Has the PS3 turned out the way you thought?

Joined Jun 2004
11K Posts | 0+
Georgia
After some years now, what are your thoughts on the system? Better than you thought? Worse? So so? How have you felt about the PS3 as a whole?

Let's not count the hacking of PSN, though. :p

I think at first I was skeptical about it... and honestly the only reason why It redeemed itself is because of the upgraded RPGS it received plus fighting games on it are free to play online... however I still don't like most first party titles and I still don't like Sony as a company but nowadays I seem to hate all the 3 big companies so it is alright

I was definitely skeptical about it at first. :lol

It's turned out pretty nicely, though. I feel as though the game library is not as diverse as the PS2, but that can be attributed to the popularity of fps games this gen compared to last.

I agree with Zidart in that I also think very poorly of the big three. Picking out the least stinkiest poo still leaves you with poo. Sorry for the graphic.

If I did, though, I would have to side with Sony (I actually did in RL too, after 3 years of sitting on the sidelines of this generation I eventually got a PS3). Free online, the best exclusives, free wireless connectivity (for the first couple years of the 360 you had to buy this, and it wasn't cheap...), rechargeable batteries in the controllers, 7 player local connectivity (yes I have used this - sports games), the fact that it actually worked and did not break down after 2 years, and non-proprietary hard-drives/headsets pretty much sold it for me. Blu-ray was nice, too, but not a big factor. I also think it will out-live the other consoles quite easily, which is good, cuz I am not buying another console again for a long time.

It wasn't as commercially successful as I thought it should have been. I still think 360 numbers are inflated, though, so maybe in reality it did comparatively as good as I thought it would. I definitely think it was the best of the big three. Wii dropped the ball big time with pretty much everything about their console, and M$oft should their true colors with the 360 with their monetization and advertising schemes (underhanded pricks).

Sony still screwed me (not just by having lax security), but less so.

PS3 turned out just as I pretty much guessed it would. I actually hated and made fun of the PS3 in the beginning during its initial year released (check the threads), but eventually purchased one. I was overwhelmed by how great a system it actually was. As stealth touched on, all the extra bells and whistles actually make it worth it, and the console is now competitively priced rather than inflated like in the beginning. How much it sold doesn't really bother me, as we see the Wii having outsold the PS3 and 360 by a large margin and still lacks decent third party support. I agree it'll outlast the other consoles by a long shot and that's why I think my money was well invested with the PS3.

Mai Valentine said:
After some years now, what are your thoughts on the system? Better than you thought? Worse? So so? How have you felt about the PS3 as a whole?

Let's not count the hacking of PSN, though. :p
I think it's turned out WAAAAYYYY better than expected. It turned a Sony hater into a PS3 lover :lol

Many good games... but most of all, I like the interface of the system. It's not cluttered.. it's fast... and I Think that's the major factor of why I bought / Play my Ps3 more.

†B†V† :hat

My PS3 was the last console I bought, I'd wanted one ever since it was announced (Loved the PS2, I currently own 4 different PS2s lol) But never really had the money. When I bought my Wii in 2008, I was really disappointed in the online play, and decided I'd stick to PC gaming for online. However, once I got my PS3, I changed my mind. Online PS3 games are mind blowing, and the system itself has kinda replaced my PC. I have a keyboard and mouse connected to it, I use it for browsing the web, downloading music and movies, to watch TV, I keep all my photos and whatnot stored on it- I love it simply for the fact that it's so versatile. I actually didn't buy a game with my PS3- I didn't get one until 2 weeks after having it. Funny thing is, I used it just as much before I even got a game, for listening to music, watching movies on Netflix, etc.
It's more than a game console- it's an entertainment system that does pretty much everything.

If only there were an 8 track player add on. :lol

I've had 2 fail on me. Paying that much for a product and having it fail a little after a year doesn't warrant another purchase from that company to me.

That's how I feel about the 360s lol
Although, I will admit I've never owned one. But I've hand handfuls of friends who've have their 360s red ring 2, 3, 4, one of them even had it happen 5 times.

Mine turned out way better... I still have my launch 60 GB

The game library for the type of games I like has expanded immensely. Now... we just need another good shooting on it like Ikaruga.

Thoughts? POST IT UP!

†B†V† :hat

Mine hasn't failed on me and it's been faithful for the last 2 1/2 or 3 years. I still love it and I've actually been playing most of my games on it lately. Especially since I bought an older PS1 game my Dad and I used to play allll the time. So, it's pretty awesome.

Zidart said:
I think at first I was skeptical about it... and honestly the only reason why It redeemed itself is because of the upgraded RPGS it received plus fighting games on it are free to play online... however I still don't like most first party titles and I still don't like Sony as a company but nowadays I seem to hate all the 3 big companies so it is alright

Hi.
that's interesting. Is it the big bucks corporation thing that bothers you with sony ?

I'm to the point now where I call my PS3 "The Dust Collector". Seriously, outside of the Uncharted series and maybe one or two other exclusives, I purchase games for my PS3 simply because I feel sorry for it. I have Skyrim in my PS3 right now, but its only in there because I was afraid that Skyrim's massive amount of data would choke my 360 to death. Even now since the semester has started back up, I barely touch it, and don't really plan on touching any games until Mass Effect 3 drops. Even when people ask me if I have a blue-ray player, I reply with "yea" and leave it at that. So as of now, the dust collector is doing what it does best....collecting dust.

Synoxis said:
I have Skyrim in my PS3 right now, but its only in there because I was afraid that Skyrim's massive amount of data would choke my 360 to death.

That's kind of ironic, since it actually has more trouble on the PS3 than the 360 due to the way it saves on a PS3. I have over 1500 Skyrim saves on my 360 and haven't had the lag issues that I know occur on the PS3 after you get to a certain point.

Mai Valentine said:
That's kind of ironic, since it actually has more trouble on the PS3 than the 360 due to the way it saves on a PS3. I have over 1500 Skyrim saves on my 360 and haven't had the lag issues that I know occur on the PS3 after you get to a certain point.

Like I said, it was fear that caused me to keep Skyrim from my 360. Good to know that the 360 can actually juggle a nice amount of data. I caught the ring of death twice. The first time I was playing Lost Odyssey, and the second time I was playing Mass Effect 1 (or that might even be the other way around). If I ever see that ring again, I think I'll vomit.

Mai,

I've heard both console versions are like that. Granted this is heresay... but I've heard the PC is the best way to play Skyrim.

A Co-worker is playing this on the PS3 and loves it. IDK... It sucks you don't like the PS3 though :) I'm mainly a PC gamer, but I have all 3 of the current systems and enjoy different gaming goodness on all 3 systems. I Guess I found the opposite... there are too many good games and not enough time.

WElcome to the forums :D we hope to see you and around! Feel free to post up in any topic!

BV :hat

Well it's a given that the PC version is best; if nothing else, there's a ton of awesome mods out there that only work with the PC version. :)

I also agree with too many games and not enough time, though.

The PS3 really turned out to be really solid in exclusive games and I think they already put the system on to its limits

I played 360 exclusively for years without touching a game on a ps3. I dusted off my ps3 when sony offered the free games for psn being down for so long just long enough to download free warez and say I tried. Then I built a new computer and forgot about playstation and microsoft totally. I'd really like to get behind playstation again (ps1 and ps2 fanboy here) but compared to other consoles I feel like sony's game library doesn't compare.

But yea, It didn't turn out as I thought at all. I adored it's two predecessors and feel like their libraries were far superior to their competetion (except for first party, Nintendo was, is, and always will be king), and I expected the ps3 to fare similarly, but it just didn't live up to my hopes.