Neo Geo CD Finally entering the fold

Joined Sep 2007
53 Posts | 0+
San Antonio, TX
Greetings all! I have owned AES and MVS format, but I have been pining for a CD for quite a while.
I recently won a big Neo CD auction and since I can barely contain my excitement until it gets here, I thought I would tell you all about what is part of the package.
Besides a top-loader in its original box, it also includes:
Aggressors of Dark Kombat-US
Burning Fight-JP
Baseball Stars 2-JP
Crossed Swords-JP
Double Dragon-US
Fatal Fury 2-3
Fatal Fury Special
Joy Joy Kid-JP
KOF 94-95 and 98
Last Resort-JP
Metal Slug 2-JP
Samurai Shodown 1-3
Savage Reign-JP
Sengoku 2-JP
Sonic Wings 2
Riding Hero-JP
Raguy-JP
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special-JP
The Super Spy-JP
Viewpoint-JP
World Heroes-US
World Heroes Jet-JP

I am altogether too titillated. 2D gaming bliss is on its way to my mailbox. Which ones should I check out first?

Wow! You got a pretty good size win there. Lots of games.
Since your already familiar with Neo Geo stuff, then you will quickly learn the difference between the systems.
Try,
Samurai Shodown 1-3
KOF 94-95 and 98
to begin with. The sound and remixes will hit you first. The RCA connectors will give you some nice color. The load times will be probably more noticeable with the KOF series. You don't have last Blade there but it is very noticeable in it. You might find yourself sensitive to "load time" being that you have played the game carts. I have no problem with the load time myself. :) The games, to me, are worth the wait.

The remixed soundtracks that I have heard in the past have been positively enchanting (Mai's BGM from FF3 comes to mind); I can't wait to hear what is in store on some of the others! On a lot of these games, I am going to be amazed to see how they could improve on the original.

I know what you mean about the load times; hopefully, as I sit and watch juggling monkeys I can just remind myself that the horde of games I got would have bankrupted me if they had been on cart. :lol

I agree about the bankrupt part. I am on a budget and this is the only way I could have the Neo Geo experience.
Really there are not that many games that is that painful when loading. I think it has been overly exaggerated. The only one that I have, that I have really felt the wait, has been on Last Blade. I usually go on line and surf a little bit while I wait for the load. :lol

Aero Fighters 2 is a pretty good game... Although I see you have Sonic Wings already.

Wind Jammers is a must have :)
I personally like the King of Fighters 97 and 99... but they have the longest load times if I am correct. They are my favorites of the series.

Pulstar is a good game... but can be a bit pricey.

If you can find it: Real Bout Fatal Fury 2... I am not sure if I have any left... but that game is very good (longer loads though).

You have a pretty good list started! Are you going for them all?

†B†V† :hat

I'm not certain that I want every single CD. (there are plenty of mahjong games I can do without) However, I am definitely interested in owning the vast majority of what is available.

I think the silver lining of the CD only having the older crop of Neo Geo titles is that its library represents the golden years of the Neo; almost every available title is excellent.

KOF 99 load times arent as bad as I would have imagined. Ive been playing it for the last few days and while not fast by any means, it surely isnt as bad as I heard around the internet.

My collection (small, yet growing) consists of

KOF 99
KOF 96
Kof 96 Collection (art book)
Puzzled
Puzzle Bobble (hands down favorite game of my childhood)

Short list now, but I am always on the lookout for more.

I dont collect just to collect. I really need to WANT to own a game to purchase it. So for me, a game has to be fun over any need to have a certain disc, whether it be for art or the rarity of the item.

Although I am looking for Pulstar...hard to find item! And a reliable AES system. I love the NGCD, but some games such as KOF 2002 and on I want for a home system, and of course dont exist on the NGCD

I dont collect just to collect. I really need to WANT to own a game to purchase it. So for me, a game has to be fun over any need to have a certain disc, whether it be for art or the rarity of the item.

I couldn't agree with you more. Although I have nothing against those who collect, it does nothing for me. Games were originally made to be played, and I can't rationalize shelling out top dollar for something that will only give me bragging rights on the internet.

That said, there ARE some expensive, collectible games I want to own so I can play them. Ninja Masters, Pulstar, et al. are games I plan to actively pursue.

Yeah! Pulstar is NOT an easy game to find!

But yeah...I totally understand the mentality of someone wanting to collect every Neo Geo CD game made, but my money is spent way across the board w/ Neo Geo / Dreamcast / 3DO , and the 3 current gen systems.

and yeah..I know..3DO is a terrible system! haha but I fell in love w/ it when it came out playing a game called Killing Time, and I still play it every few weeks. Hands down my favorite "failure" system

although I still want a Jaguar just for AvP

Heh. There is no shame in liking the 3DO.

I just bought my first 3DO this past month. I have been loving SSF2T and Guardian War. Once I get done with Guardian War, it is on to Lucienne's Quest. That console has some amazing under-the-radar titles.

To keep it on topic. . . . . . . .what price would you consider "too much" for a CD title you really wanted that was also deemed collectible? I can't decide. I usually flinch if it gets into the 80 dollar range.

Agreed. Metal Slug 1 / 2 always pop up around 80-100 dollars, and thats about the top end for me. Once I get into that price range things like 'cell phone bill monthly payment' crop up. Still though...beats the AES cartridges hands down

For some strange reason, spending 80 dollars on three games is so much easier than for one single game, although I really would love to get the Metal Slug discs.

Definately try Killing Time for 3DO...the soundtrack is still hands down the best Ive heard in any game, especially if your into jazz. The frame rate is a bit off to start, but give it time. Still hands down my favorite game experience ever