Neo Geo CD Homebrew Frog Feast Update

Joined Feb 2005
97 Posts | 0+
Houston, TX
I have gotten Frog Feast http://www.game-shoppe.com (a Frog Bog clone) to the point where the frog can be completely controlled.

A preview version , can be downloaded from Game Shoppe http://www.game-shoppe.com/NeoGeoCDFrog.zip.

To burn the Neo Geo CD disk (using Nero):
Create a Mixed Mode CD.
On the ISO tab, ensure the CD is ISO Level 1 and Mode 1. Ensure the Character set is ISO 9660. Joliet is checked on mine, but also works if unchecked.

Click New.

Drop the Files from the above zip files. (Do not drop the subdirectory, but all of the files). There are no subdirectories on a Neo Geo CD.

Drop an Audio track into the lower window. (WAV/MP3). Nero will complain if the format isn't correct.
The WAV that I used 44 KHz, 16 bit Stereo. I think the minimum length is 4 seconds, but the one I use is 40 seconds. Nero might be a bit more tolerant with MP3s.

cdoty said:
I have gotten Frog Feast http://www.game-shoppe.com (a Frog Bog clone) to the point where the frog can be completely controlled.

A preview version , can be downloaded from Game Shoppe http://www.game-shoppe.com/NeoGeoCDFrog.zip.

To burn the Neo Geo CD disk (using Nero):
Create a Mixed Mode CD.
On the ISO tab, ensure the CD is ISO Level 1 and Mode 1. Ensure the Character set is ISO 9660. Joliet is checked on mine, but also works if unchecked.

Click New.

Drop the Files from the above zip files. (Do not drop the subdirectory, but all of the files). There are no subdirectories on a Neo Geo CD.

Drop an Audio track into the lower window. (WAV/MP3). Nero will complain if the format isn't correct.
The WAV that I used 44 KHz, 16 bit Stereo. I think the minimum length is 4 seconds, but the one I use is 40 seconds. Nero might be a bit more tolerant with MP3s.

The file you linked to is an .iso + cue. I tried to burn it like you said to with nero..althogh I have no idea why you would have a .cue file in a mixed mode cd...and I got a coaster.

So then I tried just using the cuesheet to burn the iso with fireburner...yet another coaster.

D'oh! You're right. This is the iso I use to test with the Neo CD emulator.

Re-download the file. The new zip contains the necessary files rather than the ISO image.

The instructions for creating a disk involve dragging the files into the Nero window.

Also, remember you need to use an audio track as track 2.

Nice work:)

All the systems that I collect for too ;D

Saturn maybe? What about Lynx (I'm so greedy)?

The big problem with the Saturn is the disk protection. But, some people seem to be progressing on that.

If they come out with a way to create a bootable disk (on an unmodified saturn), I'll release a version for the Saturn.

The Saturn is a good system to program on.

I've never done anything on the lynx, and couldn't build the carts (due to my lack of soldering skills).

There are some unlisted systems that I've recently made progress on.

Currently I have 7 CD based systems in various states of working.

cdoty said:
The big problem with the Saturn is the disk protection. But, some people seem to be progressing on that.

If they come out with a way to create a bootable disk (on an unmodified saturn), I'll release a version for the Saturn.

The Saturn is a good system to program on.

I've never done anything on the lynx, and couldn't build the carts (due to my lack of soldering skills).

There are some unlisted systems that I've recently made progress on.

Currently I have 7 CD based systems in various states of working.

What about the Jaguar CD? :D :lol

†B†V† :hat

The Jaguar CD is in the planning process. I can compile code for the Jaguar and test on a BJL cart. I've recently done some work to get GCC to support the Jaguar BJL and Cart. (http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67649).

I need to write some routines to set up the screen and sprite functions. Once these are written the game will work the same as the Sega CD and Neo Geo CD versions, since they'll all share the same game source code. Only the routines and setup stuff is different for each system.

It's a simple process, from what I understand, to create a CD from a Jaguar program.

That's so cool, I wish I had the knowledge.

I've been reading up on the saturn protection on assembler. I hope it gets cracked. Its certainly my of my top systems to play on.

Out of interest, do you ever plan on producing cds etc for purchase a la implode (perhaps that was you??..my copy isn't to hand:)). All this technical stuff sounds fantastic but sadly over my head and I'm a sucker for retro.

Yeah, I'm working with OlderGames.com. They seem to produce quality packaging and don't charge a fortune for their games.

The Frog Feast website has been updated. This includes the updated Frog Feast demo. http://www.game-shoppe.com/ This includes a new version for a previously unmentioned system, the FM Towns Marty.

I updated the Neo Geo CD version of Frog Feast. I was improperly handling an interrupt, and was incorrectly displaying the wrong sprite when the frog was facing left in the water.

The demo will now go into the game screen, and is interactive.

cdoty said:
Yeah, I'm working with OlderGames.com. They seem to produce quality packaging and don't charge a fortune for their games.

so they create their own packaging..etc?
I actually wanted to start doing something like that with homebrews and getting them to market.

With Neo CD games, I am checking with SNK and the legality of it all (since we are basically doing business with SNK).

but we are HOPEFULLLY  going to be doing homebrew stuff in the future once I get the legality issue settled...etc.  We'll host the games in our shop.. do publicity( just try to get some attention to the game via write-ups..etc..) But a lot of that is coming in the near future after I am finish with our homepage site design:
http://www.egameaddiction.com/testindex.php

BV :hat

I think that is what is helping the Atari scene. Atari Age has done a greate job of handling all of the Atari stuff.

well.. I do plan on this in the future... but I am not 100% sure on how to do packaging ..etc... for homebrew games.

I've actually been trying to get into it since 2002.

But I haven't figured out how everything works yet. For awhile, I was helping 1-2 groups make music for Video Games.

In fact, I am HIGHLY thinking of getting some programmers together tha know how to work with the Neo CD... and I want to make a realistic shooter. I would do some of the graphics/music.

If you have interest in that, let me know :) I would like to make a Raiden style game with a giga wing twist.
Fast, vert scroll, power ups and many different weapons.

Bv :hat

Bluevoodu said:
If you have interest in that, let me know :) I would like to make a Raiden style game with a giga wing twist.
Fast, vert scroll, power ups and many different weapons.

are there some samples you can show?

blastar...

yes, when I have some time mid may, I'll drop my samples in a thread here... but the samples will be very limited. since this is Cdoty's Frogfeast thread, I Am not going to discuss mine anymore here.

I'll start up a new thread.

BV :hat

Hello

i try to copy your game like you say but i have only the title screen, i can not play