Mega's LOST TREASURES! Part 1: Konami's lost gem from Japan!

Joined Jan 2005
18K Posts | 0+
Waco, TX
Fukuda Geppu Maden Getsufuu!!
Creepy name right? Should be, it's one of the finer titles from the Nintendo Famicom or as we call it, the NES. Created by KONAMI and only released in Japan, this particular gem was based on the original CastleVania gamplay and graphic engine. Many of it's sound effects were borrowed from The Goonies on NES from 1986 (Notice part 2 was released in America only?) Fukuda Geppu Maden Getsufuu (aka The Legend of Fuma) is the story of a Japanese Samurai warrior named Fuma who uses the ghostly spirits of his ancestors to vanquish the demons from the lands of ancient Japan! How sweet is that?

I discovered this lost gem thanks to the Xbox Live Arcade downloadable title entitled, CastleVania Harmony of Despair. A recent DLC add-on let's you add the original graphical game of Legend of Fuma as a real stage and the sprite of 8-bit Fuma to play as. So thanks to my spidey-senses of craving more lost games, I had to find it, play it, and talk about it! However, this is NOT an easy game to obtain as a psychical copy. Even on Yahoo Auctions or Ebay can this game fetch $70-$90! So sadly, I was forced to go the other route, emulation. Well, all I have to say is someone port this badboy to the Virtual Console. It's amazing! Plus a catchy soundtrack that hauntingly reminds me of the TurboGrafx 16 classic, "Ninja Spirits".

To sum up, I like the style of this particular awkward game. It tries to be overhead map like Zelda 2, but CastleVania 1/2 gameplay! However, it's quite a challenge and by that I mean a kick in the balls. I just wish I knew what the heck the old ladies are saying, but I have found English translated ROM copies of this game. Apparently, they just give you advice or sometimes sell you an item to help you on your quest.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this! I still continue to dig up something from the past and see what you, the people think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV1u3T1lHlQ

^ Gameplay of "Getsufuu Maden"