Neo Geo CD Metal Slug is Unoriginal.....

Joined Aug 2006
1K Posts | 0+
Gualeguay, Entre Rios, Argentina
Pretty funny. Today I was checking out Gunforce 2 which was made by Irem in 1994. Instantly I noticed the music was very familiar. Then I noticed the sound effects! These are almost identical to the Metal Slug sounds! Rescuing female hostages, driveable vehicles, and battle assessment just like Metal Slug. Maybe it's the same development team, but its pretty funny to know all the metal slug stuff was lifted from this game.

Gunforce 2? Which system was that on? I should know this, but I Am drawing a blank.

†B†V† :hat

Gunforce 2 is an arcade game by Irem. It was out in 1994. The only way you can try it is by emulation or ebaying to find the PCB.

BTW, just because you are the moderator does not mean you have to know about every game and what system it was on :)

Wow, that is quite similar.

It would make sense, as many of the Neo Geo games were copies of popular games of the time. (Street Fighter or Final Fight type games definately come to mind).

cdoty said:
Wow, that is quite similar.

It would make sense, as many of the Neo Geo games were copies of popular games of the time. (Street Fighter or Final Fight type games definitely come to mind).

Well I have never played gunforce 2 but alot of characters and ideas were stolen like he said. Well look at Zangief in the street fighter series, capcom put pants on him and created Haggar for final fight series. Then in turn Sega made those pants into short and created Max Hatchett for the streets of rage series. When you look at all three characters they all are hulking men, who do Piledrivers and Spinning Lariats it's just that they are in diffrent games.

I read up on this and one thing I couldn't understand, which came first, and who was based on who? It seemed like they just came out at the same time, and they fans kinda just "said" that metal slug was a rip-off.

lesley said:
I read up on this and one thing I couldn't understand, which came first, and who was based on who? It seemed like they just came out at the same time, and they fans kinda just "said" that metal slug was a rip-off.

Metal slug came out many years later. Some of the same team made Metal slug and just reused content.