I couldn't find auctions / only crazy priced bin's.

so my m.o. is cheap stuff. nothing (except for maniac mansion) cost more then a few bucks (I just really wanted that one). Anyone else got some favorite nes snes genny games from the mid 80's - 90's that's not overpriced on eBay that I should look at?

Retro is good. For Sega Genesis, that will be hard, to find some of my favorites for a low price.
6 Pak- this is good for a few games, contains Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage.
There is another multi Pak which includes Gunstar Heroes. Not sure of the name of it.

Not sure of the price range you are willing to go for. If you are like me the cheaper the bettter. There those games like Vector Man, Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Ranger X, Disneys Aladdin, Alisia Dragoon, Outrun, Gaiares, Truxton, EarthWorm Jim games, Zombies Ate my Parents, PHantasy Star IV, Bio Hazard Battle, Kid Chameleon, any Thunder Force shooter. There are a lot of good shooters for the Genesis. I got most of these games back when things were much cheaper.

sega's library hasn't aged nearly as well as Nintendo's library for me at least, so I'm looking towards games I've either not played yet or games that really trigger good memories.

For instance, I loved sonic. I played the first three until I could beat them straight through. I recently revisited and didn't enjoy one bit. Nintendo's rival platformer Mario still delights to this day. There was a time where I'd almost completely stopped playing Nintendo for sega. Now very few Sega titles interest me.

Roadrash, Outrun, vectorman, gunstar, sonic, earthworm jim, goldenaxe, altered beast, shinobi --all were amazing games that I really don't care for anymore. They were treasured and I still have copies of most of these but they've lost all playability. I'm not sure why, and I really hope that changes.

Sega wise I'm still looking for an affordable copy of shadowrun and aerobiz. Both were on SNES as well but had some differences, shadowrun especially. Aerobiz probably looks a little better on the SNES so if I get the snes version first so be it. I may start to focus on the often times overlooked Genesis RPGs, although I think I got the majority of them in a sega pack on steam.

It is difficult to recommend a lot of the SNES being that some games have a high price.
Games that I can recommend are ones that I enjoy. First the SHMUPS.
Gradius III
Super R-Type
Space Mega Force
Axelay
Thunder Spirits

And the Japanese Imports
Cotton 100%
COSMO GANG: The Video
Gokujyou Parodius- (any of the three parodius titles are great)

(And I am very close to putting out the $60 for Macross Scrambled Valkyrie)

are all the imports shmups too?

I have absolutely no problem putting out 60 for a great game but when you can put together a raspberry pi (even using an oe controller with some work or an adapter) and run anything you want it makes paying a premium on older carts a little more difficult, just knowing theres alternate ways out there.

right now I'll save the expensive carts for the off chance I find them cheap in the wild. eBay has been fun in terms of watching trends and comparing to time of day, number of bids, time of month, date, day, demand... Its a game in itself trying to take advantage of the vast differences. I'll keep grabbing <$20 games until I run out of space,

Concerning SNES,

You're not kidding. it seems like my very modest snes library went up in value almost ten fold in the last 5 years - 5 dollar games are now 20, 20 dollar games are 100, and others are just insane... I've bought a Chrono Trigger for 30 for just the cart and 60 with box and book 5 or 6 years ago...

Yes the ones I listed are all shmups.
I do use my DS with a recently purchased R4 "Revolution for 3DS" card. When I find a game I really like, I want a hard copy. It has been the instigator in me purchasing SNES and Super Famicom games. I ended up purchasing a reproduction Earth Bound cart. Not the original but just as good.

Yeah, I also enjoy the ebay game. There are some auctions that I know I can win if I time them right around weekends and Holidays, even those odd times of the day. And I am surprised that it still works being that most people use their phones.

Even the reproduction carts seem to get expensive. Is there an obvious tell that something is a repro? Like your Earthbound for instance, does it feel like a SNES cart, and can you tell a difference?

earth1.jpg

My repo is easy to spot. The cart feels just like a real SNES cart, nice thick heavy plastic. Look close and you will see that there are really no screws, plastic. The label is not sharp in its graphics, bit fuzzy when you look close, copied. A real label will have very sharp graphics.

earth2.jpg

On the back the word "Nintendo" is missing from the oblong circle-ish place in the plastic there under the sticker.

This seems to be a quality cart being that the pins are copper and not tin. I have not opened it up but it could be a glop on the board. Better ones have chips. Looking on youtube I have learned a lot concerning repo carts. They recommend that you carry a tool with you to take carts apart in game stores before you buy. That is if you are looking for the real thing. And some carts are very hard to tell from the real thing.

I came very close to buying an Earth Bound repro but I talked myself out of it last minute. I collect more than I play now so I couldn't justify it.

I got it from aliexpress.com. They occasionally have sales and mark downs. When I saw it I jumped on it. I have since purchased several games from them, all repro.

I've had this website in the back of my mind since you posted and have only just now decided to search it.

the stupid thing is laid out like a K-Pop video. Nothing makes sense. it's full of ADHD millennial click-bait. My first impression of the site was horrible. I felt like an infant and 1500 people surrounded me each shaking keys. I had no idea where to look. I would have no clue that site sold video games if I'd not been told.

Now that I know that I can use the search box instead of the really odd categories I browse to. TV Time, Modern Hippy, Long, Long.... Its Chineese crap for hipsters. I felt like an 18 year old at the pediatrician or a fat guy at a mall store.

Its cool though, their repro stuff is much cheaper than a lot of the alternatives.

That site is very difficult to negotiate. I usually type in search something like NES, Sega, etc. And I go from there. Sometimes I find stuff that I didn't find before. It is like an accident everytime you search.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Ever since my generation crossed over to not the most recent generation I've found myself doing things like hating how my most frequented websites change and making fun of how kids dance. I feel like I'm on the fast-track to prostate exams and conversations that start with "back in my day..."

Ok, the Super Famicom has lit a fire in me for the SNES again. I am very busy purchasing games for the console.

I've finally completed the mega man legends set with the purchase of the Misadventures of Tron Bonne for. Now I need to work on finding better cases for Legends and Tron Bonne.

I have been spending a lot of time with GAROU DENSETSU 2 (Fatal Fury 2) all this week. I can't believe how much I am enjoying this game. Joe Higashi is my man. Although he did fail me one day this week, but we don't want to talk about that. :mad:

My Super Famicom has become my console of choice for 2017, so far.

Nice.

Fatal Fury 2 was the first arcade cabinet I ever owned. I just moved out of UNCA and long-term borrowed a piece of property my grandmother had and put a mobile home on it while I decided if / what I was going to do with my life. My youngest wound up using the trailer for a while and pawned the cabinet for beer money or something like that. I had a few MVS carts that I swapped out from time to time but the cab was originally Fatal Fury 2.... I think NAM 75' stayed in it the most though.