Neo Geo CD Cannot format Backup Memory in Neo Geo CD

Joined May 2008
2 Posts | 0+
I have a second hand Neo Geo CD top loader which I picked up from a pawn shop. I works fine except when I go into the backup memory utility it tells me the memory is unformatted. When I try to format, it tells me the memory is write protected. Anyone know how to un-write protect the memory?

this is one problem I never heard of before.

Is there anything in memory that you can see?

†B†V† :hat

Well I opened up the unit and figured out what was wrong. It turns out there is a rechargeable 3v Lithium battery on the mainboard that had leaked. The acid corroded away the metal on the surrounding components. A couple parts literally fell off when I touched them

Now I need to clean it up and replace the components. Fortunately the circuit traces appear to be intact.

Does anyone have a close up picture of the underside of the battery backup area of the mainboard? Or if anyone knows or can read off the values for the following components that might help:

D2
D3
D4
PC19
R23
R24

These are all in or near the section of the board labeled "Back Up Area". I'm assuming D2, D3, D4 where diodes and I can solder on something similar but what were the rest?

Thanks.

That was going to be my guess is check the memory battery.

How much damage was done? I might be able to provide you with an underside pic, but I will have to see if I can successfully take apart the bottom shell of the neo Cd

†B†V† :hat

:eek:
I find this a bit shocking. I feel like I need to open mine up and put in a fresh battery that I did not know existed. I thought the unit charged something to keep the info.

Do be careful Blue. :sick

retro junkie said:
:eek:
I find this a bit shocking. I feel like I need to open mine up and put in a fresh battery that I did not know existed. I thought the unit charged something to keep the info.

Do be careful Blue. :sick
yeah... most devices like this have a battery. Even NES games had batteries if I am correct. The Dreamcast had a rechargeable battery that if you didn't keep the system plugged in, about 3 days later you had to reset the date and time.

Computers have batteries on the motherboard as well.

I believe the Neo Geo CD battery is the same as the Sega Saturn battery, but do not quote me on that because I do not have them to compare at this time.

†B†V†:hat