Sega Dreamcast Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Joined Jun 2005
7K Posts | 0+
Louisburg, NC, USA
Okay today I found some extra cash (surprise here) in my wallet and managed to talk my wife into making a run to EB Games (sic), which was on our way to the grocery store. She hates my game collection, mind you, so I must talk her into anything game related. Anyways, i found this game. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. I dropped it in the Dreamcast when I got home and played the first few minutes of it. Cool game. Intro was good. Music was good. But what I really like about this game so far is it does something that so far no other game I have played does. You can hit the right trigger to automatically face your opponents. I wish Rygar did that!! It was worth every penny of the $5.99 that I shelled out. But EB Games, being that they attempted to railroad me into a warranty with my PS2 by saying it was junk, managed to live up to my dissapointing expectations. The sales guy didn't bother returning my club card. He swiped it. Took my cash. And just handed my reciept back. And I didn't notice untill I was already home. Oh well. I don't usually go there anyways. Oh, I also picked up Jaclkall for my NES for $2.
Are there any more fans of this game?? Any hints you all might have??

I bought Soul Reaver for the PS1 awhile back from Gamestop. Great game, I just wish there was a map. It would help a lot.

Yeah true. When I was playing, I couldn't figure out how to exit through the gates. Then afterwards I read the instructions and it said I had to dematerialize to walk through it. At the time I couldn't remember how to do that. But so far it's a great game!! :D

Bman409 said:
What is this game all about anyways?

You're an old vampire named Raziel (my avatar). He was dropped into this big lake that is harmful to vampires. He was thrown in by Kain the "king" of the vampires. Years pass and you seek revenge.

It's a cool game, Bman. If you have a Dreamcast, then I suggest getting it. To me it has a dark FFX meets Rygar kind of feel. I heard through the grape vine that either Sega or Crystal Dynamics is making an updated version for the Xbox.

Yeah I got a Dreamcast but haven't turned it on in ages! Im going to finish some other games that I've started before I move on to the next so it's going to have to wait a sec. :lol

Then I say buy the game, and let it chill in your collection untill you're ready to play. Cuz the longer you wait, the harder it will be to find Dreamcast games. At least locally It's tough.

*Bringing back from the dead! :lol*

I have it on the PS1 and this game is amazing. Very well done IMO. :)

The Kain series is pretty good, but don't get the original Blood Omen thinking that it's like the others. It's a top down, 2D action/RPG with long load times between screens. Good story and worth checking out but younger gamers might not have the patience for it. My favorite of the series was Blood Omen 2, which is a direct sequel to the original where you get to play as Kain again. The final LoK installment, Defiance, lets you play as both characters, but didn't really wrap up the story as much as I would have liked.

Good pick on Jackal BTW, one of my favorite arcade and NES games ever.
smileythumbsup.gif