Neo Geo CD Lound Sound on Neo Geo CD Load Up

Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts | 1+
just Check this Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqLSIwZ3uHU&feature=youtu.be

Is that Normal

Wow that is noisy. It would make me nervous. Mine does not make any kind of noise like that. Almost sounds like it might be hitting something. Defiantly not normal. But it would not stop me from playing, if everything loads like normal. It does seem a bit slower on load time(But then again I do not have that game to compare.). I do not know what the problem is with it, I have never taken one apart.

retro junkie said:
Wow that is noisy. It would make me nervous. Mine does not make any kind of noise like that. Almost sounds like it might be hitting something. Defiantly not normal. But it would not stop me from playing, if everything loads like normal. It does seem a bit slower on load time(But then again I do not have that game to compare.). I do not know what the problem is with it, I have never taken one apart.

Well once the Loading Screen Comes to Load up the Game. The Sounds goes away and Yeah I did feel that it was hitting something or something moving to Quickly

Might be one of those games that loads completely in ram. Have you tried a game that has to load each stage, like Last Blade or SS3 or SS4?

retro junkie said:
Might be one of those games that loads completely in ram. Have you tried a game that has to load each stage, like Last Blade or SS3 or SS4?

I have tried a few games and same thing happen and yes 1 was SS3

retro junkie said:
So these sounds are there at each stage when loading?

1:When I Turn it On.
2:When it loads up in the Bios Screen and comes up with Press Start'
3:When I press Start and goes to Loading Screen

after that it's Fine.

Asked on Pleasuredome and I got this Answer:

My guess is the laser head making the noise. Sounds like the servo laser head motor
is hitting the limit of the rail guide.This can happen if:
1. Laser is partially going bad by reading in corrupted sector address so that the
scan reaches the limit and hitting the end or start of the rail, due to bad firmware
not having a detection method to stop
2. some drives have a limit switch that is pressed by the laser head when it moves
to the start of the rail, this switch is used to detect the start limit, i.e. stop
the motor if switch is pressed

retro junkie said:
So.... with that information, something is going bad.

Yeah Something is not Right. But how bad is it?

Can Still Play Games and When Games is Running it makes no Funny Sounds

I know how old this hardware is. When I first got mine I felt I had to decide whether to be careful or play as much as I wanted. My attitude became play until it dies. I am going to have fun as long as it lasts.

retro junkie said:
I know how old this hardware is. When I first got mine I felt I had to decide whether to be careful or play as much as I wanted. My attitude became play until it dies. I am going to have fun as long as it lasts.

That seems a Good Attitude but I spent $270 on it and I want to get my Money's Worth.

I think I got an answer to my Problem:

Best image I could find on internet for inside of neo geo drive.
I've marked in red what I think is the limit switch.

On the other side the sled motor should have a cog and if limit switch is
not working then this
cog is slipping against the teeth of itself and the OPU rail teeth, which is
making the noise, because
it is trying to move past the spindle centre!

After a second or so the sled motor is stopped anyway because another sanity
check that looks for
track jump, sees no jump so it stops the sled motor.

Picture:

ngcdlaser2.png

Reactions: 1 users
I had a ps1 that had the same symptoms. The plastic gears that move the sled back and forth were extremely worn causing the sled to travel a bit further than it should. once the game starts playing it was fine but that loud noise at start up was unsettling. NEO cd may be better made but mechanical parts wear out, I'm sure your guy is on to something

targetrasp said:
I had a ps1 that had the same symptoms. The plastic gears that move the sled back and forth were extremely worn causing the sled to travel a bit further than it should. once the game starts playing it was fine but that loud noise at start up was unsettling. NEO cd may be better made but mechanical parts wear out, I'm sure your guy is on to something

Well I think you explained pretty much what happens with me. Does it make the Life of the Console goes down or does not make that much Difference.

Is there a way to fix it?

I'd have no idea where to get parts or if anyone sold em. With some of the more mainstream systems I remember being able to buy replacement gears from places like mcm electronics. I have a feeling a couple of beers and some time on google could net you a stronger answer!

targetrasp said:
I'd have no idea where to get parts or if anyone sold em. With some of the more mainstream systems I remember being able to buy replacement gears from places like mcm electronics. I have a feeling a couple of beers and some time on google could net you a stronger answer!

Then does the Problem have any effect on the Life Span of the Console?

$270!!!? :eek: They have really went up in price over the last few years. I have had mine for about 3 years, gave $80 for it. And mine was in the original box. Hope you get good service out of it even though you have that one problem. And I hope that one problem can be fixed.

Any favorite games yet out of what you have?

retro junkie said:
$270!!!? :eek: They have really went up in price over the last few years. I have had mine for about 3 years, gave $80 for it. And mine was in the original box. Hope you get good service out of it even though you have that one problem. And I hope that one problem can be fixed.

Any favorite games yet out of what you have?

Where did you get yours from? I got mine from E-Bay and I am from Australia.

I like Baseball Superstar 2 and Neo Turf Masters so Far

Got mine off of eBay and it was shipped from Japan. I'm in the US.

Last Blade 2, East of Eden, Samurai Spirits 2, and Last Resort are a few of my top games, most played.

nowloading_sig.gif

retro junkie said:
Got mine off of eBay and it was shipped from Japan. I'm in the US.

Last Blade 2, East of Eden, Samurai Spirits 2, and Last Resort are a few of my top games, most played.

nowloading_sig.gif

Guess then Prices have Sky Rocketed.

With the Loud Clicking would that Shorten the Life of it?

Using anything mechanical shortens the life of it, the loud clicking just tells you the end is nigh. It's kinda like smoking or eating crappy food, its bad, usually indicates something bad is on its way, but you really have no idea when.