Building a gaming computer.

Status
Closed
CreepinDeth said:
Depends on the bank. It's possible that they won't give you one until you turn a certain age, but nearly all of the big banks give you a check card. It's not a credit card, but can be used as one.
May be I'm not old enough, may be my parents restrictions. I don't know. But I don't have one. :( I guess I'll try the amazon gift card thing.

Okay, so a friend suggested a build with parts from Newegg. Turns out, I'm probably going to have to buy off amazon. =/

Anyway, here are the parts he suggested. I'm on a budget of roughly $700. I think the total for all this is $713. *Note, I'm only including cost of the tower in the $700*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103656

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.392073

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204&cm_re=dvd_rw-_-27-135-204-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161297&cm_re=ati-_-14-161-297-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754&cm_re=windows_7-_-32-116-754-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119229

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103847

If I were to buy a similar build off amazon, what would I need and how much more/less will it cost me?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Think I'm going to go with a Cooler Master Storm Scout case- I have no idea about any of the other parts though. =/

ThravRande said:
Anyway, here are the parts he suggested. I'm on a budget of roughly $700. I think the total for all this is $713. *Note, I'm only including cost of the tower in the $700*

Is that including shipping?

CreepinDeth said:
Is that including shipping?
If it can. If not... I'll figure something out. I want to keep the price reasonable though, I can't build a high class PC because of financial issues atm, but I would like a nice middle class gaming PC.

ThravRande said:
If it can. If not... I'll figure something out. I want to keep the price reasonable though, I can't build a high class PC because of financial issues atm, but I would like a nice middle class gaming PC.

What I meant was the $713 total of this build include shipping? I noticed the case has a $19 shipping fee alone. Just wondering if you took that into account.

I also noticed that you have an OEM build of Windows 7. Are you comfortable providing your own PC maintenance and troubleshooting? You can not call MS for help if you have an OEM build installed. Just in case you're not aware.

Looks like a pretty darn good build to me! Really can't see anything I'd change about it. I think you could get away with a cheaper case, but that's really a preference thing. I mean, you're the one who has to look at the case all day, so get the one you like. I always go with OEM software since I'd never call for tech help anyways, but like creepin' said, if you're not sure, you might wanna get retail.

Honestly, I would say the case is the third most important component in a gaming rig, next to the CPU and Video Card. An efficient case with proper ventilation and exhaust is pretty important when running hot components.

So don't skimp out on the case if you can.

Oh and don't skimp out on the Power Supply either.

Newegg also has package deals that provide pretty substantial savings. For example, most motherboards can be in combo deals with cases or power supplies and will be cheaper to buy in a combo.

Another idea is to start with a pretty basic computer and upgrade parts later.

I started with a Dell Vostro 200 business computer, which was $416 shipped for the tower with a standard power supply, core 2 duo, 2 Gb of RAM, a DVDRW drive and a 7200 rpm hard drive.

I bought an nVidia 8600gt graphics card the same week for cheap ($50 or so).

So, for under $500, I had a decent computer.

I then spent $90 for an upgrade to a 630 Watt power supply and $80 for an upgraded soundcard. So for $636, I had a computer that was decent and getting better.

I got a Zalman CPU cooler, the 8800GT graphics card, and Velociraptor hard drive later still, maybe 7 months after having the computer; and overclocked the CPU by 25%. After just shy of a year, I had built up a fairly bland business class computer into a very nice gaming machine.

I think the last upgrades I did were PCI slot covers, PCI vent panels, the Thermalright high-rise heatsink for the back of my graphics card, and replacing the stock RAM with 4 Gb of PNY DDR2 800 low latency RAM. After all of that, old 8600GT graphics card found a home in a friend's computer, so I got a little value back on that piece.

It's somthing to think about. If you start with an okay computer, you can definitely swap out parts later to increase performance.

CreepinDeth said:
Honestly, I would say the case is the third most important component in a gaming rig, next to the CPU and Video Card. An efficient case with proper ventilation and exhaust is pretty important when running hot components.

Heh, I have a cheap case, but upgraded the fans and heatsinks to compensate. :D There are definitely better fans, either more quiet, more powerful, or fans that balance quiet and airflow better than the ones that most companies shove in the cases as stock. My case came with a 92mm Sunon exhaust fan and a power supply with an 80mm exhaust. I upgraded the 92mm to a SilenX fan and got a power supply with a 120mm fan to help move more air through the case.

