Xbox Drives

Joined Oct 2006
204 Posts | 0+
Gainesville, FL
Thought you guys might want to read this: http://www.xbreporter.com/xboxdvddrivecomparison.php

I have had both the Samsung and Philips drive, and the Philips actually performed better {less disc read errors, quieter, read more media}. Those Thomson drives were pure garbage, though!

:lol OMG, my days of working in an electronics store gave me the insight I was going to say "Why would you get a Thomson Drive?" Figures they're crap. lol

Hell Scyth said:
:lol OMG, my days of working in an electronics store gave me the insight I was going to say "Why would you get a Thomson Drive?" Figures they're crap. lol

Hahaha, yeah, most Thomson drives didn't even last a year! If it did last longer, you were just extremely lucky :lol

I think the Halo edition Xbox has the Philips drive, looking at that. But now I want to double check. I know it's not a Samsung drive, though.

Mai Valentine said:
I think the Halo edition Xbox has the Philips drive, looking at that. But now I want to double check. I know it's not a Samsung drive, though.

I am pretty sure it's a Philips, as well. My buddy has one and it runs great.

Hm, I reckon the Samsung is better. That make good drives for many different things these days, not that I'm saying Phillips isn't good, because they've brought out their share of fine technology too. But Samsungs seem to last a very long time.

I have a Thomson drive in my Xbox and it still works just fine. >.> It was one of the first shipments of consoles as well.

i had a Thomson and used it for a year before it started giving me errors. I sold it and got a phillips

Back in the day, the pie chart was like this:

Thompson- $20 drive
Samsung= $50-60 drive
Phillips= $40 drive