The Retron 3 Console (Mini-review)

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
Another clone enters the fray. There are many on the market lately, but this one isn't too bad.

Retron3-1.jpg

So it comes in black and red. I choose red because it's Mario's birthday today! 3 in 1 console. Plays NES, SNES, and Genesis. Only difference is the system comes with wireless controllers shaped like the Majesco Genesis brand controllers and they require 2 AAA Batteries. Don't like that? Well don't worry, because you can use an NES, SNES, or Genesis controller of your choice! It has ALL THREE PORTS!

Retron3-7.jpg

System is pretty shiny and self-explanatory. Nice dial controls which system you wish to play and the rest/power switches are primary.

Controller ports from each side.

Retron3-5.jpg

Retron3-4.jpg

Retron3-6.jpg

RetronController.jpg

Retron3-3.jpg

Controller with a display on the back of it of the button layout depending on which game you are playing. Also the little dots on them tells you who is Player 1 and who is Player 2 since it's already synced up to the system.

Now on the back of the console we see it supports S-Video signal for SNES & Genesis. The NES does not of course. Upon further inspection, there is a little dip switch that says O/J. No, it's not the KILLER button, but it's kind of cool. It will allow you to play Japanese Super Famicom cartridges. Makes me wonder if it will work on Japanese MegaDrive games. Sorry original Famicom, the cart slot is much too big.
Retron3-2.jpg

Let's see how she runs!

Metroid.jpg

RetroControlNES.jpg

It loves Metriod and used a real NES controller just in case.
CV2.jpg

It loves CastleVania 2.
Ghosts.jpg

It loves Ghosts N Goblins
DrMario.jpg

It loves Dr. Mario
So far so good...right?

WWFRaw.jpg

Sega Genesis side, we have WWF RAW running. Very nicely handled I'd say and the controller works nicely.

Solictise2.jpg

As for the SNES side, I didn't have the proper controller and ended up using the red controller which is okay but a tad confusing. I assume it works grand, but I found out a new secret. It can play European Super NES games, because the game you are seeing is EQUINOX: Solstice II which I got for dirt cheap on Ebay a year ago as an experiment for the RETRO DUO. So major respect for a console clone that can play ALL three regions in one hit!

I like this console so far, it's classy. Yet there are some problems.

CONS:

BOO.jpg

It cannot play CastleVania 3 Dracula's Curse. :( Due to it's unique chip inside, this saddens me since other cloned systems have perfected this already on the "Retro Duo" system. BOO!

The Wireless Controllers have a weak signal, you must be facing the console. DO NOT place it higher or lower than needed.

The sound on Streets of Rage 2 on Genesis is odd, the music doesn't have the same beat in stage 1.

PROS:
JACKAL.jpg

3 in 1 Systems are great to have a nice conversational piece and cost the same price as a brand new single PS3 or Xbox 360 game. The red LED lights tell you the controller is doing good and responding.
The red shell is very nice, but the black one ain't bad either. Yet for import fans of Super NES classics, this is a sure fire winner. HOWEVER, I need to get a hold of Star Fox SNES & Super Mario RPG to complete this review. Since those are the worst two headaches for any clone system.
In the end, I give this system a 6 out of 10. As long as it can play my JACKAL (2nd favorite NES game) I'm okay!

Nice mini review, and great to see your selection of classics. Metroid and Castlevania II would be among the top ones I'd pop into the console first too!

It's a bummer that Castlevania III didn't work. That particular cart had several hardware issues with any third-part add-ins. I recall it didn't work with the Game Genie type either.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The Game Genie did have issues.

Argh, I want to do a retro podcast.

SNES.jpg

SuperNova.jpg

Round 2. Purchased a SNES controller and two games: Street Fighter 2 and Taito's SUPER NOVA.
The controller is responsive and the emulation is pretty solid.

You got me interested. I have come to think more of the importance of clone systems, being that I do retro gaming as my main diet. The original hardware is getting old and maybe those capacitor's time is running out. Even purchasing used original hardware you are still dealing with old stuff.

I have thought about a Retro Duo, but this with all three has perked my interest. I like that red shell. Nice review.

I am assuming that it is the usual thin plastic found in anything made in China?

And I would be interested in knowing if it will run Yoshi's Island and Star Fox. My Yobo FC16 SNES Portable will.

I presently use a Generation NEX to play my NES games on. My daughter has "our" original NES system.
NEX2.jpg

NEX was a great system, it broke my heart that it could not play CastleVania 3.

The Retro Duo is by far the king of the hill of clones. It can play everything properly that I have thrown at it.

The triple systems however, are still in prototype stages, and I hope they fix these issues soon.

As for the plastic, yes you are correct. Same China brand.

Update: It is not compatible with Star Fox. Which automatically tells me, it will not perform the same for other troublesome carts like Super Mario RPG.