Neo Geo CD My Annoying CDZ-Fixed (maybe?)

Joined Oct 2006
204 Posts | 0+
Gainesville, FL
My CDZ has this annoying problem where it won't play two of my disks that are higher megs. I think I have narrowed down the problem to either dust (doubtful) or lazer alignment. Whenever I take a knife or a q-tip, and adjust the lazer so it sits higher and more centered, the disks will play. Just thought I would share.

lesley said:
My CDZ has this annoying problem where it won't play two of my disks that are higher megs. I think I have narrowed down the problem to either dust (doubtful) or lazer alignment. Whenever I take a knife or a q-tip, and adjust the lazer so it sits higher and more centered, the disks will play. Just thought I would share.

Excellent news

I am going to keep this thread updated because I know it will help someone out who has these problems. I am beginning to think that the problem is not the lazer afterall. I have narrowed it down to being possibly one of two things. The heat in the system itself, or dust. Adjusting the lazer today did nothing. This time I used a q-tip to clean the system with isopropyl alchohol, and then took a hair dryer on cool and held it to the inside of the system letting it blow directly inside. This allowed KOF 98 to boot up.

I think it might be the heat due to one thing that happened today that has not happened yet, after awhile of playing KOF 98, I got a disk i/0 error.

Its possible that since I am using a japanese power supply in an American socket that the system is generating too much heat. A step-down might help, but where do I get a step-down?

lesley said:
Its possible that since I am using a japanese power supply in an American socket that the system is generating too much heat. A step-down might help, but where do I get a step-down?

You would see the heat at the transformer end that's plugged into the wall. Once it comes out of the transformer it's at the correct voltage, and doesn't need to be converted. And, the system will only draw the amperage that it needs.