3d Movies and Games

Joined Jul 2004
1K Posts | 1+
Bmount
I thought with LG et al. pulling out of the 3d tv market games and movies would stop being made in 3d. I haven't seen a 3d game since the ps3 but I know NVidia did a good job at 3d for a while and there were third party drivers that could output 3d with amd inside..

The movie front seems different. Despite the lack of 3d tv sales movies are still coming out in 3d. They're 3d in the theaters and 3d releases are finding their way out on blu ray. I just preordered the Force Awakens on 3d (even though I've got both digital and blu ray copies of this movie) and I find myself praying that Disney wrests the first six from 20th Century Fox so those will get 3d treatments as well.

I guess I was one of the very few who lamented the demise of 3d but I'm glad to see it hanging on at least for a little longer.

I have a difficulty with 3D movies, simply due to the glasses that you need to wear for the effect. The reason being is that I wear glasses to see and putting 3D glasses over my own glasses is so awkward. And of course, cumbersome. I have tried a few movies at the theatre. Those at home have been the type that uses the two color for effect. I do not like that method. I wished there was a way of having the 3D without the TV needing to be specially designed for the effect. Even though I do like the 3DS, and the way it does the 3D, in short bursts, but do not use it to fully play games on the system.

I am not sure just how popular the 3D is among consumers. I know only one person that owns one of those TVs and they did not purchase it locally. The added 3D disc has been just that, added, to the movie package. I haven't seen any 3D movie packaged solo here locally. I almost get the impression that it is a niche market. The technology for TVs would need to match the price of the average TV in the marketplace for something like this to catch on as something expected for a move, or game, release.

They usually revive the 3D market, it seems, every so many years. There seems to be this cycle. At some point maybe they will get it right and it will catch fire.

I never could see 3d with the one red lens and one blue lens glasses nor could I see a Magic Eye because of the form of colorblindness I have. Talk about irritating, Rad Racer, Orb 3d, and 3d World Runner were all games family bought me for Christmases and birthdays... This was 1980 something.

After the 80's 3d didn't seem to be attempted at home until 2010ish. Active shutter 3d and Passive Polarized 3d were the two frontrunners, and it became hot for maybe 3 or 4 years.

The glasses with the batteries were laughable so when LG made the passive 3d glasses work with their televisions I was excited. I've never tried the active 3d (glasses cost tons of money and takes batteries) but the passive 3d tvs worked great for me, and if I ever needed new glasses I could just bring home the ones from a 3d movie at a theater.

Now after years of all the pundits claiming the death of 3d blu rays are still coming out.

If only that 3D tech would become a standard feature in all TVs, that would seal the deal.

It'll never completely catch on until autostereoscopic 3d becomes cost effective and not as dependent on viewing angle. The 3ds is the perfect example. It's 3d is amazing (with the right game of course) when viewed at a pretty specific distance and viewing angle. No need for glasses and no need for perfect eyes, autostereoscopic 3d will be the only thing that truly sells 3d to all. There's a research team at MIT that's developing a way to make this happen on larger screens (right now the resolution required is insane and costs a fortune). Last I heard a Chinese television developer had a glasses free 3d tv in the 50-60 inch range for some insane price (20-30k USD). The technology is out there, its just not been fine tuned yet.

I think so long as there are 3D movies come out there will always be an option for 3D blu-rays. I hardly watch them at home though. Since I've gotten my Playstation 3D monitor or whatever it's called back when it was still relatively new I have only really played Doom in 3D and the only 3D movies I know I own are Dredd and Mad Max Fury Road.

After this discussion I just realized that ICO and Shadow of the Colossus was released in a set together on the PS3 that was 3d compatible. I've got it somewhere, I bet those two games would be amazing in 3d. I'll have to try it out.

There's been some great 3d movies - Guardians of the Galaxy and Avatar worked great. The Avengers movies and even the second GI Joe movie had some cool parts. I'm hopeful of the newest star wars and star trek 3d treatments releasing soon.