Halo discussion!

Joined Jun 2004
3K Posts | 0+
Indiana
So I have now beaten Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, and 4. I remember playing (and replaying) hours on Halo: Combat Evolved when my room mate got an Xbox; 4-player split-screen was awesome in that game.

I played the heck out of Halo 2 campaign as well. Sure, it lacked the magnum, but the variations in dual wielding and the addition of the energy sword made up for it. Being able to cloak and/or play as the Arbiter did not hurt either.

Bluevoodu, SpartanEvolved, MasterMario, and I set up two HDTVs and played four player co-op ODST in one sitting, start to finish on legendary difficulty. Good times were had with the ability to pull turrets off their mounts!

SpartanEvolved, MasterMario, and I tried to play through some of Halo 3 co-op a few years ago, but MM kept falling asleep. So it was not until now that I have finally beaten the campaign and finished the original trilogy. The Gravemind is creepier than ever. The deep, flood infested parts of High Charity remind me both of the classic NES game Life Force and a bit of the movie Aliens.

DeathMonkey and I finished Reach in October 2010. I think that Bungie nailed all of my expectations for that game. It was epic being able to go back and play the events that led to the, "fall of Reach," so often referenced in the franchise's dialog. I have never enjoyed a game so much when I knew the end of the game was utter defeat.

Halo 4 is a good attempt at a follow-up to Bungie's work with solid controls and gameplay. The overall storyline and new weapons did not exceed my expecations though. I do still need to log some Live play time with the game before writing it off as inferior though.

What're your Halo memories? Which game is or was your favorite?

I've played them all in length except for odsd and my favorite by far is halo 2. I bought 3 launch titles for the 360 and Halo 2 stayed in my shiney new system a year past the 360's launch. My friends all played the multiplayer and the game received heavy rotation past the 1 to 3 month period most other games lasted. It took the behemoth Call of Duty's multiplayer to draw attention away from halo 2 multiplayer. After that nothing was the same. Halo 3 and 4's multiplayer kept my attention for less than 2 months and never really did it for me.

As far as campaighn I could care less about any of them. FPS's are multiplayer only games as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to have to say the original is my favorite. It was the first time I ever played a first person shooter campaign, to be honest. I mean I'd played Perfect Dark and Goldeneye multiplayer, but never the single player. So Halo was really interesting for me, especially after reading the Fall of Reach first. And then the multiplayer beat out Perfect Dark because of being able to LAN (I'd never experienced that on PC so it was new and exciting). Joy and I actually bought a small tv for the sole purpose of being able to lug it around for LAN parties. We'd easily get close to 16 people and just have crazy fun doing all the maps.

I'm not fond of Halo 4's multiplayer, but I do like where 343 is going with the story.

LAN parties in general are great.

September141.jpg

Spartan Evolved, Master Mario, and Bluevoodu's knee doing some StarCraft II LAN gaming from a couple of years ago.

September140.jpg

Of course, later that night we switched over to some console gaming, first with the GameCube, then over to the 360.

Langaming026.jpg

Langaming038.jpg

The four of us finished Halo 3: ODST on Legendary in one sitting!

I saw Halo 3: ODST on clearance at Target, so picked it up last night. Since I had only played it through once (during a LAN as mentioned above) I recall parts of the game and gameplay, but not all of it.

I am really digging how it fills in an alternate storyline that bridges Halo 2 and Halo 3. The music is SO much better than the music in Halo 4. Without the ODST having an overshield, I find myself trying to take out a few grunts with headshots from the magnum before attacking any brutes whereas in other Halo games with Spartans, I would just rush into the fight.

Overall, the campaign has a different feel than Halo 3, but is awesome none the less. It is Halo, but a different version of Halo.

I really love ODST. I feel like it's kind of underrated for the series. The campaign had a very interesting style and the music was awesome. And of course, who can forget Firefight? I still think FF was the best from ODST.