GameStop wants access to your Xbox Live Account. Oh it gets better..

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
Don't be scared...it's just the future of digital downloads in the year....20XX.... 8)

While GameStop is perfectly happy selling you Xbox Live points cards at the moment, in the future, the retailer wants to do more than that. It wants your Xbox Live details, so it can send you the stuff it's selling.

"Today you pick the card up off the rack that's associated with that map pack, we ring it up as part of your transaction in the store, and then we give you the code that allows you go home and [access the content]", GameStop's Shawn Freeman tells Ars Technica.

"Ultimately, we want to reduce even more of that friction, so when you buy that map pack in our store, we're going to be able to associate your Xbox profile with your GameStop profile, and then automatically push that to your download queue."

This means if you buy something digital in a GameStop store, and left your console on while you were out, by the time you get home it'll have downloaded and be there waiting you.

Convenient, sure, but how at ease would you be with sharing that information with GameStop?

http://kotaku.com/5732315/gamestop-wants-access-to-your-xbox-live-account

LOL Kotaku's so paranoid.

I think this is really cool. I hate typing in XBLA and PSN codes. I would love to have them in my account already when I get home. It would be so much more convenient.

I like the idea, but I admit I'm a little paranoid about sharing my info like that.

I like it. It'll make things easier on our part. Who cares about the personal info? If they sell your stuff then you can sue them for all the money in the world. Not like they will anyway. Buncha negative nancies up in herr'.

Jack said:
I like it. It'll make things easier on our part. Who cares about the personal info? If they sell your stuff then you can sue them for all the money in the world. Not like they will anyway. Buncha negative nancies up in herr'.

It's not necessarily about GS doing it themselves. But the more personal info you have out there, the easier it can be to get hacked. Is it highly unlikely that will happen? Yes. Not saying it's going to happen, but when something bad does happen, it's not as easy as suing GS.

But I agree that it's convenient, I still won't be a part of it since I don't shop there anyways.