Neo Geo CD How can we get old members back, and attract new ones?

Joined Jul 2004
976 Posts | 1+
USA
Hey guys,

It has been bothering me that this forum is not what it once was, most of our members left and never followed over after the move. I know the move wasn't the reason why...it started slowing down before that.

What happened? And what can we do to make this forum a lively place again? I advertise and spam this forum/site as much as possible, and I'm always telling people about it...yet it seems to be in such a stagnant state atm.

I know Neo*Geo stuff has been slowing down anyway, but I still see a moderate amount of people posting Neo CD questions over on Shawns forums..why not here?

I dunno what I'm ultimatly getting at, it just kinda bothers me that this place isn't like it used to be. I mean what happened to our 157 members? We used to have alot of heavy posters too, but they aren't around anymore either.

Well...any thoughts?

Re: How can we get old memebers back, and attract new ones?

Yeah, I thought about that too. I like to post here when I have a question, or something to discuss, but I've been so obsessed with building my own NGCD collection, and since I know what games I'm after, I don't feel the need to ask questions about em. I'd like it if there were more people to discuss stuff with.

Dr_Ackula said:
Hey guys,

It has been bothering me that this forum is not what it once was, most of our members left and never followed over after the move. I know the move wasn't the reason why...it started slowing down before that.

What happened? And what can we do to make this forum a lively place again? I advertise and spam this forum/site as much as possible, and I'm always telling people about it...yet it seems to be in such a stagnant state atm.

I know Neo*Geo stuff has been slowing down anyway, but I still see a moderate amount of people posting Neo CD questions over on Shawns forums..why not here?

I dunno what I'm ultimatly getting at, it just kinda bothers me that this place isn't like it used to be. I mean what happened to our 157 members? We used to have alot of heavy posters too, but they aren't around anymore either.

Well...any thoughts?

well.... I am not too sure on it either.

I know we have a lot of lurkers.... I know that for a fact as many people tell me they like to lurk the forums.

BUT... I know part of the reason for the decline is because I ran out of time for updates.

Also, the Neo CD and the neo market in general took a down turn. Look at the Neo market now.

Also, this site doesn't have the rep that shawn's does (at this time). 1st of all....we lost a lot of posts in the game addict's AND the neocd.net move... but the moves were for the better... and better for the future.

Its just going to take time... and people posting up better.

We lost a lot of good members.... I can try to email them to see if they would like to come back.

Do you want me to email all old neogeocd.net members and tell them (again) the location of the new forums?

Another reason is because the forums are in conjunction with the game addict's forums... that might turn some people off. I am not sure why.... just how things are setup though.

I like the setup... but maybe others don't? There are not a lot of "postible" areas in the neogeocd.net section now.... like there used to be... but many of the postable areas are in the main boards (IE general disc... and other unrelated forums to the Neo cd).

DO you all have ideas?

†B†V† :hat

another problem happened with neogeocd.net mysteriously lost hits

We were cranking 100-200 people per day (not too bad for an average site).  Then all of the sudden within 2 weeks... it was knocked down to 30-40 per day and it never returned.

I have yet to figure out what happened.

But I can guarantee (especially from past experience) the more posts / info that can be added here... the better of a chance we get more members.

we started neogeocd.net with only 4 members.  It took awhile to grow.

What do you all think of my idea to email all old members? I do know MANY of the older members that were good posters are now out of the neo cd.

I certainly think that e-mailing all the old members is a good idea. Get their attention if nothing else.

Bluevoodu said:
What do you all think of my idea to email all old members? I do know MANY of the older members that were good posters are now out of the neo cd.

Besides Winter....who else is no longer into the Neo CD? Surely that many people didn't just sell off their collections and quite did they?

Have you not emailed all the members before? I think its a great idea to email the former members, but if you have done it before..then I dunno what their prob is.

As for the main site losing hits...I dunno. My one suggestion to that is I think you should be linked to more places. I never see any other Neo sites linked up to yours, maybe you should consider emailing alot of other Neo site owners and offering to exchange banner links with them, if I understand the way search engines ect work, the more your linked the better your chances of topping out the searches. Not to mention more people who go to other Neo sites would be aware of this one.

I'm not trying to be a harbinger of doom here or anything, it just concerns me that we have lost so many members, and I don't think the move is what did it either. I don't see why people would have a problem with this forum being hooked onto the Game Addiction one either. But the general discussion area on the old forums was used alot....so you might have a point there. Maybe some people come here and do not realize that Game Addiction forums are a part of this one as well, and they see no gen discussion area here..I dunno.

I bought out CD collections from at least 4 people.

I have emailed all the old members.... 2 times in fact.
I can try it again.

One of our largest supporters (leepantalone)... I have not heard from him since september.

retep (another large poster) has posted here a couple times, but it busy with work.

Some others have come by ... but said there weren't enough posts for their interest.

kumavonmitsurugi12 ... I am not sure what happened to him... and Sai has been too busy as well.

I hate to say ... but the majority of the members got out of the Neo or are too busy.

I have emailed some other sites to trade links... but many neo sites don't respond.... or they are not beind developed for anymore.

