Joined Jun 2004
11K Posts | 0+
Georgia
I actually have it for Gamecube, but since it's the week of the XBOX, and the game is multiplatform, I thought I'd post my thoughts on this board.

X-Men Legends just totally rocks. If you like X-Men at all, you should enjoy this game.

It's basically an action-rpg (think hack-n-slash) with a decent story to back it up. If you've played and enjoyed games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes, or even Gauntlet, X-Men Legends is kind of like that.

The best part is being able to play as the X-Men and use their powers. I haven't unlocked all of them yet, but I hear there's something like 16 X-Men to choose from. Some missions only let you use one person, but most allow for four, and you can either control all four characters or play co-op with up to 3 other people. Right now my favorite team is Wolverine, Iceman, Cyclops, and Storm. I play Wolverine and my roommate plays Cyclops. Sometimes I switch out Storm for Rogue and then I play as Rogue.

The customization on the characters is really awesome. You get to modify their stats for things like health, agility, health regeneration, and mutant energy (magic) regeneration. They also have their mutant abilities, which you can upgrade. They start out with just one power at the lowest level, and you can add more power to it and max it out, or give them a wide range of abilities and slowly max them out.

There's a lot of cool mini games and stuff. By going through the main story, you can pick up bonus features like comic books, concept art, and different multiplayer modes (which take place in the Danger Room). There's also a trivia game that gives you experience for right answers, and you can find out information on X-Men characters and their enemies.

My roommate and I just started playing this last night around 10 pm or so and then we stayed up until almost 5 am playing it (it's that good). So definitely, if you're an X-Men fan, try this game.

I really liked a lot of the things they did with this game. It's something a lot of developers need to look at. I enjoyed what I played of the game, it was a very fun and advanced beat um up. Of course the Co-Op made it much better. Hey, if your an X-Men fan this one is a no branier.

I wasn't very impressed with this game at all. I watched all the X-men cartoons as a kid, and saw both movies, but I never read the comics or anything, so I'd say I'm an average fan of the series. I thought the game was kinda fun, but mostly just boring. I play BG:DA so the gameplay wasn't anything new, and I actually found it to be kind of boring. It was really dissapointing to have to go through a mission or two before friends could join in, and due to odd camera angles, and bad level design, it takes far too long to get through those levels. When all of us finally did get to play, the experience was completely underwhelming. Nobody really cared about beating the levels cuz it was just boring, mundane, and frustrating to do so. Plus we only had 4 characters, and no one was happy with the character they got stuck with. Needless to say, within 2 hours we were playing SSB:M (we also played the GC version) instead.

Maybe its one of those games that's a lot better once someone beats it and gets all the extra characters and such. We just rented it one afternoon thinking we could jump into it and have fun, but it wasn't so easy as that.

I loved it on PS2, and naturally, dug up some information about the sequel: X-Men Legends 2: Rise of the Aopcalypse. Prepare to be amazed. ;) (btw, I got this from ign, so you can check for yourself if you don't believe me.)

First of all, it takes place shortly after the first game. The X-Men and Brotherhood are both weakened and vulnerable after their previous fight, so a new mutant called Apocalypse take advantage of the situation and try to take over the world. If he succeed, it would be the end of both mankind and mutants. Neither the X-Men nor the Brotherhood are strong enough to fight back, so what do they do? They do what they have to and join forces to beat a common enemy. That's right. X-Men and Brotherhood, side by side all the way from the beginnng.

You have sixteen characters, and unlike the first one they are all playable from the start. One major reason for this is that the PS2, X-Box and PC version will have online support (yes, online), while the Cube will have support for four players offline (guess they couldn't find four Cube owners who want this) :D. This means not only that you can select whatever mutant you want right from the start, but you can play as him or her all the way to the end - with four people, of course. No more "You wait patiently while I go through this boring stuff on my own". This time you have the entire team all the way through. :D

More, the levels are about three times the size of the levels in the first game, and the game will last longer. And since this is about saving the world, you have five HQ's to play with. The normal X-Mansion, the Brotherhood HQ and three yet to be revealed HQ's.

As for skills, this was something that lacked in the first game. The different X-Men felt too much the same, but this is changed in X-Men 2. The skills will be much deeper, and since you have both X-Men and Brotherhood the characters will be much more different. It can only be an improvement either way.

