PS3 hard drive space

Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts | 0+
I checked my system info to see how much free space I had left and it was way below what I thought I should have. So I went through all of my movies and game data and added up all the space I've used. I have about 37gb in movies, 20gb in games I bought from the online store, and no more than 10gb in saved game data for a total of 67gb. My system info tells me I have 34gb left out of 149 (160gb system). So I'm missing about 48gb and have no idea where it is. I didn't jailbreak my ps3 and I haven't installed any software or anything like that. I don't know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to that stuff so I don't bother with it.
So having said that, any help in retrieving my extra memory or at least letting me know where she's gone would be greatly appreciated!

Is part of the 160 gb lost while formatting? For example, I have a 300 gb main hard drive on my PC that had only 274 gb available after formatting. Some also might be set aside by the PS3 operating system.

If it is any consolation, swapping a laptop hard drive into a PS3 is not difficult, and might even speed up your system and game load times.

You could always get bigger hard drive for it. Mine filled up too, so I just went out and bought a way bigger one, and copied all my files to a usb stick and reinstalled em. I think I have a 500 gb hard drive now.

Ya I guess it could have been lost while formatting. I've been thinking about getting a bigger hard drive and if this happened a year ago I'd have no problem with that, but I've been hearing the new generation systems are coming out sometime in the next few months. Are these just optimistic guesses or has anybody actually committed to a date? I don't want to go out and get a hard drive and 2 or 3 months later out comes the ps4.

drtymitts said:
Ya I guess it could have been lost while formatting. I've been thinking about getting a bigger hard drive and if this happened a year ago I'd have no problem with that, but I've been hearing the new generation systems are coming out sometime in the next few months. Are these just optimistic guesses or has anybody actually committed to a date? I don't want to go out and get a hard drive and 2 or 3 months later out comes the ps4.

I doubt the PS4 will be out any time soon. Maybe holiday 2013 if they have it ready, but even that is not 100% guaranteed.