Neo Geo CD ngcd vs genesis

Joined Oct 2005
1K Posts | 1+
Washington
well,i placed my neo geo side by side with genesis.the neo was running samurai shodown 2,the genesis was running street fighter 2.....i assume you can guess the winner by knock out,dim mak,and/or decapitation.the neo wins by leaps and bounds :)

:lol :lol awww man.... there is no competition at all :D

I don't think ANY other console version of Samurai Shodown came close.  I mean, people say the 3DO version is close.... but nothing beats a Neo Geo.... it really is one of the best systems ever made.  AND it looks REALLY slick via S-video to boot.... you don't get that with a Genesis, Super Nintendo, etc. 

well.. you can get it a little bit with the Super Nintendo.... they actually made Nintendo brand S-video cables for the Super Nintendo (hard to find, and I got one).  I used it for the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube as well (same cable works all 3 systems).  You don't notice much of a difference on the Snes...  the N64 I thought it made worse on a few games, and the Gamecube look AWESOME with S-video.... I mean night and day difference (but not as drastic of a difference as the Neo CD's A/V Version S-Video).... but still noticeable.

†B†V† :hat

yeah,i played my ncgd with av cables,and then with the s-video.....the s-video was so much clearer.it really improves the whole experience!

yes the SS 1 on 3DO is probably the best adaptation (with the Saturn version)

big_monkey20 said:
Heh I would hope Neo CD wins against Genesis, I'd be one sad puppy if it hadn't. :p

:lol yeah.... the Neo CD would toast the Genesis... :)

†B†V† :hat

I have a Neo CD and Genesis as well. Neo CD toasts the Genesis in all arcade style games of corse! But the Genesis does have some nice games on it and beats SNK out in the platformer genra for sure. What would we do without Sonic, Earthworm Jim, Kid Chamelion, Snatcher, Gauntlet IV (4 player) etc? I think the Samurai Shodown for Sega CD could be way better though. Sega CD can do sprite scaling and there is no reason they could not have Earthquake or camera zooming in that game. Just look at Soul Star's use of sprite scaling. Takara is just a terrible developer ;-) Not many developers ever did the Sega CD much justice. And don't even get me started about the 32X.

Megadrive vs. NGCD? That's not even a fair contest. Technically they're worlds apart.

And there's only one game on the Megadrive worth owning anyway... Rolling Thunder 2. That's it. For almost everything else you're better off with a SNES. Now that'd be interesting... SNES vs NGCD... I think the SNES would actually win that one, that was an amazing bit of kit. Maybe not fighters but platform games, shooters, RPGs... Much like the difference between say Cyber Lip and Metal Slug what people like Konami and Capcom were doing with the hardware towards the end of the SNES's life was nothing short of staggering. Even Art of Fighting 2 ran on the bloody thing!

Funny thing is the Neo CD can display more colors on screen than Genesis, TG 16, and SNES combined! ;D

rossdh said:
Funny thing is the Neo CD can display more colors on screen than Genesis, TG 16, and SNES combined!  ;D

:lol I never really thought about it that way :)

I was surprised that *BESIDES* the Neo Geo, the Turbo Grafx 16 has the abiliity for the most colors displayed on screen.

BV :hat

And the TG16 was 8bit... How impressive is that.

well actually the TG16 can display more colors(512) on screen at once than the Super Nintendo(256)

http://www.zeograd.com/creation_download.php

Genesis: 64 colors
SNES: 256 colors
TG16: 512 colors
Neo Geo: 4,096

The PCE had an entire palette of 512 colours (whereas the SNES could call upon thousands), and could only use 256 at any one time for sprites. This is most evident on the 2 versions of Street Fighter 2. The difference a decent palette makes is obvious.

Yes, definately a limitation. 256 for backgrounds and 256 for sprites. Still Kicks Genesis/SNES butt though ;-)

Agreed. I do prefer the PCE, even if it is technically inferior. But then, the arcade card... I seem to remember FFSpecial being a bit, well, special.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ma-49-en-70-rbe.html

That does look nice.

fatalfury1.gif
fatalfury9.gif

fatalfury3.gif

Yep, she's pretty...

despite how much I like the genesis, from what ive seen the neo geo cd games do look alot better and almost just like their arcade counterparts.