Neo Geo CD Advice on burning "back ups"

Joined Jun 2006
30 Posts | 0+
King's Lynn, England (where the history comes from
I've seen a lot of discussion about burning NGCD isos in other forums and nobody seems to want to help anybody understand how to do it. I'm gonna tell you why.

The process' purpose is to "back up" the games you already own, not so you get 'em for free. It's not because coders and people "that know" are b*****ds (well, maybe some of 'em), it's because playing these games is ultimately unrewarding and leaves you feeling a bit empty.

There's nothing like the feeling you get from hunting down a particular game, handing over your hard earned money, getting it home, flicking through the manual while it loads... All the effort you put in seems worth it as soon as you see the title screen. And that feeling you can't get from stealing games.

I have to be honest I don't know how to do it.

I thought you could do a lot of them by just burning cd to cd.

Yeah... I have been thinking of burning backups of my originals and then playing the backups... at least games that I own such as Pulstar..etc.

Bv :hat

Almost all Neo Geo CDs lack copy protection. You could either make a direct backup or do a cue file type image. Copies are never as good as the original due to the fact the original is pressed from a master and the copies are burned. This can cause more frequent read errors or slower load times. ALWAYS back up your original at the slowest speed possible if you want it to turn out good. The slower speed reduces errors made by your computer's cdr drive.

rossdh said:
Almost all Neo Geo CDs lack copy protection. You could either make a direct backup or do a cue file type image. Copies are never as good as the original due to the fact the original is pressed from a master and the copies are burned. This can cause more frequent read errors or slower load times. ALWAYS back up your original at the slowest speed possible if you want it to turn out good. The slower speed reduces errors made by your computer's cdr drive.
That... and I don't think the CDZ can play backups.

THERE HAS been talk that back-ups can ruin your system... but I don't know if there is validity to that or not.

BV :hat

Well it's possible it could wear out the laser assembly faster as it has to work more to read the burned disks. Other than that there is no difference.

rossdh said:
Well it's possible it could wear out the laser assembly faster as it has to work more to read the burned disks. Other than that there is no difference.

Correct... it is from the laser assembly working more. I don't know why... but I thought there was another reason. I can't recall it right now .. :-\

†B†V† :hat

I wouldn't worry about it messing up your system too much... You'd have to give your NGCD some real abuse to do any real damage.
And yeah, you can just copy the games, I did all of mine at 24x and no problems so far.
No, the CDZ won't play most of them.

I imagine back ups are not so bad. The pirated stuff on the web has mp3 audio tracks which really don't sound good converted back to wave ;-)

Yeah, the sound quality does suffer. At least it did when I did it, maybe it was the software I was using... Was a long time ago.

I had a few backups someone threw in to a NGCD system I bought a while back, and they worked fine. So sound issues, etc. It was a JP toploader if that matters.

Although it is easy to burn roms my point was that the reason people shouldn't is because it ruins the overall experience imo.

Anywho, it is easy:

Find the rom complete with mp3 files.
Convert the mp3's into wav files.
Save the whole thing as an iso file.
Burn baby burn.

If you save it as an iso with mp3's it will burn as an audio CD.

But I still say don't do it. Especially as the originals cost peanuts. ;)