I've noticed that neo-geo.com seldom talks about the Neo Geo CD on their boards. I think we discussed this once before, but I think the CD is generaly looked down on over there

Z-Force said:
I've noticed that neo-geo.com seldom talks about the Neo Geo CD on their boards.  I think we discussed this once before, but I think the CD is generaly looked down on over there
yeah... it is looked down upon there. There really are not too many supporters there except some newer fans that come in... but don't post that much.

I'd say there are a few over there that support it..... I was trying to get them to help with here... but they have too much on their plate already they said.

and really... with the way the Neo scene is headed.. I am just not sure how long the Neo popularity is going to last. It REALLY has died off (all neo systems) in the last 4 months.

it was your email Bluevoodu that got me back to this forum. I think most people into neo do use neo-geo.com first before anything else tho personally for me i don't like the forums there. I very rarely get an answer to a post and find it to be quite bitchy sometimes so now i just tend to read forums than add my two penneth. I like the forums here much more friendly., but i think z-force was right when saying when you really don't need to ask questions about the games you know you want and the ones you own. I think the main problem is the neo geo cd itself and its small games list as not that many people are into the cd. A way of getting more interest here ? not sure as i no technical wizard on the internet and dont understand running web pages and forums but couldn't you advertise this forum through neo-geo.com? or have it link here when anyone posts a neo cd question there?

well im back. even though i only had like 15 posts on the old board
i still have lots to say about neo geo cd.and have gotten into it alot more lately.

as for tips to get new people maybe try putting the site on webrings.
when i was searching for neo cd sites (before i found this one) all the sites were mostly sections on aes sites that had little more to say than "heres a pic of a neo cd".than i found this site and its been the best place to get answers through lurking.
look out neo cd forums here i come.lol
salvo

hey man! its good to have you back :D

little posts or not, the conversations were good :)

so do you like how everything has translated to here?

Things will be organized better once we get over to the dedicated server (which is the main reason for combining all 3 sites).

But hey... its good to have you back :) its been a tough one getting old members to post.

Hi everybody,

I am reading here once in a while and since blue mentioned that people start to drop out I thought of giving you my thoughts on it.
I started off with neo cds and quit in favour for a mvs setup. I did so because of the loading times of neo cd games and the fact that many of the nicer titles never made it to the neo cd. Nevertheless, there are still a good amount of titles that are very playabele on the CD system. MVS titles on the other hand have dropped with prices and are much more affordable nowadys. I am a member of a german neo forum (www.daddelkingz.de) that has members that like neo AES (or homecart systems), MVS and the neo cd. However, there are just a few cd users and most of them are either collectors or newbies in the first place. Since it´s official that the neo is a dead system people somehoe seem to lose interest in general (though our forum is still alive as it ever was).
But don´t give up on the forum as it´s still a nice and very friendly place to chillout.

hey! Welcome to the boards :)
we are glad to have you here... and hope you enjoy your stay.

Thats cool! So you lurk, eh? :)

Yeah... I have emailed the daddelkings site a few times to try to trade links.... but so far no luck on a return email.

I have another site that I am linking up with very soon... they have linked us up... and I am waiting for a linking image for them.

Anyway.... cool stuff! glad you could make it.

As for people and losing interest in the Neo CD... you think most are noobs? That could be somewhat so. A lot of times, people come back to the Neo CD for the cost. They can eat the loads for the price savings... and the music on these CD's are wonderful... not to mention the gameplay as good... and crisp graphics through the S-video. I do see what you are saying.

As far as neogeocd.net losing most of its members... it is truely odd. back in June 2004... we had a bunch of people turning out and posting.

But as I said in one of the previous posts.... all of the sudden the neogeocd.net site died off (hit wise). Instantly in 3 days we went from 100-200 hits per day to about 25-50 per day. It was the strangest thing.

I hope that when I get do reworking everything that we'll have our user base built up again.

Yes, I´m a lurker... :)

I can PM Kgen to link you up on the daddelkingz side, he´s a very friendly guy, and I wonder why he´s never answered to your mail. Just need your email-address, than I can work it out.

Now what really helps to keep a forum alive:
We do have daddelkingz meetings IRL to keep in contact, last year we had five of them and quite a few people did show up, so quite a few members know each other personally.
I just thought about that imagining how difficult it would be to gather people in the US due to distances. But still..have you thought of it?

Back to noobs...you start thinking of joining the neo geo and find that the neo cd is the most unexpensive way to do so. Then you find out about the loading times with fighters, then you notice there is no Garou and Strikers. Then you sell your CD system and buy a mvs setup because you´ve fallen in love with neo games and want it all.

here is the email addy:
[email protected]

I wanted to have the:
www.neogeocd.net
and www.egameaddiction.com

sites linked. egameaddiction.com sells neo stuff (along with most every other system)... and neogeocd.net is the neocd site, of course :)

Both are getting new content and info. neogeocd.net is now listed @:
www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd BUT neogeocd.net will still take you to:
www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd.

Yeah.. it would be hard to do meetings. I thought that might be a cool idea.... but at the same time, it can be tough.

The Info has been sent out. He isn´t currently online but he will reply fast. I´ll let you know.