SNK vs Capcom

Joined Sep 2004
51 Posts | 0+
Some call it unfinished, while others say the game is nothing more than a waste of time. Question: do any of you actually like SVC for Neo-Geo?

SVC isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but the game oozes with old-school personality.

Come on, face it -- despite the hit-detection issue, SVC is still very enjoyable.  Some of the in-game backgrounds lack inspiration (sans a few), but the overall package really isn't bad.

Love it or loathe it, nothing beats having Capcom characters like Dimitri and Zero on the Neo-Geo system. :D

Post your opinions! I'm looking to have a decent conversation about this game. :)

Represent!  ::D

Honestly, I haven't played it long enough to give a good opinion on it...

but my initial comment is ... its ok :) It didn't bother me as much as Rage of the Dragons.

There are a good amount of characters to choose from. The graphics aren't too bad..

What I think is funny is that people were dying to get this game..... then when they get it they complain about it.

†B†V† :hat

I really enjoy this game. I am not sure it is worth $300+ dollars, but it is one of the better games for the Neo. The reason I like SS2 above any fighting game out there is that it is equally hard for each character. I hated Matrimelee because all the characters were extremely easy until you got to the final boss, who was unbeatable...practically.

As far as difficultly goes, SVC is fairly balanced. It has its flaws, but I think it is one of the better fighters for the Neo.

However, I would pick SS2 or the Last Blade over SVC anyday.

svc chaos, didn't like. thought it was nothing compared to cvs2 personally. although there were some interesting characters, i just didn't quite like the feel or flow of it

Is the Neo version of SVC the identical game that came out for the PSX and Dreamcast?

I thought it was a bit different... maybe I am wrong.

Bluevoodu said:
Is the Neo version of SVC the identical game that came out for the PSX and Dreamcast?

I thought it was a bit different... maybe I am wrong.

Nope! Capcom vs SNK was a team-based game like KOF, while SVC is more of your standard one-on-one fair.

I really like SVC: Chaos, but I cannot afford it. The Neo is just the best system evar, but the games are unbearably expensive. So, I am still playing SSII.:)

winter said:
I really like SVC: Chaos, but I cannot afford it. The Neo is just the best system evar, but the games are unbearably expensive. So, I am still playing SSII.:)

There is no shame in playing Samurai Shodown II! I still play it whenever the chance arises, sometimes before SVC. :D

Keep your eyes peeled for falling prices on AES carts in the coming months -- I bet if you look hard enough, you might find a decently priced copy of SVC. I have seen used copies of this game sell for less than $250 in most cases.

Bluevoodu said:
are pricing falling again?

BV: hat

Well, yes -- and to validate my claim, here is a current auction on Ebay with a very attractive BIN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8143415630&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I would, but I am going to go for The Last Blade and Samurai Showdown first. I am trying to collect all The Last Blade games and all the Samurai Shodown games including 5 and special.

is this game really good though?

I have heard people saying "stay away from it."

Are they wrong.. or whats good about it?

Im a little late to this thread....but still..man SvC is an amazing game imho. Its such a vast improvement over the Capcom vs SNK series. SvC is much more old school in feel and play style. I'd take it any day over any Capcom game honestly. The graphics are very well done, and not just rehashed sprites from older titles, and the different cnacel moves, guard crush, and Excel moves really add alot to the play style. I have the Xbox port, but I plan on getting the AES very soon, as I should be getting an AES system in the very near future.

i'm well late for this but heres my 2 penneth, i got SvC Chaos from the neo store on day of release and two weeks later i was selling it on ebay, it was nowhere near as good as Capcom vs Snk 1 and 2 on Dreamcast, just glad i was able to sell it for almost what i paid for it. Not a bad game by any means just not in the same league as Capcom vs Snk.

I love this game (no, not NBA, I mean SVC!)

Yes, it could have been better: the backgrounds are a bit unfinished and empty, and I think the lineup could have been better... hell, in the Capcom roster there are 6 almost identical characters (Ryu, Ken, Dan, Akuma, Shin Akuma and Violent Ken), they could have swapped at least 3 of them (let's say Shin Akuma, Violent Ken and Dan) for more characterful and diverse characters (such as Zangief, E.Honda, Blanka)...

Anyway, I actually like the gameplay which is the most important thing, I suppose... and seeing Geese face M.Bison (or Vega if you prefer the jap name) is something I dreamt since I was 10... :) :) :)

It's alright could be more balenced and have more intense battles as is it's too fast paced. Too much pressure too if you lose to a boss it's game over.

I loved it, but you can tell how unfinished it is with animation issues and characters not making contact when they strike from time to time....Hugo looks really watered down when compared to SF3

Yet I really liked this game, but CVS2 is much more balanced imho. Still though, it's pretty solid

NeoLord said:
Some call it unfinished, while others say the game is nothing more than a waste of time. Question: do any of you actually like SVC for Neo-Geo?

SVC isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but the game oozes with old-school personality.

Come on, face it -- despite the hit-detection issue, SVC is still very enjoyable.  Some of the in-game backgrounds lack inspiration (sans a few), but the overall package really isn't bad.

Love it or loathe it, nothing beats having Capcom characters like Dimitri and Zero on the Neo-Geo system. :D

Post your opinions! I'm looking to have a decent conversation about this game. :)

Represent!  ::D

I actually enjoy this game very much. I used to have it ont he Xbox, but soon will own the original! I really like the old school feel and how the characters are drawn. The play mechanics are, well, something to be desired, but other than that I like it!

GAMEFAN

I was one of the pre-order people when it was released on homecart. I sold it after a few months due to boredom and I needed money, but I recently purchased another copy of the game and am having much more fun with it this time around. Great character selection. Some people didn't like the selections because there were too many 'shotos' or fireballers, whatever you want to call them. Good for me though because I like those the best. It's really great if you have your NEO modded with the unibios because that unlocks 10 secret characters with no work, just simply turning on your NEO unlocks the characters..that's easy and great.

This game was absolutely despised by the Capcom fans, and from what I've seen the only people to really give it a fair shake are the SNK fanbase, and even they are sharply divided. Yeah it's not tournament worthy due to the shaky collision detection and some easy infinites, but it's a load of fun for casual play. That's what really bothers me about the fanatical fighting game scene, if a game isn't deemed tourny worthy within 1 day of release, they just totally write it off.