Neo Geo CD Don't get an AES, buy a Neogeo CD (originally posted by Winter)

Joined May 2004
13K Posts | 1+
Indiana
In the neogeocd.net topic here by Winter:
http://www.egameaddicts.com/forum/index.php?topic=480.0

I have had an AES for awhile now, and I don't have any plans on selling it, but I highly recommend the NGCD system more.

The AES is just too expensive and it is not that different. I mean, how many times can a person play matrimelee to really make it worth $180?

All the older titles are the best. Puzzled, Magical Drop 2, Ghost Pilots, Sengoku, etc.

Definitely, definitely, save yourself tons of cash and go with a CD system.

Post up your opinions :)

†B†V† :hat

Bluevoodu said:
In the neogeocd.net topic here by Winter:
http://www.egameaddicts.com/forum/index.php?topic=480.0

Post up your opinions :)

It really depends on the person really. I also enjoy the newer titles, so it wouldn't make sense to adopt the Neo CD as my main gaming system

I'll say this to those people still deciding: purchase the Neo-Geo CD if you are looking to enjoy older Neo-Geo games. Of course, when I say old, I mean games ranging from Magician Lord to KOF '99. In-house development for the system dwindled away in 1999, so the chances of there ever being new, official titles for the system is close to nil.

It's still worth a purchase, however! Save your money and buy CD if you must!

Well, I've had an AES and an MVS. I sold them both, but I still own my Neo CD system.

I guess that says it all right there really for me. I prefer playing games on my TV as opposed to the MVS where I got tired of the small moniter after a while, and eventually maintanence came into play with my MVS..and I didn't care for that heh.

Overall for me it comes down to price, I just don't have the kind of money to spend $200++ on a game that I will only play occasionly when friends are over, because lets face the facts here..beat-em ups, fighters and even to an extent shooters, are not alot of fun single player.

There was a time when I felt differently about the whole situation, but maybe I'm just growing up or something...MVS is definately the cheapest route for newer games, but the big ugly arcade machine in your house tends to displease the wife lol.

If your like me, and you like the older Neo games best..then Neo CD is the way to go for sure. Don't let the load times or rumors of animation cuts (which to this day I swear I cannot notice at all) scare you away from a great system.

The only game I would say is really noticeable (at least to the majority of people playing the Neo CD) is ARt of Fighting 3.

BUT while you are playing it (and you have not played the AES version) its not noticeable.

Even after you play the AES version, the CD version really does grow on you... and IMO I think its a great game.

i still got an AES but since owning a cd system my AES cart collection has reduced from 18 carts now down to 6 but my cd collection continues to grow. At least i can afford neo cd's on a regular basis. As for the differences between the games i can't say i've noticed any missing frames or smaller sprite sizes but then i not got the best eyesight in the world. :)

I have noticed smaller sprites, but no missing animation frames. I have long awaited someone to point out a specific frame of animation cut from any game..but I've never seen it.

But yes it does seem that Art of Fighting 3 does have slightly smaller sprites than the AES/MVS version. But the only way I ever noticed that was to play my MVS cart, and then jump right to the CD version for comparison.

If you can notice it at all you have an amazing attention to detail in my honest opinion.

I've recently purchased my second AES system (I owned my first around 94/95 and sold it cuz I was a poor teen without ca$h for the uber expensive games).

While I love my new AES, I still have to say that unless you are really into either (A) collecting, or (B) the newest SNKP games...then go with the CD system, you will not be disappointed.

The sound alone on Neo CD makes it worth owning, and even if I end up owning AES carts of all my CD games, I don't forsee myself ever giving up the CD system as well. They are both worth owning for their own reasons really.

BUT if you want the newer games, and still love the older games as well, heck get both CD and AES, and buy the oldies for cheap on the CD system, and buy the newbies for more on AES...best of both worlds ya know....just a thought :D