CreepinDeth said:

Yea definitely go with the best power supply possible. In my eyes, it is the most important thing in your computer. And good point on the case. A big front and rear fan are must haves in a case.

Grindspine said:
Heh, I have a cheap case, but upgraded the fans and heatsinks to compensate. :D There are definitely better fans, either more quiet, more powerful, or fans that balance quiet and airflow better than the ones that most companies shove in the cases as stock. My case came with a 92mm Sunon exhaust fan and a power supply with an 80mm exhaust. I upgraded the 92mm to a SilenX fan and got a power supply with a 120mm fan to help move more air through the case.

True, but some cases just aren't built to properly vent a lot of airflow through their chasis. Some cases just suck and can have bad vibrations as well which could hurt the Hard Drive in the long run. But yeah, as long as it can provide decent airflow and is just overall solid then it shouldn't be a problem to have a "cheap" case.

Oh and also expansion ports. Most cheap cases don't allow for much expansion since they're built for simple builds.

CreepinDeth said:
What I meant was the $713 total of this build include shipping? I noticed the case has a $19 shipping fee alone. Just wondering if you took that into account.

I also noticed that you have an OEM build of Windows 7. Are you comfortable providing your own PC maintenance and troubleshooting? You can not call MS for help if you have an OEM build installed. Just in case you're not aware.
I think shipping was calculated in as if I were buying it all at once with combined thipping.
And I don't understand the OEM thing. That's just what Phoenix suggested. =/

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

OEM builds of Windows 7 are the builds that you get when you buy a Dell or HP computer. These builds are not really meant for consumers. The reason for this is because the manufacturers like Dell and HP are supposed to supply their own customer service for any issues with the computer. It's also the reason why these builds are cheaper.

That's why, if you build a PC with one of these builds, you're supposed to supply your own customer service. Which is why it's best to only get an OEM if you are comfortable at troubleshooting and fixing your own computer, because MS won't help you. You're technically your own Manufacturer.

Hope that clears it up.

CreepinDeth said:
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

OEM builds of Windows 7 are the builds that you get when you buy a Dell or HP computer. These builds are not really meant for consumers. The reason for this is because the manufacturers like Dell and HP are supposed to supply their own customer service for any issues with the computer. It's also the reason why these builds are cheaper.

That's why, if you build a PC with one of these builds, you're supposed to supply your own customer service. Which is why it's best to only get an OEM if you are comfortable at troubleshooting and fixing your own computer, because MS won't help you. You're technically your own Manufacturer.

Hope that clears it up.
How much is retail?

CreepinDeth said:
Between $175 and $210 for Home Premium. A lot higher for the Professional and Ultimate versions.
I think I'll stick with OEM. I don't like MS customer service anyway. :p

ThravRande said:
I think I'll stick with OEM. I don't like MS customer service anyway. :p

Sounds good and you should definitely check out these parts on Amazon and compare the prices. I'm fairly positive most of these will include free shipping and possibly no sales tax. That should save you a bit. I'll check for parts myself for you when I get a chance.

CreepinDeth said:
Sounds good and you should definitely check out these parts on Amazon and compare the prices. I'm fairly positive most of these will include free shipping and possibly no sales tax. That should save you a bit. I'll check for parts myself for you when I get a chance.
I will next time I have access to a computer.
And thanks. I don't really know what I'm looking for, so it's good to have you guys to back me up. :D

ThravRande said:
I will next time I have access to a computer.
And thanks. I don't really know what I'm looking for, so it's good to have you guys to back me up. :D

No problem. If there is one thing I enjoy as much as video games, it's building PC's. I almost went towards an IT career but video games won that battle.

CreepinDeth said:
No problem. If there is one thing I enjoy as much as video games, it's building PC's. I almost went towards an IT career but video games won that battle.

Ditto! Ever since I built my first one I have been hooked. I love browsing Hardforum and checking out all the custom builds. And just think Thrav, if you go through with this, someday YOU will be giving PC building advice to somebody :)

Edit: Here's another site for checking out custom builds and case mod's. Awesome stuff on there. http://www.overclock.net/

Status
Closed