PS2- Best System Ever!?

Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts | 0+
John here, telling you about the system that really turned me into a hardcore gamer and my first system ever. The Ps2 has such a great library of games (over 2000 strong). I own the fat Ps2, which has served me well over the years. I own over 70 games for the PS2. What do you think about the PS2. 8)

The PS2 has a great selection of rpgs, which is why I love it. I don't know yet if I would call it my favorite, but it's up there.

When I'm not using my fat ps2, my girlfriend is watching DVDs on it. It is versitile as a home theater component and a video game system. I love that PSone games played on it as well.

I also think of it as an heir to both the Playstation and the SNES, since the Playstation came about after Sony split from supplying Nintendo with audio chips.

The Dualshock controller line is BY FAR my favorite.

So, though it has competition out there, yes, I would agree that it is among the best, and doubtlessly my most used video game console.

As much as I hated the PS2... I Will say it was a good system for games etc.

However, I love the PS3... Idk... I'm starting to think the PS3 is better all around. That's opinionated of course.... but I really do dig the PS3 a lot.

BV :hat

PS2 had a bigger library of good games, but I like the PS3s multi-functionality. And online games. Didn't have as many good online games on the PS2.

I enjoy my PS2, and while it has a large library it also has a lot of crappy games. I would hardly call it the best system ever. It's got a lot of other systems to knock out of the way to get that title.

PS2 is a great system, but I would give it to its' older brother, the PS1. It's what gave the PS2 the momentum to be a great system, but the PS1 is where a lot of the beloved franchises began.

Polygon said:
I enjoy my PS2, and while it has a large library it also has a lot of crappy games. I would hardly call it the best system ever. It's got a lot of other systems to knock out of the way to get that title.

The SNES and??????

CreepinDeth said:
PS2 is a great system, but I would give it to its' older brother, the PS1. It's what gave the PS2 the momentum to be a great system, but the PS1 is where a lot of the beloved franchises began.

...which began with Sony manufacturing the SNES sound chip. :D

Some are mentioning the PS3, however, not all PS3 consoles are backwards compatable. Though the two consoles are from different eras, that would give the PS2 a point advantage. On the flip side of that, since the PS2 could play audio CDs and DVDs, the PS3 would gain a point for also making use of Blu ray discs.

Grindspine said:
On the flip side of that, since the PS2 could play audio CDs and DVDs, the PS3 would gain a point for also making use of Blu ray discs.
And USB media as well.

Grindspine said:
The SNES and??????

2600, Colecovision, NES, SNES, Genesis, & PS1.

At least here in the states. If we bring the national scope into it you can add some more systems to that list. Oh, and no system that breaks every other week can even be considered. So, no PS3 or 360.

Polygon said:
2600, Colecovision, NES, SNES, Genesis, & PS1.

At least here in the states. If we bring the national scope into it you can add some more systems to that list. Oh, and no system that breaks every other week can even be considered. So, no PS3 or 360.

My parents had a 2600 when I was very young. Space Invaders was the only good game on the system. Additionally, the system almost DESTROYED THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY. The NES pretty much saved the industry at that point.

Grindspine said:
My parents had a 2600 when I was very young. Space Invaders was the only good game on the system. Additionally, the system almost DESTROYED THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY. The NES pretty much saved the industry at that point.

Just because you didn't like 2600 doesn't reduce it's impact on gaming culture. Also, the 2600 was not responsible for the crash. You can blame the crash on the mass amount of companies making crappy games for the system. There were still a lot of good games for the 2600 and there are still a lot of people that love that system.

The ps2 was the first video game console to offer everything previous consoles tried to offer and what I (and I'm sure others) wanted out of their system. Until then online play was crappy. Ever since I saw a modem for my sega genesis I wanted online. The ps2 was the first system to really get that right (well by today's standards bearable) and games like socom really did it. The dvd player was ok, you could play music on it, and it's game library was amazing, not to mention it beat the xbox out by a year. The nintendo catapulted a seemingly dead industry so it deserves its fair shake but the ps2 defined what we require out of our machinery now, multimedia, online, game library; the ps2 really set the standard.

targetrasp said:
The ps2 was the first system to really get that right (well by today's standards bearable) and games like socom really did it.

Did you ever play online with the Dreamcast? Because that did it first and it worked really well. I still have fond memories of playing 2-on-2 with people over the internet.

thats right, the DC was a year or so ahead of the ps2. I remember playing some of the 2k sports games online but the game library made the dc an afterthought once ps2 got up and running, which was kinda sad, the dc graphics were so much smother.

I will admit that playing Quake III on the Dreamcast was prior to the release of the PS2 and at least as good! In the long run, the PS2 survived though.

I wouldn't say it's the best console ever but it's up there.

JohntheGameCollector said:
John here, telling you about the system that really turned me into a hardcore gamer and my first system ever. The Ps2 has such a great library of games (over 2000 strong). I own the fat Ps2, which has served me well over the years. I own over 70 games for the PS2. What do you think about the PS2. 8)

Wow! How old are you? Not to be funny but reading that makes me feel old. :lol

ThravRande said:
PS2 had a bigger library of good games, but I like the PS3s multi-functionality. And online games. Didn't have as many good online games on the PS2.

I remember playing my PS2 all the time online. Mainly Socom and Need For Speed Underground, I was a straight beast in both games.

I think PS2 had a better collection of games, but I didn't get into online gaming until PS3 so it takes the cake for me.