Neo Geo CD 'Guilty Pleasures'

Joined Sep 2007
53 Posts | 0+
San Antonio, TX
These threads are always fun, because it is cool to see what lesser-known and generally dumped-on games are some player's favorites!

On CD, I will admit to having a particular affinity for Puzzled/Joy Joy Kid and Riding Hero.

I have already talked about Puzzled, but I have yet to admit my appreciation for Riding Hero.
There is nothing stellar about it; it is a mostly generic 2D motorcycle racer in the vein of Hang On and Road Rash, but it has a unique Story Mode that makes it worth dragging out for a while.
I have combed the internet for reviews/FAQs for it, and I have turned up nothing. This does appear to be one of the Neo's black sheep; even stinkers like Legend of Success Joe(bleck!) have FAQ's and reviews. If you enjoy shallow 2D racing fun, I suggest picking it up.

My love of unorthodox 2D fighters is well-attested; the World Heroes series is among my favorites, and I also enjoy Karnov's Revenge, Savage Reign, and Aggressors of Dark Kombat. Magician Lord is one of my favorite platform games of all time.

Anybody else?

I have grown to like Robo Army. It is just a simple side scrolling beat'em up using...... well....um... robots. :D It just seems to have a quality about it that just grows on me.

I too have grown to like Aggressors of Dark Kombat. And I have only recently acquired Magician Lord and find it to be an amazingly well put together platformer shooter type game. Full of fun.

Thanks for the heads up concerning Riding Hero. I have often wondered about it. I have only picked up bits and pieces of bad reviews of the game. I will have to keep my eyes open for a copy of one.

With the onset of a new semester, my Neo time has been at a premium. Today, I chilled out by playing a little Neo CD.

I played some Blue's Journey/Raguy. I think this title gets little recognition, mainly due to its graphic limitations.
On a console renowned for its knock-your-socks-off graphics, Blue has some of the most simplistic graphics on the entire console. What you will find beneath its unsophisticated aesthetic, however, is an extremely enjoyable platformer. If you enjoy platform titles at all, I recommend it.

CutChemist said:
With the onset of a new semester, my Neo time has been at a premium. Today, I chilled out by playing a little Neo CD.

I played some Blue's Journey/Raguy. I think this title gets little recognition, mainly due to its graphic limitations.
On a console renowned for its knock-your-socks-off graphics, Blue has some of the most simplistic graphics on the entire console. What you will find beneath its unsophisticated aesthetic, however, is an extremely enjoyable platformer. If you enjoy platform titles at all, I recommend it.

You know... I have very limited experience with this title...

I've always wanted to break the game out and try it since many Neo owners dog the title.

So you would recommend other members to give it a shot (assuming they enjoy platformers)?

†B†V† :hat

If you enjoy platformers, and specifically late 80's/early 90's platformers in the vein of Bonk, I think Blue's Journey is a worthwhile title.

I think it gets dogged exclusively because of its graphics; I suppose that is a fair criticism, especially since we are all accustomed to Neo titles blowing us away graphically. But since Blue was obviously made to compete with other contemporaneous platform titles, it doesn't seem so underpowered.

Where Blue's Journey definitely IS in a class by itself is replay value. There are branching paths, hidden rooms, and multiple endings. Compared to Magician Lord and the early 90's Neo lineup, that is exceptional. The next action game with comparable non-linear play I can think of is Metal Slug 3, an entire decade later. (The stage select in Top Hunter and the multiple endings in Spinmaster don't count)

Bottom line: if you can get past playing such an aesthetically underwhelming game on your Neo (and I know it took me some time to adjust) there is a SOLID platform game underneath.

Magician Lord is one of my guilty pleasures. I find that the levels are ill designed w/ multiple paths that lead to nowhere. In one instance the 'boss' is located directly above the starting point of the stage. I traversed the entire distance to the furthest right point on the map, then backtracked the entire way, when I could have done it all in under 5 seconds.

The soundtrack is a bit shit as well. Very 'head it down a hallway'

Yet I still thoroughly enjoy the game. It's plenty of action to keep me busy and definately not very easy.

My ultimate guilty pleasure is Puzzle Bobble. Takes zero advantage of the Neo Geo hardware, has the worst (and BEST!) soundtrack, yet can keep me there for hours!

I have finally finished the World Grand Prix mode in Riding Hero and I must say this is one of the poorest racing games I have ever played. The AI drones coming up behind you and hitting you, and then YOU slowing to a complete crawl ruins the experience for me. Additionally, if the ram you in a turn, you almost always hit a billboard, which results in a loooong delay before you get going again. Additionally, no matter what, you will be in last place again. Absolutely terrible game.

So far I don't have any guilty pleasures as all of the games I like tend to get well reviewed. I did find Thrash Rally a charming romp though. Perfectly acceptable even though it has earned the nick name "Trash Rally."

I also really enjoy Puzzled / Joy Joy Kid. Bought it for my gf, but definately enjoy it myself. I just wish you could make it full screen when its a 1 player game