Neo Geo CD When is the language switch checked?

Joined Jul 2005
6 Posts | 0+
How often / when is the hardware language setting checked on the NGCD?

I just installed a language switch on mine and it works fine, but the thing just sticks out like a sore thumb. The NGCD is such a well designed system (it's pretty :)) that it just seems wrong to have a big silver switch sticking off the back. However, all the low-profile black buttons I've found are momentary: they're only on or off when they're being pressed.

So ... what I'm hoping is that the status of the switch only matters once: when you turn the system on and the BIOS checks it. That way I could just hold the button down when I turn the system on to switch the language. When the control screen comes up, I could let go and go on to loading a game.

Does anyone know if that would work? I just thought of that and won't be around my system to check for a while so I thought I'd post here.

well...

I have seen both push button and switch mods.  I have not had a problem with either only working for  the instant in which the switch is switched or button is pushed.

Thats odd that the buttons worked out like you said.
I have never done the mods myself... so I cannot answer for certain.  Unfortunately, I am no help here. I wish Sai was still around to answer this Q :)

I do agree though.... the system is very nice looking :)  Even today it still looks great!

BV :hat

Ok, I did some testing last night and have some good news.

A momentary pushbutton works fine for this. I got one that's normally closed (open when you push it) so the system would default to English. If I'm playing something where the setting makes any sort of difference to me (SS & KOF96 are the only ones for now), I just hold the button when I turn the system on. About half way through the splash screen I can let go and use the system as normal. Everything will stay in Japanese after that.

And yes, the black button looks much nicer than the switch did. :)