Neo Geo CD That Old Passion for Arcade Gaming, Still Lives!

Joined Feb 2007
2K Posts | 0+
Kentucky, US
Hello... ello, lo lo lo o o o. Hmmm.... seems like that strange echo is back, back ack ack ack k k k. (tap tap) Is this mic on?

Odd that this area stays so silent. But I guess people are just not that interested in talking about these older games anymore. I find that a lot in the forum's of older game systems. I have a passion for retro games and have no interests in the present generation of systems. I spend all of my gaming time in the retro systems. I guess that, I am unique in being that way.

I love arcade style gaming, that simple pick up and play addiction, which might explain my obsession with the older games. This time period, for me, that I am stuck in, involves the late 80s and early 90ish to that mid and sometimes to late 90s. I never tire of that type of gaming. But the age of the arcade is gone. And so is their influence on console gaming.

After that it seems that gaming started taking a different route on the consoles. And the modern, present generation, seems that it don't even catch my interest. I don't even bother looking any more as to what is new on those systems. Has the simplistic addictive fun gameplay been lost as console gaming becomes more technically powerful? I miss hand drawn sprite gaming with smooth animation and addictive gameplay.

So I remain chained to the past. And even though I love cart based gaming, I love having the Neo Geo CD. I wish I was pouring with money so that I could afford the AES with all of its games, and glory. So for the time being, I will try to be satisfied.

The Neo Geo CD provides an outlet to funnel some of that hunger for the old arcade gaming. Being that I have a TV right next to my desktop, I sometimes just let a Neo game run while I am online. It is easy to just turn to my right and play for a few minutes and then go back to the net, or do some work. I get that arcade feel with one of those games. And, for some reason, they never get old. Being an older gamer, maybe I never out grew my childhood. Or maybe they just keep that youth alive in me.

I apologize for the long post. I guess the passion just sort-of leaked out there for a moment. "Last Resort" is calling to me. The monkey is juggling those balls. Looks like it is going to be a good Neo day. :D

nowloading_sig.gif

i tend to switch back and forth with old school gaming and present day gaming, although i love the depth of modern games i also enjoy the challenge and simplicity of the retro.

i guess i can understand why would you like to be stuck in the retro era and imo there's nothing wrong with it since the retro still rules.

Excellent post... and you shouldn't apologize for a long post. Honestly, It is great to see someone take time and create a well written and thought out post.

I would definitely like to see more of these... as I enjoyed reading it.

This area used to be jumping... but I believe that era has come and gone. I believe if members would post up in this section more (or any section) there would be more interest. The section cannot be kept up by 1-5 users.

I am not too fond with the newer systems and the way they are going. There are positives about their direction... however, there are many negatives as well. The new systems tend to lose site of where we came from. I mean, there are cool new features... and I like some of them. However, I miss the days when a gaming console was just that. Those days are long over.

I can guarantee that if people post up here... we will have more activity.

Side Note: The review section is in limbo because I'm trying to work out the overall site direction and trying to make sure we run neogeocd.net into a CMS system so everything is faster (more-so for my end)... and users will be able to upload their own content eventually.

Keep up the good posts! :woot

†B†V† :hat

Bluevoodu said:
I am not too fond with the newer systems and the way they are going. There are positives about their direction... however, there are many negatives as well. The new systems tend to lose site of where we came from. I mean, there are cool new features... and I like some of them. However, I miss the days when a gaming console was just that. Those days are long over.

Side Note: The review section is in limbo because I'm trying to work out the overall site direction and trying to make sure we run neogeocd.net into a CMS system so everything is faster (more-so for my end)... and users will be able to upload their own content eventually.

Keep up the good posts! :woot

†B†V† :hat

I do agree Blue about what you said concerning the positives of the newer systems. But for someone like me, I feel left behind in the dust holding an empty brown paper bag. It seems like the “arcade like genre” has been long forgotten. Maybe it was never really honestly recognized as a genre. Or some of its influences have been merged so much into other things that it is no longer recognizable to those who love it in its purist form. For someone like me, I either conform or hold on to those things in the past. I do believe that there are those who just lose complete interest in gaming because of this one thing. I know people that are like this. And I know some, that are my age, that still cling to their NES or their Atari 2600. The present day game industry sort-of sees the need or they wouldn't be releasing things like “Taito Legends” and “Capcom Classics Collection.” Lets also include the online content of retro games for download on the present systems too. Yes I love having those, but where is the creativity to explore the genre and bring new ideas to the present generation of systems? Is the present industry lost with this genre? Here they have these powerful systems that we only dreamed about when we were in our youth standing there in the arcades smashing away at those buttons. We were thinking to ourselves, “If only I could have something like this at home?” These systems are more powerful than anything that they had in the arcade. I sort-of get the idea that they think that all we want is more realism. And yeah, the heavy realistic graphics are great for some applications, but where is my 2D arcade stuff? The present generation of consoles forget that they were birthed from the arcade.

And I understand that things have changed because of technology and culture. I guess I just want a piece of the pie.

The reality of the situation is, the gaming industry has lost my money right now as income. I am spending my money on all of these older games for these retro systems. At one point this year I was contemplating saving my money up to purchase a present generation system. But it occurred to me that if I saved up that much money I would have enough money to get a Neo Geo AES system! I felt more excited about that and satisfied than I did about any present system.

On a different note, great to hear about your progress and ideas concerning this area.

nowloading_sig.gif

I enjoy the older system because that's what I grew up with. It takes you back to a simpler time, before bills, car payments, responsibilities...

It's funny, I remember being so annoyed with my old algebra teacher who would listen to the oldies (60s) station while we took tests. Though as time goes on, I can see I am going to be "that guy". I love music from the 90s. And I am also stuck in the 90s from a gaming perspective as well :)

Something about these old games... first they are cheap, there are so many hidden gems to discover, and you don't have to dedicate 40-60 hours to enjoy the damn thing. Me and my girlfriend can sit down and play through Top Hunter in 90 minutes and see EVERYTHING. There is no modern game that lets you do that. These old simple games, there is a certain addictive charm to them, it's hard to place.

I still enjoy modern games, I will be picking up Forza 3 soon, and that is going to consume the next month of my life, no doubt. But the modern games that can do that are few and far between. And between modern game binges, I will be sifting through Good Wills and the used game stores on a weekly basis picking up a few games here and there to occupy my time.

i'm totally in the same boat. i grew up with games as a hobby and i used to frequent the arcades wherever they were and wherever i was at.

i like to turn on my Neo CD/AES or Sega Saturn and let games play through the intro and demos. pick up and play it a little bit and set it down. come back to it, etc.

i have much more interest in the games of the past. Sega Master system, NES, Genesis, SNES, TurboGrafx, PS, Dreamcast...

admittedly, there are a few modern games that interest me and i like how the PSP and Nintendo DS are still bringing us some good looking 2D and 3D games.

but yea, i'm way out on my own most of the time. the people i work with like video games but old games? :-X

everyone wonders why i'm spending my money on "old stuff" :?

oh well ;)

Grandmaster, I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to the intros and the demos. I do the same thing. I have had my Saturn out recently, getting ready to spend some time with Christmas NiGHTS. I have also been purchasing games for my Turbo Grafx and N64 in the last few months. Those $2.00 and $3.00 auctions. And yes they are a bargain, aren't they kgenthe? You get such great treasure for a low price. On my DS I am totally addicted to Geometry Wars: Galaxies. It is sooo retro. It is so much like an old arcade game in its design. It would have been great in an arcade.