I don't have a clue who will be in and who will be out, except Wolverine, Storm, Bishop and Magneto are confirmed to be playable. Furthermore, Angel and Emma Frost are confirmed as NPS's. (who knows, maybe you can unlock them as playable?) And best of all, with more characters there are tons of new combos. These will be easier to do, and have a more devastating effect.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this could be a bit interesting. ;)

Yeah X-men 2 has my attention and I might pick that one up. I've always liked apocalypse and makes a great enemy, especially in the cartoon version. As for that GC comment by Nightwolf, It doesnt make any sense. The GC doesnt have online capabilities so it naturally wont have online play. So they can play up to four players on one console. And I hope that eventually they have a game with onslaught in it. I think that would make for a great game also.

You have sixteen characters, and unlike the first one they are all playable from the start.

Amen. Unlockables in games may be rewarding to achieve, but it sucks renting a game and starting out with absolutely nothing, especially when its a game that's made with multiplayer in mind.

The cube don't even have online support? Guess that proves my point? ;) The PS2 has online support and a multitap so four people can play on one console.

As for unlockables, I want lots of that. If you start with every character and every costume, why do you bother playing more than once, and how many of you will play for the story alone? I mean no offense, but this is the X-Men. We came, we saw, we kicked his butt. That pretty much summons up the entire history of the x-men stories. The question is what kind of unlockables you want. I do hope we can have a few more characters as unlockables as well as the sixteen you start with.

Nightwolf said:
The cube don't even have online support? Guess that proves my point? ;) The PS2 has online support and a multitap so four people can play on one console.

Yeah I know. But you said this,

"while the Cube will have support for four players offline (guess they couldn't find four Cube owners who want this)."

That sentence doesnt make any sense. Do you mean they couldnt find four cube owners who want online play? Cuz if thats the case then they can keep wanting all they want, they arent going to get it on the cube. So if its not there then why would they want go and waste time to find four cube owners that want it?

I meant they couldn't find four Cube owners who wanted to play X-Men Legends 2 online. You just confirmed it when you said the Cube owners can't play online at all. :D

Nightwolf said:
I meant they couldn't find four Cube owners who wanted to play X-Men Legends 2 online. You just confirmed it when you said the Cube owners can't play online at all. :D

Of course not becuase there is no online play. So why would they even want to look for them is what im saying.

X-Men Legends 2 online play would suck anyway. Seriously, playing games like that multiplayer are only fun if the people are in the same room as you. I played LOTR:ROTK online on my friend's PS2 system, and to be perfectly honest, it was more fun playing by myself. It was basically like playing with computer allies, except I had to share kills with him. X-Men Legends 2 online would be the same thing...

If you start with every character and every costume, why do you bother playing more than once, and how many of you will play for the story alone?

I don't play for the story, in fact I rarely ever watch cutscenes in videogames because 1) I don't have time, and 2) as you said, the story usually sucks anyway. I also don't play through games just unlock extra features. Like I said, unlocking stuff is fun and all, but I'd rather the game just give me the tools to have fun with right off the bat. I mean, its not like they couldn't have a single player story mode where you have to unlock everything, as well as a multiplayer mode where you start off with everything available to you. I play games to have fun, I don't want to have to work through the game just so I can go back and enjoy it later.

stealth toilet said:
X-Men Legends 2 online play would suck anyway. Seriously, playing games like that multiplayer are only fun if the people are in the same room as you. I played LOTR:ROTK online on my friend's PS2 system, and to be perfectly honest, it was more fun playing by myself. It was basically like playing with computer allies, except I had to share kills with him. X-Men Legends 2 online would be the same thing...

I don't play for the story, in fact I rarely ever watch cutscenes in videogames because 1) I don't have time, and 2) as you said, the story usually sucks anyway. I also don't play through games just unlock extra features. Like I said, unlocking stuff is fun and all, but I'd rather the game just give me the tools to have fun with right off the bat. I mean, its not like they couldn't have a single player story mode where you have to unlock everything, as well as a multiplayer mode where you start off with everything available to you. I play games to have fun, I don't want to have to work through the game just so I can go back and enjoy it later.

You make some valid points Stealth but a lot of other people such as myself want a game that has loads of replay value. Now to someone who doesnt have time as yourself then of course it would be better to pick it up and play. Its hard to please everyone.

anyone have any idea which one I should get.

I just wanna play it co-op.

So am I better off getting 1 or 2?

I'd play 1. You should really play the first one in order to understand the story in part 2. Also, coop is nearly the same. So instead of paying more money for number 2, just get number 1. :)

I bought 1 and I like it a lot. I played co-op and got pretty far.

tons of fun

I bought Hunter Reckoning last night and i like it.

the thing I like better than xmen is you can re use characters you made in new campaigns.

I saw someone play X-Men Legends 2 and I wasn't too impressed with the change in the interface. I think I'd prefer playing X-Men Legends still.