Neo Geo CD Stereophonic sound

Joined Jan 2006
15 Posts | 0+
Sweden
Hello!
I'm in Europe using a Japanes NCD, and perfect video is appealing to me. I was reading up on the whole AV-out/RGB-scart thing, and I noticed that I will probably get monophonic sound when using an RGB cable.

I think it seems possible to remove the mono-wire in the RGB cable, and just use another cable from the L/R sound output to TV. What do you guys think? On the NGH, this problem is solved by an extra 3,5mm plug between the earphone jack and TV. But the NCD has no such jack.

drombat

Can you use the Red / White / Yellow (Video) OR S-Video outs?

Honestly, I am not 100% sure on the whole RGB deal.... are you talking about a modification? OR an 3rd party device like the X-neo1?

†B†V† :hat

Hey,

I have tried those video outputs, but they only display grayscale on my biggest and best TV. That same TV accepts RGB-scart, so I'm going for it. I found an english gameshop who sold me an RGB-cable to be put in the AV-port on the NeoCD and be connected to the TV's scart. The AV-port apparently outputs true RGB as opposed to composite signals. So I'm thinking it will work fine.

Sound however, is a different thing. I will try to cut the mono wire and use the L/R-signals. If someone is interrested, I can post the results when I've tested it.

drombat

I am definitely interested.... I am not sure if it will work...     But I am definitely interested if you can get it to work :)

IF it does work, would you like to make a mod guide for this site on that?

I know it depends on the system, but it will also depend on the cable as well... depending where it switchs analog to stereo. The cable was made for the mono neo CD connection.. will it work in stereo as well?

Bv :hat

OK, so I recieved my RGB cable, and guess what.. It was incorrectly soldered so that the "GROUND" was connected to where the "SOUND L" should be, and vice versa. That screwed the picture up something bad. Cursed be those who sell crappy things for high prices.

Anyway, I put my soldering iron to work, placing the wires correctly, and now I have super crisp 28" picture. I soldered the sound wires so that both speakers on the TV recieve the mono signal. Not quite stereophonic, but pretty nice.

I'm currently not in the mood to experiment with cutting cables and such, because it was pretty hard work to solder stuff to the scart plug.

drombat