Who has dusted off the NES, SNES lately?

I had my NES games out yesterday. I know nothing about game programming. (Did a little basic in my Commodore 64 years, but nothing to talk about) I was playing NES shooters. I have trouble understanding why some games can be so diverse in its playabliity. Gradius seems to play too fast for me. Parodius just boggs down and is so sluggish at points. Then there is Summer Carnival - Recca, plays great and is very enjoyable. And so is Crisis Force, plays great, no problem. I know having a lot of sprites on the screen can bogg the game down, but Gradius and Parodius are basically the same game. I know I am playing on a clone NES. Maybe that’s it. I need an actual NES. Not sure that's it, bad programming?

And I forgot about Gun Nac which has loads of sprites on screen and is a complete dream to play. (Playing it now during this added posting)

Parodius must be famicon or I must have missed it! I maybe seem to remember it in the arcade but even googling it didn't bring back much.

the Nintendo didn't have much and by the late 80's they were pushing the hardware to its max. The legend of Zelda was the first time I noticed it on a Nintendo. if there were more than a few enemies on the screen links sword swinging / shooting got sluggish.

I bet some small tweaks to music and / or graphics put it over the edge. Konami had a lot going on back then, I'll bet a parody project didn't get quite the QA or polish some of their bigger titles did.

Yes it is Famicom. My Generation Nex can play both NES and Famicom games. It has two cart slots. The Gameboy version is Japan only, but it can be played on the US Gameboy too.

I have heard rumors that the SNES will get a retro version, much like the NES did this last holiday season. I am somewhat excited, but also wary due to Nintendo's tradition of limiting hardware releases to artificially increase demand...

I'd imagine less of a shortage, but still a shortage.

I think the NES was Nintendo chumming the waters to see if something like this would hit with the masses. I'm sure they knew it would be something but didn't account for nearly the amount of scalping that went on.

I wish they'd limit preorders to one or two per person, ip address, etc. but not announce any of it so when preorders do start the scalpers won't have time to change around their robots

They will probably have a limited run like they did for the NES version. Preorders might be the only way to guarantee getting one. Or knowing someone personally who works at a place that will receive a batch, maybe ten units. I am thinking that is what happened locally where I live. I heard that there was NES units at several locations and people were there to get them as they unpacked them. They knew the time and place. ("Yeah we will have a shipment in a couple of weeks," response shows that I am not a "favored one." ::))

I like the idea with Nintendo doing things like this, but I wish it was something a little more long term rather than limited runs. Yeah I believe that was the plan from the beginning, limited run. It totally creates inflated prices and panic among collectors. Gamers are left out of the loop. There have been plenty of "plug & play" items over the years that have been very successful and sold well.

I have had no trouble finding the retro Genesis console, but my girlfriend already neglects the Sonic Mega Collection that I bought her for the PS2. The NES would have been great just for the few games for which I do not have a hard copy. Also, the reliability of a solid state design without the corroded contacts from old cartridges would have been a nice change.

Sega gave Nintendo a run for its money early in the 16 bit market. They went after a slightly more mature audience with some of their games having a bit more violence and their focus on sports titles.

Sonic hasn't aged as gracefully as Mario and 99.9% of sports titles are throw away after a year or so, making a sega legacy system less desirable. It'd also be worth mentioning most millennial gamers haven't had a lot of sega exposure. The dreamcast was defunct by the time all but the oldest of millennials started playing video games.

Id imagine there's little demand for a sega legacy as compared to anything Nintendo would throw out.

And that is really sad. Because the Dreamcast was THE swansong for Sega as they fizzled out into just a software company. It was really the pinnacle of everything Sega. A fantastic system that died an early death. I have both the Saturn and the Dreamcast. Even though the Saturn has its games, the Dreamcast is the one that gives me the warm fuzzies.

And I agree that there is just something about the Nintendo games that never dies. I am so into the NES and SNES right now. Have been all year, since December. It is like I can't get enough.

the dreamcast was the system that could have been. Compared to other retro systems the library is limited and the gd-rom has 1/4 the storage space of a single layer dvd.

I love the little vmu, the controller, and the looks of the system itself. The games didn't seem as pixelated as ps2's early stuff and from a tinkerer's stand-point it was much easier to disassemble and reassemble.

I think with a dvd drive and some better marketing Sega could have won the day.

The Dreamcast ran so smoothly playing Quake III: Arena back then!

Between the hacking community, the ease of using pirated games, and Sega having too small of a gap (the Genesis, X16, Sega CD, Saturn, then Dreamcast) between hardware releases, what really killed the Dreamcast is that it was released too soon.

The PS2 was really strong competition. Microsoft entering the market with the Xbox had Sega nervous too. Unfortunately, it led to the system just being rushed into the market too soon to languish.

Been playing some of my NES games the last few days. Millipede has become addicting to me. ::D I get to playing and I have trouble stopping. Just one more time.

Millipede isn't millipede without that roller ball. I actually traded Zelda for Millipede (or it could have been centipede) when I was young. Worst trade ever

Centipede was the one at the arcades. NES had Millipede which was supposed to be the second game. And your right about the roller ball. Still fun though. Gameboy had Centipede, interestingly.

Please don't hold your breath. I gave up after I started seeing preorders being sold over eBay for $200 to $300. :mad:
I think present day Nintendo either hates us or they are totally incompetent when it comes to making money. These little plug and play units will sell. I don't understand the limited runs. :? If it had been something like celebrating the anniversary of the console, I could accept that. But to create a situation for scalpers and collectors to bleed any gamer dry of hard earned cash, is total unfeeling. Maybe they had good intentions, but it is not working out that way.

Yeah, this is a hard pass for me as well. Not going to be playing Nintendo's silly retail games.

retro junkie said:
Please don't hold your breath. I gave up after I started seeing preorders being sold over eBay for $200 to $300. :mad:
I think present day Nintendo either hates us or they are totally incompetent when it comes to making money. These little plug and play units will sell. I don't understand the limited runs. :? If it had been something like celebrating the anniversary of the console, I could accept that. But to create a situation for scalpers and collectors to bleed any gamer dry of hard earned cash, is total unfeeling. Maybe they had good intentions, but it is not working out that way.

They really should have learned from the Retro NES release. But it does not look like they have.

On the flip side, Atari and Genesis retro consoles just sit accumulating dust. But how many retro Atari and Sega/Sonic game anthologies have been released?

I cannot think of another instance where Castlevania II: Simon's Quest has been released in an 8-bit anthology.